Sign in to follow this  
drvoke

AOC slams Barstool Sports founder's threat to fire unionizing workers

1 minute ago, BatteryPowered said:

Rafi Letzter is NOT an union organizer, a labor relations consultant or an attorney.  He is a multimedia journalist, who's only formal education post high school is a journalism degree from Northwestern.  It is perfectly legal for a company to prohibit their employees from making unauthorized contact with the press related to company business.

That is not what you said. This is twice you have moved the goal posts. 

3 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

That is not what you said. This is twice you have moved the goal posts. 

Read the Twitter exchange CAREFULLY and note who is involved.

2 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

Sorry dude.  I have worked in management at two companies where employees attempted to unionize.  The company most certainly can conduct an informational campaign in an attempt to defeat the vote.  We did both times and were successful both times.

That is very different from stopping them from trying to unionize. They  have the right to unionize and the employer has the right to lobby against it but that is not what we are talking. The thread is about trying to fire people from even talking about it or bring up the subject. This is a third time you have moved the goalpost. 

2 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

Read the Twitter exchange CAREFULLY and note who is involved.

You are correct on that tweet. I concede your point here. 

5 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

It is not illegal for an employer to attempt to squash and effort by their employees to unionize.

I didn't say it was.  You need to read what the guy said.  He's talking about busting up a union, after the employees decided to unionize.  He talks about "busting it to smithereens" and breaking it into a million pieces.   All of this in one comment I could easily find.  It is clear from what he said that is is looking to take retaliatory action against those who attempt to unionize.  And, that is not allowed.

Some people are just idiots, and this company owner is just one of them.  You don't go around writing stuff like that if you are an owner or even in management.  AOC happens to be right about this.

3 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

That is very different from stopping them from trying to unionize. They  have the right to unionize and the employer has the right to lobby against it but that is not what we are talking. The thread is about trying to fire people from even talking about it or bring up the subject. This is a third time you have moved the goalpost. 

I'm not "moving the goalpost".  This is copied directly from the Twitter link YOU posted:

Dave Portnoy @stoolpresidente Aug 13

Follow Follow @stoolpresidenteFollowing Following @stoolpresidenteUnfollow Unfollow @stoolpresidenteBlocked Blocked @stoolpresidenteUnblock Unblock @stoolpresidentePending Pending follow request from @stoolpresidenteCancel Cancel your follow request to @stoolpresidente
More

• Copy link to Tweet
  • Embed Tweet

Dave Portnoy Retweeted Rafi Letzter

If you work for @barstoolsports and DM this man I will fire you on the spothttps://twitter.com/rafiletzter/status/1161092601036058625 

Dave Portnoy added,

Rafi LetzterVerified account @RafiLetzter
Replying to @stoolpresidente @ringer
If you work for Barstool and want to have a private chat about the unionization process, how little power your boss has to stop you, and how you can leverage that power to make your life better: my DMs are open.
6:30 AM - 13 Aug 2019

He would fire anyone who contacted Letzter.

13 minutes ago, Skans said:

He talks about "busting it to smithereens" and breaking it into a million pieces.   All of this in one comment I could easily find.  It is clear from what he said that is is looking to take retaliatory action against those who attempt to unionize.  And, that is not allowed.

No he does not.  From the OP:

"I hope and I pray that Barstool employees try to unionize," he wrote in the 2015 post. "I can’t tell you how much I want them to unionize. Just so I can smash their little union to smithereens. Nothing would please me more than to break it into a million little pieces."

Notice the word I highlighted?  At the time of his quote (in 2015...four years ago) there was no union...and as far as I can find...never was an attempt and one and there isn't a union at Barstool Sports.  Oh, and by the way...the "statute of limitations" for that would have been a whopping 6 months.  They can't file a lawsuit over the comment if they wanted to.

10 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

No he does not.  From the OP:

"I hope and I pray that Barstool employees try to unionize," he wrote in the 2015 post. "I can’t tell you how much I want them to unionize. Just so I can smash their little union to smithereens. Nothing would please me more than to break it into a million little pieces."

Notice the word I highlighted?  At the time of his quote (in 2015...four years ago) there was no union...and as far as I can find...never was an attempt and one and there isn't a union at Barstool Sports.  Oh, and by the way...the "statute of limitations" for that would have been a whopping 6 months.  They can't file a lawsuit over the comment if they wanted to.

So, the idiot is also poor with grammar, I get it.  How do you smash a union into smithereens if they have not yet unionized?  When he says "Just so I can smash their little union to smithereens" he is saying that once there is a union in place, he will retaliate against those who organized the union.  Look, that's not all the guy said either.  I'm just picking out one dumb tweet of his which some Union Lawyer will have a field day with. 

But, hey, if you think this Barstool owner is on firm ground by tweeting this stuff  - well, that's your opinion. 

11 minutes ago, Skans said:

So, the idiot is also poor with grammar, I get it.  How do you smash a union into smithereens if they have not yet unionized?  When he says "Just so I can smash their little union to smithereens" he is saying that once there is a union in place, he will retaliate against those who organized the union.  Look, that's not all the guy said either.  I'm just picking out one dumb tweet of his which some Union Lawyer will have a field day with. 

But, hey, if you think this Barstool owner is on firm ground by tweeting this stuff  - well, that's your opinion. 

Smash the EFFORT to unionize, numbnuts.  Are you really so dense that you cannot make that interpretation?   Besides...If there is not now, or ever has been, an effort to unionize Barstool it doesn't matter anyway.  Remember, it IS NOT the employees of Barstool who are currently attempting to unionize.  It is the employees of The Ringer.

From the OP:

In a tweet Monday, Portnoy criticized employees at The Ringer, a sports and culture website, for trying to unionize. Portnoy linked to an article he previously wrote in 2015 when Gawker writers tried to unionize.

FYI...Gawker is also not affiliated with Barstool or the majority owners of Barstool.

5 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

Smash the EFFORT to unionize, numbnuts.  Are you really so dense that you cannot make that interpretation?   Besides...If there is not now, or ever has been, an effort to unionize Barstool it doesn't matter anyway.  Remember, it IS NOT the employees of Barstool who are currently attempting to unionize.  It is the employees of The Ringer.

From the OP:

In a tweet Monday, Portnoy criticized employees at The Ringer, a sports and culture website, for trying to unionize. Portnoy linked to an article he previously wrote in 2015 when Gawker writers tried to unionize.

FYI...Gawker is also not affiliated with Barstool or the majority owners of Barstool.

I don't know who owns what entity.  I assumed it was the owner of Barstool who was talking about his, Barstool's employees attempting to unionize. 

4 minutes ago, Skans said:

I don't know who owns what entity.  I assumed it was the owner of Barstool who was talking about his, Barstool's employees attempting to unionize. 

You really shouldn't try to think for yourself.  I do suggest you work on reading comprehension and learn to use one of the many search engines available.

1 hour ago, BatteryPowered said:

You really shouldn't try to think for yourself.  I do suggest you work on reading comprehension and learn to use one of the many search engines available.

You are taking this far too serious. LOL

11 hours ago, drvoke said:

Image result for AOC slams Barstool Sports founder's threat to fire unionizing workers

AOC is correct. What he threatened to do is AGAINST THE LAW. His employees shouldn't wait. They should sue his ass right now. He came back at AOC with a smartass response. Watch what happens today. He will change his tune big time. He will apologize and grovel like a dog.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/aoc-slams-barstool-sports-founders-threat-to-fire-unionizing-workers/ar-AAFLliX?ocid=spartanntp

(Full article at above link)

WASHINGTON – Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., on Tuesday criticized Dave Portnoy, the founder of sports blog Barstool Sports, after he threatened to fire any employee that was seeking advice on how to start a union.

Rafi Letzter, a staff writer for Live Science, replied to Portnoy's tweet on Tuesday, saying his inbox is open to Barstool writers who want advice on starting a union.

"If you work for @barstoolsports and DM this man I will fire you on the spot," Portnoy replied to the tweet.

Under the National Labor Relations Act, it is illegal for companies to fire or discipline employees for being involved with or trying to create a union.

Ocasio-Cortez said that Portnoy is likely breaking the law with his tweet.

"If you’re a boss tweeting firing threats to employees trying to unionize, you are likely breaking the law &can be sued,in your words, 'on the spot,'" she wrote in a tweet. "ALL workers in the US have the protected freedom to organize for better conditions."

The New York Department of Labor also pushed back against Portnoy's tweet.

"It is illegal to take any unfavorable action – including termination – against employees for union-related activities under the National Labor Relations Act," the department wrote on Twitter. "New York is a proud union state. We say no way, no how to intimidation, threats and union busting."

For his part, Portnoy responded to the New York congresswoman with a GIF.

We will see how this response holds up today. Here's a clue: IT WON'T.

What he should do is let the idiots start unionizing, then close the business.

NO ONE who OWNS their own business should have to negotiate with labor Nazis. 

You don't like your pay and benefits????? DON'T accept employment, DUMBASS?

1 minute ago, DeepBreath said:

What he should do is let the idiots start unionizing, then close the business.

NO ONE who OWNS their own business should have to negotiate with labor Nazis. 

You don't like your pay and benefits????? DON'T accept employment, DUMBASS?

Do you know any history after FDR and The New Deal? That's not how it works, clown.

Just now, drvoke said:

Do you know any history after FDR and The New Deal? That's not how it works, clown.

That's how it SHOULD WORK. 

Employees don't OWN the business and SHOULD have ZERO say so in day to day operations.....

Fortunately, the market has already eliminated almost all private sector union jobs. 

17 hours ago, drvoke said:

AOC is correct. What he threatened to do is AGAINST THE LAW.

BUT she is OK with a 1,000,000 people breaking the law by crossing the border illegally. ???

16 minutes ago, king of the county said:

Why doesn’t he run against her next election?

That would put the soup can in second, and Ocho-Cinco Cortez in third.

Ha!

8 minutes ago, Blue Devil said:

That would put the soup can in second, and Ocho-Cinco Cortez in third.

Ha!

I"d vote for the soup can, given the two options