WillFranklin

Talk About Your State

I do not want people in North Carolina paying federal taxes for Medicaid and then not getting the expansion they paid for while other states get our money. So that is why I fully support Governor Cooper's budget compromise, and reelection bid.

Talk about your state.

I live in Michigan.

Our new governor would like to fix roads and insurance rates but the republicans in our state legislature are trying to stop her.

She wants to put a 45 cent tax on gasoline to fix the roads.

I don't mind. It's why I voted for her.

We also just legalized marijuana for recreational use.

Problem is that those pesky christians are not happy with it.

Blocking stores and festivals.

Bunch of freaks.

23 minutes ago, Squatchman said:

I live in Michigan.

Our new governor would like to fix roads and insurance rates but the republicans in our state legislature are trying to stop her.

Bunch of freaks.

There is no excuse for the prohibition of marijuana. It does create a moderate dependence in the cannabanoid receptors of the brain for many regular users. But all of them can stop if they need to with bearable discomfort and no major medical issues.

Infrastructure is a major nationwide problem neglected by Republicans.

I live in Florida, which is incredibly diverse. There are Americans of Cuban origin, people from other Spanish-speaking countries, Americans from Puerto Rico, rednecks, meth addicts, opiod addicts, people involved in defense technology and space technology, people involved in cancer research, super-religious folks of every conceivable persuasion. (Including the nutty Scientologists - whose headquarters, called "Sea Org", is in Clearwater.) There are enough Asian people to support restaurants and therefore my love of Asian foods, from Indian/Pakistani to Chinese, Vietnamese, and Japanese. I wish there were more Malay and Indonesian people. There are LGBT communities in St. Petersburg, Miami and the Florida Keys. Probably elsewhere too, but I'm not in the know.

There's lots of low-paid employment in service industries: tourism, hotels, and restaurants. Because of various taxes paid by the tourism industry, there is no state income tax.

There is significant poverty and homelessness in the state. Some of that is self-inflicted. Some of that would be helped by better social services. Some would be helped by a higher minimum wage.

We get threatened by hurricanes almost every year, starting in the summer. Summer weather, when there are no hurricanes, ranges from free saunas (95°F) to free car washes (torrential subtropical rains, with occasional concomitant flooding).

I live on the west coast of central Florida, the Gulf coast, in Tampa. The other side of the state, the Atlantic coast, is home to several properties owned by the Russian-asset-and-bedbug-breeder-in-chief.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/trump-claims-doral-bedbugs-nasty-rumor-despite-2017-legal-settlement-over-bedbugs/

4 hours ago, laripu said:

I live in Florida, which is incredibly diverse. There are Americans of Cuban origin, people from other Spanish-speaking countries, Americans from Puerto Rico, rednecks, meth addicts, opiod addicts, people involved in defense technology and space technology, people involved in cancer research, super-religious folks of every conceivable persuasion. (Including the nutty Scientologists - whose headquarters, called "Sea Org", is in Clearwater.) There are enough Asian people to support restaurants and therefore my love of Asian foods, from Indian/Pakistani to Chinese, Vietnamese, and Japanese. I wish there were more Malay and Indonesian people. There are LGBT communities in St. Petersburg, Miami and the Florida Keys. Probably elsewhere too, but I'm not in the know.

There's lots of low-paid employment in service industries: tourism, hotels, and restaurants. Because of various taxes paid by the tourism industry, there is no state income tax.

There is significant poverty and homelessness in the state. Some of that is self-inflicted. Some of that would be helped by better social services. Some would be helped by a higher minimum wage.

We get threatened by hurricanes almost every year, starting in the summer. Summer weather, when there are no hurricanes, ranges from free saunas (95°F) to free car washes (torrential subtropical rains, with occasional concomitant flooding).

I live on the west coast of central Florida, the Gulf coast, in Tampa. The other side of the state, the Atlantic coast, is home to several properties owned by the Russian-asset-and-bedbug-breeder-in-chief.

https://lawandcrime.com/high-profile/trump-claims-doral-bedbugs-nasty-rumor-despite-2017-legal-settlement-over-bedbugs/

Damn sales taxes though

17 hours ago, Squatchman said:

I live in Michigan.

Bunch of freaks.

It is interesting to note that Michigan is also one of only seven states in the nation that applies its full sales tax (6%) to gas and diesel sales. In Michigan, none of the revenue from that sales tax goes to roads.

This is one of the reasons that the roads in Michigan are so bad this is from an Oakland County Report Describing the funding crisis within Michigan I'll link it down below it's a interesting read. 

Raising the gas tax even more even though we are one of the highest in the Union already will make way more people upset than what needs to happen. 

https://www.rcocweb.org/DocumentCenter/View/188/A-Guide-to-Roads-and-Road-Funding

22 hours ago, laton said:

Damn sales taxes though

Sales tax us 8.5% in Hillsborough County, where Tampa (and I) are located.

I moved here 22 years ago from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Sales taxes there are 14.975%. Provincial and federal income taxes are higher too. What you get there are reasonable social services, including health care.

With my engineering job, company subsidised healthcare and no children, I do better here. But for 90 to 95% of the population, they'd probably do better under that system. My parents, who came to Canada as WWII refugees, often said that Canada was a great country for poor working class people like themselves.

Damn freezing cold winters though.

The video below is of the financial district in Montreal, in December 2016. The street is called Beaver Hall Hill, and it has a distinct slope. Watch. You'll gasp and giggle.

8 minutes ago, laripu said:

Sales tax us 8.5% in Hillsborough County, where Tampa (and I) are located.

I moved here 22 years ago from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. Sales taxes there are 14.975%. Provincial and federal income taxes are higher too. What you get there are reasonable social services, including health care.

With my engineering job, company subsidised healthcare and no children, I do better here. But for 90 to 95% of the population, they'd probably do better under that system. My parents, who came to Canada as WWII refugees, often said that Canada was a great country for poor working class people like themselves.

Damn freezing cold winters though.

The video below is of the financial district in Montreal, in December 2016. The street is called Beaver Hall Hill, and it has a distinct slope. Watch. You'll gasp and giggle.

I agree that those of lower incomes should get everything they need from the government in order for them to be as productive as possible in exchange for the moderate taxes they likely already pay.

38 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

I agree that those of lower incomes should get everything they need from the government in order for them to be as productive as possible in exchange for the moderate taxes they likely already pay.

Yes.

And to do that, you'd need progressive taxes, so that anyone with a salary of over $75K would pay combined state and federal taxes of 50%, and those with incomes over $5 million would pay a marginal tax of 95%. Between $50K and 5 million, marginal rates would climb progressively.

There could be deductions for children, more for adopting, deductions for education, deductions for job commuting, deductions for at-risk investments that produce jobs, and specially low-taxed professions like teaching, medical field jobs including doctors, and government/military.

But rich people would be taxed at a much higher rate.

We need this to provide needed services like universal health care and also to zero our deficit and pay down the debt.

1 minute ago, laripu said:

Yes.

And to do that, you'd need progressive taxes, so that anyone with a salary of over $75K would pay combined state and federal taxes of 50%, and those with incomes over $5 million would pay a marginal tax of 95%. Between $50K and 5 million, marginal rates would climb progressively.

There could be deductions for children, more for adopting, deductions for education, deductions for job commuting, deductions for at-risk investments that produce jobs, and specially low-taxed professions like teaching, medical field jobs including doctors, and government/military.

But rich people would be taxed at a much higher rate.

We need this to provide needed services like universal health care and also to zero our deficit and pay down the debt.

I absolutely love how you ended that post with the two topics that dominate my discussions at my direction.

Health Care and the Deficit.

Here is a funny meme I created. They HATE it! That makes it good:

Trump-Heath-Plan.jpg

9 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

I absolutely love how you ended that post with the two topics that dominate my discussions at my direction.

It was unintentional!

9 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

Health Care and the Deficit.

I like stability in a society. Stability let's us advance in a steady way, and also let's us deal with problems that pop up.

I should have added two more big concerns: ecology and climate change.

Of course, the rate of technological change means that stability is forever gone. Or else we'll come to a new balance point. (But my Grumpy Old Man™ self doubts that. Everything's going to hell. You kids get off my lawn! 😉)

California here, one of the earliest memories of politics in this state was prop 13 the property tax initiative. Gotta give the cons props for using the frail defenseless senior citizens to push this through with the storyline of these people losing their homes and winding up on the streets. The reality is most of these people would have been just fine if in fact they were forced to sell, they most likely could take the proceeds and buy a smaller more suitable home and have money left over. What really happened was the businesses got their tax rollback and modest increases also but they were not going to sell it on that. Public schools funding got decimated I remember in our district 2 high schools and multiple middle and elementary schools closing almost immediately along with deep cuts in athletic programs and school staffing. Besides the greedy corporations the elderly did no favors in hurting the education for kids so they can stay in their 5 bedroom homes all by themselves. Unfortunately California fell deeper in deception with a state sponsored lottery in the early 80's that was simply a regressive tax and did nothing to help public schools in fact even though the majorities of ticket sales were in poorer districts the money got dispersed evenly so more affluent areas enjoyed getting a financial boost without making the investment. Here lately there is momentum in the state to start to undue some of the unfair aspects of the initiative and I think the signatures are there to introduce that in the upcoming 2020 election. Looking back it should have just have been some sort of reduction or freeze of property taxes for poor elderly on fixed incomes that didnt have real feasible options but leave it to the greedy opportunists to take that narrative and use it for their own gain.

BIG news today in NC.

Our court ruled that our maps are unconstitutional gerrymander, and Republicans conceded.

Our maps will be redrawn for the next election.

We have some interesting dynamics in Nevada. Super liberal in Clark County but rather Libertarian everywhere else. Outside of the more affluent areas of Las Vegas, the attitude is no new taxes and be as weird as you want... just stay on your side of the fence. Being that the state is heavily populated with transplants from CA, AZ, and NM, we get a lot of experimentation with new ideas, methods, and such. Being that there is no tradition to break from, it is almost always an uncluttered slate (so to speak). 

14 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

BIG news today in NC.

Our court ruled that our maps are unconstitutional gerrymander, and Republicans conceded.

Our maps will be redrawn for the next election.

That's god news. Will the Republicans try some other underhanded scheme to stay in office?

1 minute ago, laripu said:

That's god news. Will the Republicans try some other underhanded scheme to stay in office?

You do know that the Republicans are in prison here for the 2018 election and a redo is going on in the NC 09 district, correct?

He he he

Southern Utah here.  Salt Lake City, to the north, is an isolated, Democratic majority enclave.  Its mayor Jackie Biskupski is a young Democrat. 

Otherwise, the state is about 70% Conservative.  Where I live, Democrats are rare.  A little joke here, when two Democrats find each other is:  "What a coincidence that out of the six Democrats here, the two of us should meet". 

This is "color country" with canyons in every direction and abundant cliffs of red rock.  Sightseers come here from all over the world and the Tourist Industry is serviced by cheap labor in the hotels and restaurants.  There is no union representation that I know of in this part of the state.  Overall, "Just 4.1 percent of Utah workers belonged to a union in 2018 — less than half the national average of 10.5 percent, according to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics".

5 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

You do know that the Republicans are in prison here for the 2018 election and a redo is going on in the NC 09 district, correct?

Nope. I didn't know. The info probably passed in front of me, was noticed, and then forgotten.

5 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

He he he

😁 Yes indeedy.

56 minutes ago, laripu said:

From your link, I vaguely remember. But I maybe getting it mixed up with Georgia, where something like that also happened, right?

I seem to remember that in Georgia, Georgia House Minority Leader Stacy Abrams was running for U.S. Senate against Sec. of State Republican Brian Kemp who purged voters in his official capacity, didn't count votes, or something but he went on to win anyway and nobody hardly blinked.

8 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

I seem to remember that in Georgia, Georgia House Minority Leader Stacy Abrams was running for U.S. Senate against Sec. of State Republican Brian Kemp who purged voters in his official capacity, didn't count votes, or something but he went on to win anyway and nobody hardly blinked.

I think it was for governor, I would love to see Abrams run for 1 of the 2 seats up for reelection in GA, make the damn racists down there puke.

1 hour ago, fourputt said:

I think it was for governor, I would love to see Abrams run for 1 of the 2 seats up for reelection in GA, make the damn racists down there puke.

Yes now that you correct me I believe that was a gubernatorial race down there.

On 9/1/2019 at 4:57 AM, Squatchman said:

I live in Michigan.

Bunch of freaks.

born and raised in Michigan. Go Michigan State...