A Series of Generalizations (with examples!)

kking

The left-wing is more relative and individualistic on social matters (artistic pursuits, uncontrolled self-expression, genderfluidity, moral relativism), but collective on fiscal matters (welfare, health care for all, high taxation for gov’t services).

The right-wing is more collective on social matters (family and churches, cultural unity and assimilation, national pride), but individualistic on fiscal matters (accepting that long-term suffering for financial wealth is normal, governments shouldn't control “my” money, corporations do mostly good for society, even if they’re greasy and corrupt).

The left-wing is more emotional and in-the-moment (crying on election night 2016, citing Palestinian suffering in the Mideast debate, lamenting deaths of young black men but not investigating any further), the right-wing is more detached and oriented with long-term trends and patterns (‘we’ll get ‘em next time,’ or ‘but the Democrats did this twenty years ago, why are you only angry about it now?’ or ‘both parties are pretty despicable, but I’m gonna side with the one that discourages people from cutting their dicks and tits off’).

The left-wing (pre-Obama) was more anti-nation building and anti-foreign meddling (Gulf war, Afghanistan, Iraq); the left-wing is now pro-nation building and foreign meddling, I suspect because they felt compelled to defend Obama and Clinton's foreign policy (Libya, Syria, Egypt, drone strikes). [Interesting here that the arguments made by liberals in the last 8 years to defend foreign meddling are IDENTICAL to the arguments made by conservatives for foreign meddling in 2003! This is a good iodine test to see if someone is a partisan hack or a principled voter: were they on the same page with Iraq as they are with Syria].

Liberal parallel scenarios (each begins and ends with an emotional instinct, doesn’t care about the financial costs):

I sympathize with poor people, so I hate rich people and highly-profitable corporations

I sympathize with foreign poor people, so I hate people who enforce border laws

I sympathize with foreign poor people, so I hate that border agents don’t put children in jail with their parents

I sympathize with sick people without medical coverage, so I hate anyone who impedes free health care

I hate Trump, so I sympathize with the Kurds (whom I just learned about last month), so I’m against pulling troops out of Syria

I hope this helps everyone understand why it sometimes feels like we're speaking different languages...because we are starting out with very different premises. 

1 minute ago, leftwinger said:

you're stupid and tiresome

Are you disputing the examples I gave? (not to mention that you responded without reading the whole thing; kind of an emotional response, eh?)

slinger is a Prog cave.

3 minutes ago, kking said:

The left-wing is more relative and individualistic on social matters (artistic pursuits, uncontrolled self-expression, genderfluidity, moral relativism), but collective on fiscal matters (welfare, health care for all, high taxation for gov’t services).

The right-wing is more collective on social matters (family and churches, cultural unity and assimilation, national pride), but individualistic on fiscal matters (accepting that long-term suffering for financial wealth is normal, governments shouldn't control “my” money, corporations do mostly good for society, even if they’re greasy and corrupt).

The left-wing is more emotional and in-the-moment (crying on election night 2016, citing Palestinian suffering in the Mideast debate, lamenting deaths of young black men but not investigating any further), the right-wing is more detached and oriented with long-term trends and patterns (‘we’ll get ‘em next time,’ or ‘but the Democrats did this twenty years ago, why are you only angry about it now?’ or ‘both parties are pretty despicable, but I’m gonna side with the one that discourages people from cutting their dicks and tits off’).

The left-wing (pre-Obama) was more anti-nation building and anti-foreign meddling (Gulf war, Afghanistan, Iraq); the left-wing is now pro-nation building and foreign meddling, I suspect because they felt compelled to defend Obama and Clinton's foreign policy (Libya, Syria, Egypt, drone strikes). [Interesting here that the arguments made by liberals in the last 8 years to defend foreign meddling are IDENTICAL to the arguments made by conservatives for foreign meddling in 2003! This is a good iodine test to see if someone is a partisan hack or a principled voter: were they on the same page with Iraq as they are with Syria].

Liberal parallel scenarios (each begins and ends with an emotional instinct, doesn’t care about the financial costs):

I sympathize with poor people, so I hate rich people and highly-profitable corporations

I sympathize with foreign poor people, so I hate people who enforce border laws

I sympathize with foreign poor people, so I hate that border agents don’t put children in jail with their parents

I sympathize with sick people without medical coverage, so I hate anyone who impedes free health care

I hate Trump, so I sympathize with the Kurds (whom I just learned about last month), so I’m against pulling troops out of Syria

I hope this helps everyone understand why it sometimes feels like we're speaking different languages...because we are starting out with very different premises. 

Interesting perspective.

Not flawless, but interesting.

The right-wing is more collective on social matters (family and churches, cultural unity and assimilation, national pride), but individualistic on fiscal matters (accepting that long-term suffering for financial wealth is normal, governments shouldn't control “my” money

kj

5 minutes ago, KneeJerk said:

[2nd quote]

The underlying difference, I think, is that conservatives was voluntary communal stuff, while liberals want government mandated communal stuff. The most important point, however, was the Democrat flip-flop on foreign meddling. That was a big black-pill for me...told me that "the establishment" vs. the middle class is a better, more accurate way to look at government than by left-wing/right-wing.

Also important to point out: the partisan hacks downplayed drone strikes, overstated Assad's alleged "gas attacks" with the same tone as Republicans defended the Bush/Cheney/Rumsfeld foreign policy.