WillFranklin

The Musical Masterpieces Of The '70s

This is going to be a thread for the musical masterpieces of the 1970s which were my formative years I believe since I was born in 1969. I am not going in any particular order. Just any and all music that is worth posting from the decade.

I begin with the song with that great early 70s sound that is the title track from the 1971 album "People Like Us" which I had used here for my signature for many years. With each song I will post information.

People Like Us is the fifth and final studio album released by the American folk rock vocal group The Mamas and the Papas. Released in November 1971, (three years after the group originally split) the album came to be because the former members of the group were still under contract with Dunhill Records. The group had originally been signed to the label when it was run by their original producer Lou Adler, but by 1971, Dunhill's distributor, ABC Records, had purchased the label and discovered the clause in the group's original contract. According to their contract, the group had to produce one more album, or else be in breach of contract and subject to possible fines. The album is considered a disappointment by fans and critics. Nevertheless, it sold moderately well (#84 on the Billboard Pop Albums Chart).[1] It was produced byJohn Phillips. Michelle Phillips would later write in the liner note of a Mamas & Papas CD compilation that the album "sounded like what it was, four people trying to avoid a lawsuit".

Next is a 1978 song by Heart that I think stands out musically called Magazine, another title track.

Magazine is the third studio album by American rock band Heart. It was originally released on April 19, 1977, by Mushroom Records in unfinished form, without the band's permission. A second authorized version of the album was released on April 22, 1978. The album has been certified platinum in both the United States and Canada.

And then there is You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine by Lou Rawls.

"You'll Never Find Another Love like Mine" (written by Kenny Gamble & Leon Huff) is a song performed by R&B singer Lou Rawls on his 1976 album All Things in Time. The song proved to be Rawls' breakthrough hit, reaching number one on both the R&B[1] and Easy Listening charts as well as number four on the dance chart[2] and number two on the US Billboard Hot 100, where it was kept from the top spot for two weeks by "You Should Be Dancing" by The Bee Gees[3] and "(Shake, Shake, Shake) Shake Your Booty" by KC and the Sunshine Band,[4] respectively. This was the first and only time that one of Rawls' records managed to reach Billboard's pop top ten. It was the first big hit for Philadelphia International to feature the reformulated MFSB, after many of the original members left Gamble and Huff for better opportunities.[5] The song started Rawls' live shows from 1977 on.

The single went on to sell over a million copies and was certified gold by theRIAA.[6]

I will try to limit it to three at a time. I have so many ideas from my childhood that are not in any order.

Of course by the time I was ten there was the skating rink and the disco music went oonda oonda oonda in the late seventies.

Unfortunately few people find disco songs to be masterpieces, but here are some good ones.

"Last Dance" is a song by American singer Donna Summer from thesoundtrack album to the 1978 film Thank God It's Friday.[1] It was written byPaul Jabara, co-produced by Summer's regular collaborator Giorgio Moroderand Bob Esty, and mixed by Grammy Award-winning producer Stephen Short, whose backing vocals are featured in the song.

"Last Dance" became a critical and commercial success, winning the Academy Award and Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song, the Grammy Award for Best Female R&B Vocal Performance, and peaked at number three on theBillboard Hot 100 chart, all in 1978.

And then there is the earliest of the disco songs to ever go oonda oonda oonda in the first place, but it is not quite a masterpiece but it can still be in here.

"Love Hangover" was the fourth number one single for Motown singer Diana Ross. Ross recorded "Love Hangover" in 1975. It was released in March 1976, and rose to number one on the Billboard Hot 100, Hot Soul Singles and Hot Dance Club Play charts simultaneously.

The song was written by Pamela Sawyer and Marilyn McLeod as a disconumber. Producer Hal Davis recorded the instrumental track in 1975 thinking it ideal for Marvin Gaye or Diana Ross, who were his two favorite vocalists to work with. He thought Diana would be sexier on it, so he recorded the song with her. 

That's enough disco for now. I felt it should be in here.

Okay that is not enough disco because I remembered that nine years ago I learned there is a version of Love Hangover that is a masterpiece. And here it is.

I love Stevie Nicks. Tusk and Rumours are fantastic, as well as a couple singles from other albums and her solo career: Rhiannon, Gypsy, Sleeping Angel, Stop Draggin' My Heart Around.

23 hours ago, kking said:

I love Stevie Nicks. Tusk and Rumours are fantastic, as well as a couple singles from other albums and her solo career: Rhiannon, Gypsy, Sleeping Angel, Stop Draggin' My Heart Around.

Tusk has a borderline masterpiece on the beginning of album 2 of the double album set called Angel.

Sticky Fingers and Exile on Main Street were released by the Stones in the early 70s, and remain two of the best rock and roll records ever.

Honorable mention to Let it Bleed, which was released in Dec 1969, so arguably a record of the 70s. Also a great record.

There wasn't another rock and roll record as great as these three until Elvis Costello released This Year's Model in 1978.

For another kind of music there was Over-Nite Sensation, Apostrophe, and One Size Fits All by the late great Frank Zappa, a unique genius.

Maggot Brain is the third studio album by the American funk band Funkadelic. It was recorded at United Sound Systems in Detroit during late 1970 and early 1971, before being released in July 1971 by Westbound Records. Wikipedia