AP FACT CHECK: Trump on human trafficking

https://www.apnews.com/4f0e224371a74c00bcd6dd41dae5584f

When Trump promised to address slavery, I was impressed.  Not so much now.

AP FACT CHECK: Trump on human trafficking

By COLLEEN LONGFebruary 5, 2019

800.jpeg

WASHINGTON (AP) — A look at one of President Donald Trump’s statements from his State of the Union address on Tuesday night and how it compares with the facts:

TRUMP: “Human traffickers and sex traffickers take advantage of the wide open areas between our ports of entry to smuggle thousands of young girls and women into the United States and to sell them into prostitution and modern-day slavery.”

THE FACTS: His administration has not supplied evidence that women and girls are smuggled by the “thousands” across remote areas of the border for these purposes. What has been established is nearly 80 percent of international trafficking victims cross through legal ports of entry, a flow that would not be stopped by a border wall.

Trump distorts how often trafficking victims come from the southern border, according the Counter-Trafficking Data Collaborative , a global hub for trafficking statistics with data contributed by organizations from around the world.

The National Human Trafficking Hotline, a venture supported by federal money and operated by the anti-trafficking group Polaris , began tracking individual victim records in 2015. From January through June 31, 2018, it tracked 35,000 potential victims. Of those, there was a near equal distribution between foreigners on one hand and U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents on the other.

Most of the labor trafficking victims were foreign, and most of the sex trafficking victims were U.S. citizens. Of foreign nationals, Mexico had the most frequently trafficked.

Edited by TrumpBGoneSoon
  • 1 year later...

I agree that Trump distorted the fact that most of all trafficking victims come from the southern border. Because as I know a lot of the trafficking victims were foreign (here we can agree that a lot of foreign where from Mexico) and most of the sex trafficking victims were usa citizens. It is very sad that such problem exists in general. Recently I read the news that the usa was again ranked as one of the worst countries in the world for human trafficking. And I think that instead of speaking we should do anything in order to help many non profit organizations to fight against human trafficking organizations.

On 8/27/2019 at 8:20 AM, NeoConvict said:

Because we know how many slaves the cartels are smuggling across the border. Its in the tens of thousands. 

Show us where somebody says we know that number. 

2 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

No, I said it's unknown.

95% of the priests that molested children are Republicans; I didn't make it up --- it is just "unknown". 

BWAAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

On 8/27/2019 at 10:53 AM, TrumpBGoneSoon said:

It will have little impact on those with the resources.  Airplanes and boats are commonly used to jump the border.  It's a cottage industry.  

So you just wanna give up and say "fuck the border" and leave the southern border wide open for anyone to cross with anything they want to, anytime they want to?

Just now, NeoConvict said:

Catholics lean democrat. 

Not in 2016.  I THINK I read that, but if presented with credible evidence that suggests otherwise, will go with the flow.  

One interesting aspect of Catholicism is the 'leanings' of the local diocese.  Conservative diocese tend to  

have conservative parishes within.  I think a greater portion of liberal diocese fall in urban areas.

As a result, you find Catholic votes splitting that way.  What do you think?  

Have you ever noticed that? 

3 minutes ago, bgr39 said:

So you just wanna give up and say "fuck the border" and leave the southern border wide open for anyone to cross with anything they want to, anytime they want to?

Use same security as Canada - security is not abandoned. 

If employers were honest and used only legal workers, we would have no problems.

THOSE people are the problem - THE DISHONEST EMPLOYERS.  Not the

illegal alien.  

There should be very HARSH punishments for employers that break illegal hiring laws.   

But, they get a pass --- from both sides.

And you wonder why NEITHER PARTY does a damn thing about immigration?  

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!

Just now, Scout said:

Use same security as Canada - security is not abandoned. 

We don't have caravans of thousands of people just marching up to the Canadian border and just walking across like we did at the Mexican border.

Tons of drugs come across the Mexican border.

Any illegal alien can just walk across the Mexican border,  We have no control over who or what comes across our southern border.

10 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

Catholics lean democrat. 

Ironically, the material I am reading says there is a debate over whether Hillary or Trump took the Catholic vote.

Sounds very close.....but I am still reading......brb

1 minute ago, Scout said:

If employers were honest and used only legal workers, we would have no problems.

THOSE people are the problem - THE DISHONEST EMPLOYERS.  Not the

illegal alien.  

There should be very HARSH punishments for employers that break illegal hiring laws.   

But, they get a pass --- from both sides.

And you wonder why NEITHER PARTY does a damn thing about immigration?  

OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!

I agree with punishment for employers that hire illegal aliens.

Of course, illegal workers is just a small part of our problem.

Do YOU wanna leave our southern border wide open for anyone or ANYTHING to cross anytime they please?

Yep.  White Catholics voted Trump.  Hispanic went for Hillary.

According to an analysis of American National Election Studies data by a political scientist at Georgetown University’s Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate, Catholic voters narrowly went for Democrat Hillary Clinton, 48 percent to 45 percent. Among Hispanic Catholics, Mrs. Clinton cleaned up handily, winning by more than 50 points.

1 minute ago, bgr39 said:

I agree with punishment for employers that hire illegal aliens.

Of course, illegal workers is just a small part of our problem.

Do YOU wanna leave our southern border wide open for anyone or ANYTHING to cross anytime they please?

Yes, leave the border open and quit hiring them.  

They will return home since they can't get work. 

5 minutes ago, bgr39 said:

We don't have caravans of thousands of people just marching up to the Canadian border and just walking across like we did at the Mexican border.

Tons of drugs come across the Mexican border.

Any illegal alien can just walk across the Mexican border,  We have no control over who or what comes across our southern border.

Well, sounds like you certainly can't justify a $25+ billion fence.  

1 minute ago, Scout said:

Well, sounds like you certainly can't justify a $25+ billion fence.  

So, you don't think that we should be able to control our southern border at ALL?