Homelessness and povertry are a choice. You will never eliminate either.

With homelessness, there are really only two reasons; 1. mental illness and 2. laziness. However, mental illness is not as clear cut as it seems. It is not only those who talk to themselves and wander aimlessly. A lot of them self medicate with drugs and/or alcohol which only makes the problem worse. Alcohol is easy to come by while prescription drugs for anxiety, depression, etc. demand that one go to a doctor and pay for these drugs. Some will counter that free clinics exist. Yes, they do. However, these clinics can only provide services for those who admit to having a problem and do not come into their office wasted. 

Having been homeless for 8 weeks once, I can say that those who end up homeless due to bad luck can easily rectify their situation in a month or two if they are willing to be very resourceful and diligent. If one is homeless for any length of time (2 months +) then there is mental illness or choice involved. 

Just now, slideman said:

The facts disagree with you. Rents in Seattle have gone higher than someone can manage on a minimum wage job

So the only possible outcome for someone is renting an apt on their own. They can't possibly sublet? Rent a room? Rent a couch? Move somewhere else? I got off the street by finding someone who would rent their closet under the stairs (yes, insert bad joke) to me for $300 per month in Salt Lake City. Had my only alternative been renting an apartment on my own, that would have been $1000 or more. 

Just now, Wallco1 said:

Min wage jobs are not supposed to be career jobs. They are a starting point for young people. Get a real job losers

For someone on the street, min wage jobs are about the only options available in the short term. however, all is not lost. Given enough diligence and resourcefulness, one can use a min wage job (or close to it) to rise up out of it. The big issue is that it takes more than one day or one week. 

47 minutes ago, Wallco1 said:

Poor work ethic is the biggest reason. Mental illness is the next.  

Not my job to eliminate both, It is my duty to not become either. Isn't that what self reliance is all about personal responsibility. Civility is a social responsibility and directing civic minds that won't, don't, can't unable get a vote to take away what self reliant people do to take care of their own isn't morally superior, legally precedented, or ethically sound. but that is what every social reality making up societal evoluiton practiced ancestrally has been doing historically to currently never ending form expecting things to get better before the species wipes itself out defending hypothetical standards that gave rights to those taking advantage of civil soles by a collective contextual soul.

Based on what I've read the minimum wage was intended to be a living wage when it was established in the 1930's.  When there are more people than jobs, employers are able to squeeze their workers by cutting wages or not keeping up with inflation.

Homelessness and povertry are a choice. You will never eliminate either.

Certainly not with DemocRATS in power.

In fact, do you know that Obama changed the definition of poverty so that there would always be poverty?

And look where homelessness is the most prevalent.   DemocRATic states and cities.