This is part 2 of 'the shining.'  Personally, i think Stephen King is grossly overrated.  Just because he is a prolific author doesnt mean his work was of any quality.  It just means he produced more garbage than other authors.  Has anyone seen this movie? If so, is it just as boring as his other movies and books? Ive read  Pet Semetry, It,  The Stand, Tommy knockers, The Talisman, Cujo, Carrie , the Dream catcher and a lot of his short stories. Its always the same: zzzz...zzz...until the last 25% of his books. Then the story starts to get interesting.  Even then, its stupid. So i stopped reading his crap. If i wanted to be bored, i would just listen to a typical Hillary speech. 

If you saw this movie, do you recommend it?

Im going to see it in 30 minutes. Ill let you all know my opinion of it...not that you all care, but ill let you know anyway.  

37 minutes ago, Vegas said:

...not that you all care....

Was Steve King a wacko who became a great writer or a writer who became a wacko after fame.

3 hours ago, Vegas said:

This is part 2 of 'the shining.'  Personally, i think Stephen King is grossly overrated.  Just because he is a prolific author doesnt mean his work was of any quality.  It just means he produced more garbage than other authors.  Has anyone seen this movie? If so, is it just as boring as his other movies and books? Ive read  Pet Semetry, It,  The Stand, Tommy knockers, The Talisman, Cujo, Carrie , the Dream catcher and a lot of his short stories. Its always the same: zzzz...zzz...until the last 25% of his books. Then the story starts to get interesting.  Even then, its stupid. So i stopped reading his crap. If i wanted to be bored, i would just listen to a typical Hillary speech. 

No I don't recommend it. As far King's work is concerned The Talisman (coauthored with Peter Straub), Tommyknockers, and The Stand are probably his best efforts. Of course, King is a horror-fantasy author, and shouldn't be considered in the same class as Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, Campbell, Bradbury....etc. 

We are talking about a FICTION writer....providing his Readers with idle pursuits of fancy and imagination.......King isn't Herodotus or Plato or Jung.  

Virtually EVERY tale ever crafted and book ever written by Man or Men is just a retelling of the same old Iliad-style fight between Man's ego and his vengeance-providing personal Gods.

Plot Summary

Act One

1. Man foolishly thinks he matters in the grand scope of things.

2. God(s) remind Man he ain't squat.

3. Man tells God(s) to go pound sand.

4. God(s) punishes Man by applying torments.

Act Two

5. Man resists, despite torments.

6. God(s) apply more torments.

7. Man continues to resist, despite realizing utter uselessness of battling forces larger than Man.

8. God(s) worsen torments.

Act Three

9. Man finally relents, but nothing is learned and the Wheel of Life grinds on until Man forgets and foolishly thinks he matters. Roll credits.......

Repeat plot and theme ad infinitum, changing only the time period, location, scenery, role-playing ancillary characters, and torments. Apply new title. 

4 hours ago, Vegas said:

Oops. I forgot to give the movie a review.

Doctor Sleep

** (two stars)

Comment: REDRUM. REDRUM. REDRUM!

11 hours ago, Fit2Serve said:

No I don't recommend it. As far King's work is concerned The Talisman (coauthored with Peter Straub), Tommyknockers, and The Stand are probably his best efforts. Of course, King is a horror-fantasy author, and shouldn't be considered in the same class as Heinlein, Clarke, Asimov, Campbell, Bradbury....etc. 

We are talking about a FICTION writer....providing his Readers with idle pursuits of fancy and imagination.......King isn't Herodotus or Plato or Jung.  

Virtually EVERY tale ever crafted and book ever written by Man or Men is just a retelling of the same old Iliad-style fight between Man's ego and his vengeance-providing personal Gods.

Plot Summary

Act One

1. Man foolishly thinks he matters in the grand scope of things.

2. God(s) remind Man he ain't squat.

3. Man tells God(s) to go pound sand.

4. God(s) punishes Man by applying torments.

Act Two

5. Man resists, despite torments.

6. God(s) apply more torments.

7. Man continues to resist, despite realizing utter uselessness of battling forces larger than Man.

8. God(s) worsen torments.

Act Three

9. Man finally relents, but nothing is learned and the Wheel of Life grinds on until Man forgets and foolishly thinks he matters. Roll credits.......

Repeat plot and theme ad infinitum, changing only the time period, location, scenery, role-playing ancillary characters, and torments. Apply new title. 

Nice. Thanks. I appreciate all of this. I saw it last night. You are right. There was nothing original.  I give it 2.5 stars. Im only giving it a half extra star than you because the villian was smoking hot. She had a perfect body. 

11 hours ago, Fit2Serve said:

Oops. I forgot to give the movie a review.

Doctor Sleep

** (two stars)

Comment: REDRUM. REDRUM. REDRUM!

I found the movie; The Shining, rather BORING! Cujo was pretty good.

I've read my share of King because I dated a girl whose favorite author was King. So you do what you gotta do. I've read: The Shining, Pet Sematary, The Green Mile, Misery, Nightshift, The Mist, and probably a few others. Plus a lot of short stories.  His best work isn't even horror, Shawshank Redemption. King is just okay in my book. I'll never figure out why Kubrick picked King to adapt to film. That said, he made a decent film. Personally, I value King's nonfiction a great deal. On Writing and Danse Macabre are excellent books. He is a tremendous resource when it comes to knowing about horror literature and film. He has also read a lot outside the genre. King has stated he feels that H.P. Lovecraft is the best horror author of the 20th Century. It is hard to argue with that, though I would lean towards Thomas Ligotti.

And I have no intention of watching Dr. Sleep. Would be interested to know of people's impressions though.

I watched Dr. Sleep this afternoon; liked it.  Haven't read the book yet.