leftwinger

Even Physicists Don’t Understand Quantum Mechanics

1 hour ago, splunch said:

Or...predicts outcomes in reality with astonishing reliability despite the fact that nobody really grasps it conceptually, leading to countless technologies that people take advantage of every day.

Or that.

Yes, or that.

1 hour ago, Libswatter said:

This is just lefty trying to sound smart after so many embarrassing smackdowns. Google the first line above and you'll see what I mean.

Shut up you pathetic troll.

4 hours ago, kfools said:

Applied quantum mechanics? 

Like what? 

Is this a serious question? Because I really can't imagine that you can't think of at least one thing that wouldn't exist except for the application of quantum mechanics.

3 hours ago, leftwinger said:

My understanding of physics is that there is no consensus on what gravity is. 

I'm not surprised that you don't have an understanding... But that's not really saying very much is it

3 minutes ago, leftwinger said:

Fukk you. Join a discussion or be ignored.

While I wouldn't want you to ever fuk me if you did it would probably keep you from going back to dogs

1 hour ago, Giujo said:

Is this a serious question? Because I really can't imagine that you can't think of at least one thing that wouldn't exist except for the application of quantum mechanics.

Nothing comes to mind.

In the 20th century:

superconducting magnets, light-emitting diodes, the laser and everything that depends on a laser for instance like DVD players CD players Etc, the transistor and semiconductors such as the microprocessor, medical and research imaging such as magnetic resonance imaging and electron microscopy  atomic clocks and GPS, quantum chemistry and drug research design and discovery

On the horizon:

Specific applications are expected in the fields of metrology,  and simulations. Quantum computers and cryptology

1 hour ago, Giujo said:

In the 20th century:

superconducting magnets,

They were postulated in the 18th century. I agree that's applied physics. Quantum mechanics? I think not. Just mechanics.

1 hour ago, Giujo said:

light-emitting diodes, the laser and everything that depends on a laser for instance like DVD players CD players Etc, the transistor and semiconductors such as the microprocessor, medical and research imaging such as magnetic resonance imaging and electron microscopy  atomic clocks and GPS, quantum chemistry and drug research design and discovery

On the horizon:

Specific applications are expected in the fields of metrology,  and simulations. Quantum computers and cryptology

Quantum mechanics were responsible for semi conductors? Tell me please.

Which part of quantum mechanics explain the micro processor? A brilliant feat of engineering for sure. Ask a physics professor about quantum mechanics you will get a zillion answers.

So you tell me in your own words. What is it?

On September 8, 2019 at 7:43 PM, leftwinger said:

Even Physicists Don’t Understand Quantum Mechanics

Yet you KNOW there's no supernatural creative force/designer.

LMFAO

13 hours ago, Libswatter said:

This is just lefty trying to sound smart after so many embarrassing smackdowns. Google the first line above and you'll see what I mean.

LMFAO. He doesn't understand quantum mechanics, but he understands "cut and paste." :lol:

6 hours ago, kfools said:

They were postulated in the 18th century. I agree that's applied physics. Quantum mechanics? I think not. Just mechanics.

Quantum mechanics were responsible for semi conductors? Tell me please.

Which part of quantum mechanics explain the micro processor? A brilliant feat of engineering for sure. Ask a physics professor about quantum mechanics you will get a zillion answers.

So you tell me in your own words. What is it?

Computers today need semiconductors, and Semi-conductivity is a quantum mechanical phenomena. Its based on a foundation of quantum mechanics...The electron's dual wave/particle state. Making a semiconductor work requires an understanding of these things. Where quantum mechanical calculations is necessary is with transistor technology. With the invention of the transistor the control of quantum mechanical calculations was necessary for the advances that were made.  It's not possible to manufacture advanced technology nodes below 32 nm without a good grasp of QM theory. These theories are needed to develope smaller transistors. They're used to simulate and design most of the basic building blocks of advanced chips that are being produced.

29 minutes ago, Giujo said:

Computers today need semiconductors, and Semi-conductivity is a quantum mechanical phenomena. Its based on a foundation of quantum mechanics...The electron's dual wave/particle state. Making a semiconductor work requires an understanding of these things. Where quantum mechanical calculations is necessary is with transistor technology. With the invention of the transistor the control of quantum mechanical calculations was necessary for the advances that were made.  It's not possible to manufacture advanced technology nodes below 32 nm without a good grasp of QM theory. These theories are needed to develope smaller transistors. They're used to simulate and design most of the basic building blocks of advanced chips that are being produced.

These are basic electronics that function through traditional conduction and physics. Nothing quantum about them specifically. (Yet) If quantum theory is correct, one could argue that everything is dependent on it, but there is no specific current application that is dependent on our understanding of it.

40 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

These are basic electronics that function through traditional conduction and physics. Nothing quantum about them specifically. (Yet) If quantum theory is correct, one could argue that everything is dependent on it, but there is no specific current application that is dependent on our understanding of it.

Wrong... Quantum theory is one of the most successful theories in the history of science. The development of micro processors would never have occurred without the knowledge of quantum theory and the application of quantum mechanics

On 9/8/2019 at 6:43 PM, leftwinger said:

There are two problems. One is that quantum mechanics, as it is enshrined in textbooks, seems to require separate rules for how quantum objects behave when we’re not looking at them, and how they behave when they are being observed.

When we’re not looking, they exist in “superpositions” of different possibilities, such as being at any one of various locations in space. But when we look, they suddenly snap into just a single location, and that’s where we see them. We can’t predict exactly what that location will be; the best we can do is calculate the probability of different outcomes.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/09/07/opinion/sunday/quantum-physics.html

NYT is goop from a bad dimension, (NYT is slimming the world).

9 minutes ago, Giujo said:

Wrong... Quantum theory is one of the most successful theories in the history of science. The development of micro processors would never have occurred without the knowledge of quantum theory and the application of quantum mechanics

Yes they would have. Modern processors are miniature versions of technology we developed in the 1940s. Conductive Lithography is indeed a breakthrough but its not reliant on any quantum specific knowledge. Show me a time machine, a device able to show a parallel universe, a wormhole folding spacetime.

17 hours ago, splunch said:

Except that dark MATTER does what matter does.  Like so many cosmic phenomena before, its presence can be detected and inferred from how it affects its neighbors.  We've never really laid our eyes on a black hole, either, but when you see objects moving around a center of gravity that can only be a black hole, you know it's a black hole.

Dark matter is mysterious like neutrinos are mysterious. 

Like "god" is mysterious.

17 hours ago, splunch said:

We know they're there, but we can still barely find them.  So dark matter isn't quite like just saying "god".

There is no observable or verifiable evidence of the existence of any dark matter, the same as there's no observable evidence of god holding galaxies together.

15 hours ago, leftwinger said:

Yes. Because dark matter is a consequence of what we call matter.

Dark matter is in imaginary concept that was invented to to preserve the correctness of Einsteinian relativity/gravity at those scales.  One could have just said "for whatever reasons we can't explain, Newtonian gravity equations (1/r) explain gravity on galactic scales and Einsteinian equations explain it at solar/planetary scales (1/r2).  Why one theory only works on one scale and another theory only works on another, is something we can't yet explain. 

To insert an invisible, imaginary, scientifically unverifiable thing into a theory to preserve a semblance of its correctness when it otherwise fails to explain what we observe is pretty scientifically unsatisfying.

13 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

Great a thread that states that physicists  don’t even understand it.. then a bunch of boneheads trying to act like THEY do. 

Worth talking about though.

22 minutes ago, Neomalthusian said:

There is no observable or verifiable evidence of the existence of any dark matter, the same as there's no observable evidence of god holding galaxies together.

Dark matter is indirectly observable through gravitational lensing.

http://cosmology.berkeley.edu/Education/CosmologyEssays/Gravitational_Lensing.html

https://www.nasa.gov/content/hubble-highlights-shining-a-light-on-dark-matter

This isn't God.  It's matter that we do not know how to detect yet.  We know there is matter.  We know some matter is extraordinarily hard to detect.  Looking at how dark matter bends time and space, it would require a completely baseless leap of imagination to conclude "God".  No such leap of inventive imagination is necessary to surmise that matter, which we already know exists, including in very difficult to detect forms, is doing what it always does, bending time and space.  Obviously we cannot detect it, but us not being able to see it is hardly new or remotely unusual.  We can't see x-rays, either, unless we have the right tools.  

1 minute ago, leftwinger said:

Worth talking about though.

I’ve often wondered what rocket scientist say when they are working on rocket science ? 

16 minutes ago, Imgreatagain said:

Great a thread that states that physicists  don’t even understand it.. then a bunch of boneheads trying to act like THEY do. 

Physicists do NOT understand how it all works under the hood.  But the math WORKS.  That's all.  You can use it to solve problems and find answers in the physical universe.