https://www.seattletimes.com/business/uw-study-finds-seattles-minimum-wage-is-costing-jobs/

"The city’s escalating minimum wage has meant a slight increase in pay among workers earning up to $19 per hour, but the hours worked in such jobs have shrunk, a study commissioned by the city found. It estimates there would be 5,000 more such jobs without the Seattle law. "

• Replies 668
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Laboratories of Democracy: what Seattle learned from having the highest minimum wage in the nation

The city adopted a $15 minimum wage four years ago. Here’s what happened.

By Matthew Zeitlin Updated Jul 22, 2019, 9:07am EDT
"

The data, researcher Mark C. Long explained, suggested a “tipping point” between $11 and $13 “when it becomes less tenable to keep work in the city.” (Critics were quick to point out that this likely wasn’t solely due to the minimum wage policy — Seattle’s labor market continued to heat up during that period, reducing the number of low-wage jobs compared to high-wage jobs overall.)

But a year later, the team published another paper that complicated their findings. They looked at the same time period and same wage increase, but this time broke down the actual take-home pay of workers. They found that workers who were already employed at the low end of the wage scale in Seattle “enjoyed significantly more rapid hourly wage growth,” following wage increases in 2015 and 2016.

Those who were already working more hours before the wage increase saw “essentially all of the earnings increases,” while the workers who had fewer hours saw their hours go down, but wages go up enough so that their overall earnings didn’t really change. They theorized that a slowdown in new hiring for low-wage jobs could explain their earlier findings that overall payroll had gone down.

Ultimately, workers already employed either saw their take-home pay go up or stay roughly the same while working fewer hours.

Here's my thoughts on the federal minimum wage. The present it is $7.25 it should be left at that level for anyone under the age of 18. Anyone above the age of 18 it should be $10 an hour and it should be left at that point without any increases. If a business wants to offer more money that's great if a state wants to increase their minimum wage wonderful. And whatever the market will bear let that be the deciding factor.

Minimum Wage In Australia 

The current minimum wage in Australia is $740.80 per week, which equates to a minimum hourly rate of $19.49. This minimum wage was set on May 30, 2019 and must be adhered to by all businesses operating inAustralia.Jul 30, 2019

This converts to $13.38 USD

2 minutes ago, LoreD said:

The current minimum wage in Australia is $740.80 per week, which equates to a minimum hourly rate of $19.49. This minimum wage was set on May 30, 2019 and must be adhered to by all businesses operating inAustralia.Jul 30, 2019

In which dollars? 

Aussy or US?

2 hours ago, LoreD said:

1 hour ago, peter45 said:

In which dollars? 

Aussy or US?

Read the whole post.

On 9/17/2019 at 6:13 PM, impartialobserver said:

Am quite surprised that NightHawk has not came on here

Well, while I occasionally browse the forum now and then to see what is going on, I have been a little too busy lately to post much.  But since you asked, I will make time for this thread...

and gave us the tired diatribe about jobs being lost.

What the hell does that mean?  Is this what passes for debate on this forum now?  Just blindly refer to someone's arguments as "tired", so you don't have to actually prove them wrong?  Lol...

What, if some people are rendered unemployed completely because of some moronic MW law, does this situation supposedly being "tired" mean that these people somehow won't suffer?

$3.00 per hour in SF... no adult would or could work for you.

Why the hell not?

Sorry but if you offer a job to all adults, you can't discriminate by age. 

Again, why the hell not?

On 9/17/2019 at 12:17 PM, Giujo said:

Here's my thoughts on the federal minimum wage. The present it is $7.25 it should be left at that level for anyone under the age of 18. Anyone above the age of 18 it should be $10 an hour and it should be left at that point without any increases. If a business wants to offer more money that's great if a state wants to increase their minimum wage wonderful. And whatever the market will bear let that be the deciding factor.

Why on earth should there be any moronic MW law whatsoever?  Why not simply let the market determine ALL wages???

On 9/17/2019 at 4:58 PM, LoreD said:

First of all, using a logical & common sense definition of "minimum wage", the minimum wage in Australia is NOT the number you posted.  You need to go back and Google it again.

Secondly, what the fuck would it matter even if Australia did have the MW level that you posted?  Are you claiming that if some other country does something even dumber than we do, that we should therefore increase the level of stupidity of our own policies?  Lol...

44 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Why on earth should there be any moronic MW law whatsoever?  Why not simply let the market determine ALL wages???

It's called past practices... there's precedent  for a federal minimum wage it will be very difficult to eliminate it completely... That's why I suggest it be mitigated.

37 minutes ago, Giujo said:

It's called past practices... there's precedent  for a federal minimum wage it will be very difficult to eliminate it completely... That's why I suggest it be mitigated.

So, hypothetically, if you were King and had the power to do whatever you wanted, you would wisely abolish all moronic MW laws completely?

And FYI, there were no "past practices" of moronic federal MW laws for the first roughly 150 years of this country's existence.

52 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

So, hypothetically, if you were King and had the power to do whatever you wanted, you would wisely abolish all moronic MW laws completely?

And FYI, there were no "past practices" of moronic federal MW laws for the first roughly 150 years of this country's existence.

I see the paid Young Republican poster boy has reared his empty head again. I guess you specialize in minimum wage issues. Do they pay you more than $15 an hour, I hope? Or do you get it in the form of perks, like getting to fondle the upperclassmen in your frat house, faggot?

1 minute ago, drvoke said:

I see the paid

You mean someone will actually pay me to humiliate you idiot libs?  Where the hell do I sign up for that?!?!?  I have just been doing this for fun so far.

Young Republican poster boy

I am not a Republican, moron.

has reared his empty head again.

If my head is really so "empty", then it should be extremely easy for one of you idiot libs to finally prove me wrong for a change, instead of always cowardly running away.  So what the fuck are you waiting for???

Good luck.

On 9/17/2019 at 10:35 AM, Libswatter said:

https://www.seattletimes.com/business/uw-study-finds-seattles-minimum-wage-is-costing-jobs/

"The city’s escalating minimum wage has meant a slight increase in pay among workers earning up to $19 per hour, but the hours worked in such jobs have shrunk, a study commissioned by the city found. It estimates there would be 5,000 more such jobs without the Seattle law. "

😂You mean it didn’t come out of the business owners pocket like idiotic, uneducated libtards try and claim?

10 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

If I Were King heads would roll... The guillotine will be operating 24/7 eliminating all leftists.

6 hours ago, DeepBreath said:

😂You mean it didn’t come out of the business owners pocket like idiotic, uneducated libtards try and claim?

They will never understand that most business owners, especially small business owners, operate on delicately balanced margins.

3 minutes ago, Libswatter said:

They will never understand that most business owners, especially small business owners, operate on delicately balanced margins.

They don't really want people earning a $15 minimum wage...they want the ISSUE.

If they really wanted that minimum wage they wouldn't always include exceptions for people who work for businesses that employ less that 20 people, or employees that work under a certain amount of hours in a week.

15 hours ago, Nighthawk said:

Well, while I occasionally browse the forum now and then to see what is going on, I have been a little too busy lately to post much.  But since you asked, I will make time for this thread...

What the hell does that mean?  Is this what passes for debate on this forum now?  Just blindly refer to someone's arguments as "tired", so you don't have to actually prove them wrong?  Lol...

What, if some people are rendered unemployed completely because of some moronic MW law, does this situation supposedly being "tired" mean that these people somehow won't suffer?

Why the hell not?

Again, why the hell not?

Well, good to see that you could give us another re-run of the same show. 756th repetition of the same diatribe and yet it is somehow supposed to be interesting or substantial simply due to one's being persistent and adamant.... yeah good one. 

10 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Well, good to see that you could give us another re-run of the same show. 756th repetition of the same diatribe and yet it is somehow supposed to be interesting or substantial simply due to one's being persistent and adamant.... yeah good one. 

There you go with your conspiracy theories....coward, fraud :)