Sign in to follow this  
NeoConvict

Why should the mentally ill lose their constitutional rights to self defense?

1 minute ago, JeanMoulin said:

Sarah and Mary Todd didn't have access to a high capacity firearm either.

true but how many female mass shooters have there been ?

can you name at least one? 

I cant

Just now, chairmanOFTB said:

I cant

I can't off the top of my head. Bonny Parker does come to mind, but I'm not sure how many she killed. And of course she did have access to high capacity firearms.

2 minutes ago, JeanMoulin said:

I can't off the top of my head. Bonny Parker does come to mind, but I'm not sure how many she killed. And of course she did have access to high capacity firearms.

as with all the criminals, gangsters, bootleggers and mobsters of that era.

hence why FDR signed that federal law banning or really restricting the sale of Tommy guns/machine guns.

which is still exists today.

My grandfather tried buying one to add to his collection and the hoops he had to go through and he finally said it wasn't worth it

1 hour ago, XavierOnassis said:

So  can we conclude from this that NeoCon has been judged to be crazy?

If someone has lost touch with reality, they  should not be made to be armed and dangerous.

Most sane people have no need to be armed.

`

I don't think blacks and gays should be prohibited from possessing firearms. Gays were once jailed for their deviant nature and blacks have long been targeted for strict gun prohibitions. Can you infer I am crazy, black, and homosexual?

41 minutes ago, Skans said:

There are many different kinds of mental illness.  Homosexuality was for decades categorized as a mental illness - it still is a mental/developmental defect, just not categorized as such for political correctness.  OCD is a mental illness, but many may argue that may be a good thing when it comes to the handling and care of weapons. 

Then you get into areas of clinical depression, schizophrenia, acute paranoia, psychosis - should they have access to guns?  I don't want to deny them their basic civil liberties, but there is a very sound argument as to not permitting these types of people from having guns. Forever?  No.  But, how do you go about saying who can and who cannot have guns? 

Also, I guaranty you there will be a severe chilling effect on people seeking needed help for psychological problems if they happen to have guns.   Is the government now going to have access to our medical records to determine who should not be allowed to have guns?  Does anyone really think that is a good idea?  I have a real problem with that. 

Well said!

My concern is we pass well intentioned laws to prohibit the mentally ill from owning firearms and the government is free to change the parameters of mental illness. Following progressive or conservative dogma could be so labeled. 

17 minutes ago, JeanMoulin said:

Plenty of female suicide bombers. 

22 minutes ago, chairmanOFTB said:

I cant

San Bernardino 

2 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

Well said!

My concern is we pass well intentioned laws to prohibit the mentally ill from owning firearms and the government is free to change the parameters of mental illness. Following progressive or conservative dogma could be so labeled. 

That is one of my concerns as well.  I also think it violates doctor-patient confidentiality.  If you go see a Psych, is that now going to "go in your file"?  Controlling population incrementally is Communist doctrine and it is a dangerous road.

4 minutes ago, chairmanOFTB said:

as with all the criminals, gangsters, bootleggers and mobsters of that era.

hence why FDR signed that federal law banning or really restricting the sale of Tommy guns/machine guns.

which is still exists today.

My grandfather tried buying one to add to his collection and the hoops he had to go through and he finally said it wasn't worth it

I myself have no problem with someone legally owning a fully automatic firearm. I believe any high capacity firearm should carry the same requirements. If you want one bad enough you will not have a problem with the restrictions associated with one. You're aware that you forfeit your rights to search and seizure by the FT&A. You need to be squeaky clean, and all your paper work need to be in order at all times. You're correct that not many people will want to go through all of that. They will just buy an AR and mill a lower if they or someone they know has the skill to do that. Many years ago I knew someone who did just that. It was pretty rough if I remember, and it functioned very unreliably. Why would you want a POS like that?

1 minute ago, NeoConvict said:

San Bernardino 

ahhhhhhhh, right

except she wasn't mentally ill, she was a Wahhabist  doing in the name of Allah

although a case can be made for mental illness 

4 minutes ago, Skans said:

Plenty of female suicide bombers. 

Do you think they were mentally ill, or just terrorists? I suppose your next question would be....does it matter? Well, yes it does. Our topic is mental illness.

4 hours ago, NeoConvict said:

Only a small fraction of the mentally ill are a danger to themselves or others. Unless they are individually adjudicated as being a threat they should have access to firearms. 

They shouldn't even be allowed to buy BB guns. Why? Because they might shoot someone's eye out.

Don't be an idiot.

18 minutes ago, JeanMoulin said:

Do you think they were mentally ill, or just terrorists? I suppose your next question would be....does it matter? Well, yes it does. Our topic is mental illness.

I think that anyone who is willing to blow themselves up is mentally ill. Possibly from some form of trauma or brainwashing, but certainly mentally ill.

50 minutes ago, drvoke said:

They shouldn't even be allowed to buy BB guns. Why? Because they might shoot someone's eye out.

Don't be an idiot.

The same was said of blacks. 

3 hours ago, CrimeaRiver said:

I fully agree the mentally ill should have no access to guns.......that includes

gay-tards

gender-tards

tranny-tards

Government decides who is mentally ill. This usurpation of rights should be limited to those adjudicated to be a direct threat. I don't think those given an ex parte restraining order should lose their access to firearms either. Unconstitutional. 

9 hours ago, NeoConvict said:

Only a small fraction of the mentally ill are a danger to themselves or others. Unless they are individually adjudicated as being a threat they should have access to firearms. 

I don't agree!

12 hours ago, NeoConvict said:

they can not...the second amendment is unalienable....

3 minutes ago, bigsky said:

they can not...the second amendment is unalienable....

They try to make it very alienable. Ex got a retraining order on me for reporting our special needs twelve year old daughter for having a Myspace page under age. A judge signed it. That was the day I lost all faith in the legal system. 

2 minutes ago, NeoConvict said:

They try to make it very alienable. Ex got a retraining order on me for reporting our special needs twelve year old daughter for having a Myspace page under age. A judge signed it. That was the day I lost all faith in the legal system. 

wow....I pray she is raped to death by isis...amen..

1 hour ago, bigsky said:

wow....I pray she is raped to death by isis...amen..

Allah be praised, she lives in squalor in a lousiana trailer park. 😁

2 hours ago, NeoConvict said:

Allah be praised, she lives in squalor in a lousiana trailer park. 😁

praise allah….

18 hours ago, NeoConvict said:

Because you are a bigot. 

No, safety is the main criteria, each should be decided on a case by case basis.

On 8/23/2019 at 9:28 AM, NeoConvict said:

Red Flag laws are going to really complicate things.