Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
drvoke

AOC slams Barstool Sports founder's threat to fire unionizing workers

Recommended Posts

 

Image result for AOC slams Barstool Sports founder's threat to fire unionizing workers

 

 

 

AOC is correct. What he threatened to do is AGAINST THE LAW. His employees shouldn't wait. They should sue his ass right now. He came back at AOC with a smartass response. Watch what happens today. He will change his tune big time. He will apologize and grovel like a dog.

 

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/aoc-slams-barstool-sports-founders-threat-to-fire-unionizing-workers/ar-AAFLliX?ocid=spartanntp

(Full article at above link)

 

WASHINGTON – Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., on Tuesday criticized Dave Portnoy, the founder of sports blog Barstool Sports, after he threatened to fire any employee that was seeking advice on how to start a union.

 In a tweet Monday, Portnoy criticized employees at The Ringer, a sports and culture website, for trying to unionize. Portnoy linked to an article he previously wrote in 2015 when Gawker writers tried to unionize.

"I hope and I pray that Barstool employees try to unionize," he wrote in the 2015 post. "I can’t tell you how much I want them to unionize. Just so I can smash their little union to smithereens. Nothing would please me more than to break it into a million little pieces."

Rafi Letzter, a staff writer for Live Science, replied to Portnoy's tweet on Tuesday, saying his inbox is open to Barstool writers who want advice on starting a union.

"If you work for @barstoolsports and DM this man I will fire you on the spot," Portnoy replied to the tweet.

Under the National Labor Relations Act, it is illegal for companies to fire or discipline employees for being involved with or trying to create a union.

Ocasio-Cortez said that Portnoy is likely breaking the law with his tweet.

"If you’re a boss tweeting firing threats to employees trying to unionize, you are likely breaking the law &can be sued,in your words, 'on the spot,'" she wrote in a tweet. "ALL workers in the US have the protected freedom to organize for better conditions."

The New York Department of Labor also pushed back against Portnoy's tweet.

"It is illegal to take any unfavorable action – including termination – against employees for union-related activities under the National Labor Relations Act," the department wrote on Twitter. "New York is a proud union state. We say no way, no how to intimidation, threats and union busting."

For his part, Portnoy responded to the New York congresswoman with a GIF.

 

 

 

We will see how this response holds up today. Here's a clue: IT WON'T.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ROFLMAO!!!!
 

You DO realize that once they "Unionize", that the EMPLOYER does NOT have to negotiate or in any manner RECOGNIZE the union as valid???

 

Which means, these "employees" are SUBJECT TO DISMISSAL if they fail to report for work as scheduled!!!

 

You goddamn SCHITSTAINS are some really MORONIC and stupid losers.

 

And you WORSHIP stupid MORONS as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, MidnightMax said:

ROFLMAO!!!!
 

You DO realize that once they "Unionize", that the EMPLOYER does NOT have to negotiate or in any manner RECOGNIZE the union as valid???

 

Which means, these "employees" are SUBJECT TO DISMISSAL if they fail to report for work as scheduled!!!

 

You goddamn SCHITSTAINS are some really MORONIC and stupid losers.

 

And you WORSHIP stupid MORONS as well.

 

 

 

 

Do you idiots have any clue as to what kind of damage a disgruntled employee can cause? I do. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, drvoke said:

 

 

Do you idiots have any clue as to what kind of damage a disgruntled employee can cause? I do. 

 

Steal secret formulas for one 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The essence of what labor unions do—give workers a stronger voice so that they can get a fair share of the economic growth they help create—is and has always been important to making the economy work for all Americans. And unions only become more important as the economy worsens.

One of the primarily reasons why our current recession endures is that workers do not have the purchasing power they need to drive our economy. Even when times were relatively good, workers were getting squeezed. Income for the median working age household fell by about $2,000 between 2000 and 2007, and it could fall even further as the economy continues to decline. Consumer activity accounts for roughly 70 percent of our nation’s economy, and for a while workers were able to use debt to sustain their consumption. Yet debt-driven consumption is not sustainable, as we are plainly seeing.

What is sustainable is an economy where workers are adequately rewarded and have the income they need to purchase goods. This is where unions come in.

Unions paved the way to the middle class for millions of American workers and pioneered benefits such as paid health care and pensions along the way. Even today, union workers earn significantly more on average than their non-union counterparts, and union employers are more likely to provide benefits. And non-union workers—particularly in highly unionized industries—receive financial benefits from employers who increase wages to match what unions would win in order to avoid unionization.

Unfortunately, declining unionization rates mean that workers are less likely to receive good wages and be rewarded for their increases in productivity. The Employee Free Choice Act, which is likely to be one of the most important issues debated by the 111th Congress, holds the promise of boosting unionization rates and improving millions of Americans’ economic standing and workplace conditions.

Unions help workers achieve higher wages

Union members in the United States earn significantly more than non-union workers. Over the four-year period between 2004 and 2007, unionized workers’ wages were on average 11.3 percent higher than non-union workers with similar characteristics. That means that, all else equal, American workers that join a union will earn 11.3 percent more—or $2.26 more per hour in 2008 dollars—than their otherwise identical non-union counterparts.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, SixShooter said:

I love Daves response to Allahu-Ockbar Cotex. FUKK that bitch.

 

You'll disappear when he grovels like a whipped dog later today.

 

I wonder if his business has been audited by the IRS lately.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, drvoke said:

 

You'll disappear when he grovels like a whipped dog later today.

 

I wonder if his business has been audited by the IRS lately.

What is DM in the article mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, drvoke said:

 

 

Do you idiots have any clue as to what kind of damage a disgruntled employee can cause? I do. 

 

 

AND, that's PRECISELY why you can FIRE THEM!!!

 

LEGALLY DO SO too!!!

 

I'm glad to know that you are now officially a "labor law attorney".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, king of the county said:

What is DM?

 

Direct message or contact them by e-mail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, splunch said:

I think Portnoy's cocaine habit is starting to really catch up with him.

 

He is definitely not thinking clearly to make a statement like he did on social media. And then to follow-up a caution by a popular member of Congress with a "oh, I'm scared"  GIF. He better own most of the stock in his company or he will go the way of John Schnatter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, drvoke said:

You'll disappear when he grovels like a whipped dog later today.

 

I'm sure you'll keep us posted. I know for certain that I'll be watching this thread for your update....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SixShooter said:

 

I'm sure you'll keep us posted. I know for certain that I'll be watching this thread for your update....

 

Thanks, but you don't have to hang on my every word. Get a life.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, drvoke said:

 

Image result for AOC slams Barstool Sports founder's threat to fire unionizing workers

 

 

 

AOC is correct. What he threatened to do is AGAINST THE LAW. His employees shouldn't wait. They should sue his ass right now. He came back at AOC with a smartass response. Watch what happens today. He will change his tune big time. He will apologize and grovel like a dog.

 

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/aoc-slams-barstool-sports-founders-threat-to-fire-unionizing-workers/ar-AAFLliX?ocid=spartanntp

(Full article at above link)

 

WASHINGTON – Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, D-N.Y., on Tuesday criticized Dave Portnoy, the founder of sports blog Barstool Sports, after he threatened to fire any employee that was seeking advice on how to start a union.

 In a tweet Monday, Portnoy criticized employees at The Ringer, a sports and culture website, for trying to unionize. Portnoy linked to an article he previously wrote in 2015 when Gawker writers tried to unionize.

"I hope and I pray that Barstool employees try to unionize," he wrote in the 2015 post. "I can’t tell you how much I want them to unionize. Just so I can smash their little union to smithereens. Nothing would please me more than to break it into a million little pieces."

Rafi Letzter, a staff writer for Live Science, replied to Portnoy's tweet on Tuesday, saying his inbox is open to Barstool writers who want advice on starting a union.

"If you work for @barstoolsports and DM this man I will fire you on the spot," Portnoy replied to the tweet.

Under the National Labor Relations Act, it is illegal for companies to fire or discipline employees for being involved with or trying to create a union.

Ocasio-Cortez said that Portnoy is likely breaking the law with his tweet.

"If you’re a boss tweeting firing threats to employees trying to unionize, you are likely breaking the law &can be sued,in your words, 'on the spot,'" she wrote in a tweet. "ALL workers in the US have the protected freedom to organize for better conditions."

The New York Department of Labor also pushed back against Portnoy's tweet.

"It is illegal to take any unfavorable action – including termination – against employees for union-related activities under the National Labor Relations Act," the department wrote on Twitter. "New York is a proud union state. We say no way, no how to intimidation, threats and union busting."

For his part, Portnoy responded to the New York congresswoman with a GIF.

 

 

 

We will see how this response holds up today. Here's a clue: IT WON'T.

 

 

You can't fire people for trying to start a union. If you are competitive in your business, people will not want to start a union. It's a simple as that. If they do decide to unionize, you can close your business or move it. That's your call. The biggest problem I have is AOC targeting private companies or any government official trying to target private companies for political gain. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, drvoke said:

 

He is definitely not thinking clearly to make a statement like he did on social media. And then to follow-up a caution by a popular member of Congress with a "oh, I'm scared"  GIF. He better own most of the stock in his company or he will go the way of John Schnatter.

He looks and acts like a coke head.  They seem to think they're slick, but boy are they obvious.  It does horrible things to everyone it touches.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Redoctober said:

You can't fire people for trying to start a union. If you are competitive in your business, people will not want to start a union. It's a simple as that. If they do decide to unionize, you can close your business or move it. That's your call. The biggest problem I have is AOC targeting private companies or any government official trying to target private companies for political gain. 

AOC is correct though, as you understand.  Pretty dumb of the guy to write on any public forum about what he did.  The biggest problem I have with AOC is that she is a SOCIALIST DINGBAT. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guy owns 49% of Barstool Sports and when he sold controlling interest three years ago (to The Chernin Group), he contractually retained 100% control of their content.  Since then, the valuation of the company has risen from $24 million to just over $100 million, unique visitors to their site has risen from just over 8 million to almost 66 million, and Portnoy brokered a partnership with Baker Mayfield to release a clothing line that benefits Special Olympics.  Given all that, it's not likely the investment group is going to do anything to their "cash cow".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lawsuit could reasonable claim that Portnoy's Tweets alone constitute an illegal effort to block employees from exploring and learning about unions.  Since he SAID that he would fire anybody who looked into it...  If they want to sue him, they could, and I cannot imagine how they would lose, considering the threats against would-be union organizers is public record.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, splunch said:

A lawsuit could reasonable claim that Portnoy's Tweets alone constitute an illegal effort to block employees from exploring and learning about unions.  Since he SAID that he would fire anybody who looked into it...  If they want to sue him, they could, and I cannot imagine how they would lose, considering the threats against would-be union organizers is public record.  

 

That would only be true is he has final authority related to employment decisions.  They can also simply shut down that office and relocate it since their "product" is all online.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, BatteryPowered said:

 

That would only be true is he has final authority related to employment decisions.  They can also simply shut down that office and relocate it since their "product" is all online.

No, he said he would destroy people utterly, and anybody thinking about looking into a union would absolutely be very worried about crossing him after those tweets.  There is no rational legal reason for why that would only matter if he were the "final authority related to employment decisions", whatever you think that means.

 

Any fool can see he is threatening people if they dare to try to organize.  And only a fool would argue that the employees would not be intimidated by that.

 

So I guess now is where you start that argument...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

22 minutes ago, splunch said:

(1) No, he said he would destroy people utterly, and anybody thinking about looking into a union would absolutely be very worried about crossing him after those tweets.  (2) There is no rational legal reason for why that would only matter if he were the "final authority related to employment decisions", whatever you think that means.

 

(3) Any fool can see he is threatening people if they dare to try to organize.  And only a fool would argue that the employees would not be intimidated by that.

 

So I guess now is where you start that argument...

 

Just for reference, this is from the OP:

 

In a tweet Monday, Portnoy criticized employees at The Ringer, a sports and culture website, for trying to unionize. Portnoy linked to an article he previously wrote in 2015 when Gawker writers tried to unionize.

"I hope and I pray that Barstool employees try to unionize," he wrote in the 2015 post. "I can’t tell you how much I want them to unionize. Just so I can smash their little union to smithereens. Nothing would please me more than to break it into a million little pieces."

Rafi Letzter, a staff writer for Live Science, replied to Portnoy's tweet on Tuesday, saying his inbox is open to Barstool writers who want advice on starting a union.

"If you work for @barstoolsports and DM this man I will fire you on the spot," Portnoy replied to the tweet.

 

 

 

 

Related to your point I numbered 1...he DID NOT say he would destroy people.  In the tweet he referenced on Monday (which is 4 years old), he said he would "smash their little union to smithereens" and that he would be happy to "break it into a million little pieces".  So he was talking about the union effort should it happen at Barstool...not the people.  It is also worth noting that the people currently trying to unionize work for The Ringer...which is NOT owned by Barstool's majority owner and Portnoy does not play any role at The Ringer.

 

Related to your point that I numbered 2...Portnoy can do nothing to the people who work for other companies.

 

Related to your point that I numbered 3...Portnoy DID NOT threaten to fire anyone trying to organize.  He threatened to fire anyone who contacted Rafi Letzter.  By the way, Mr. Letzter is not a union organizer, he is not a labor relations consultant and he is not an attorney.  He is simply a multimedia journalist.  FYI, an employer can tell their employees that anyone who contacts a reporter (journalist) about company matters will be terminated.  That is perfectly legal.

 

It might be helpful to read more carefully in the future.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...