personreal

Which Party Dropped the A-Bomb...Twice on Innocent Citizens

1 minute ago, theLion said:

Your memory does not serve. Japan rejected the Potsdam ultimatum, and was fully prepared to fight to the end, even to the point of planning to kidnap their Emperor to prevent surrender. 

As if the trollery wasn't obvious enough, these relentless war hawks are going to pretend to argue against the a-bomb on Japan as if that was some sort of Liberal thing???

No. 

Just no.

4 minutes ago, theLion said:

Your memory does not serve. Japan rejected the Potsdam ultimatum, and was fully prepared to fight to the end, even to the point of planning to kidnap their Emperor to prevent surrender. 

When so many historians can't agree on the absolute truth of what happened...you think you know more than they do?

26 minutes ago, Skans said:

They were still fighting the US hard as ever.  Let's not forget, they attacked us first.  The wrath we unleashed on Japan was completely justified.  When a country goes to war with us, I am not one to believe that their citizens are "off limits" from retaliation.  War needs to be ugly, and those two nukes produced some very ugly results. 

If Russia was behind a significant attack on American soil, I would want our military to annihilate Moscow and St. Petersburg - every last man, woman, child and Russian dog. 

And of course, that would feel your heart with glee.

Most people do not waste their time thinking about vengeance for improbable events.

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

And of course, that would feel your heart with glee.

Only if Russia attacked us first.  Otherwise, I wish to see no harm brought upon any Russian national.  I simply used Russia as an example.  I would say this about any country, even the UK or Israel,  that launches an intentional attack on US soil. 

Years ago, I met Truman when my school paid a visit to the Truman Library in Independence, MO. The famous painter Thomas Hart Benton was working on a mural, and Truman stopped by to see how it was going. I think I was in the 6th grade.

Truman was NEVER a Republican so far as I know. He never ran as a Republicans and that can be proven by just checking the facts online. As a senator, he got a lot of flak from politicians of both sides because of his ties to the Pendergast machine in KC. He decided to improve his reputation and when he heard of waste and corruption of some military suppliers, he got in his car (a Chrysler) and drove to the military base where he found that items ordered and paid for were fewer than on the contract, and he reported it.

The Japanese sent a memo offering to surrender after the first A-Bomb, but it was worded in a flowery diplomatic version of Japanese, and the translator the military has was a peasant and did not understand that it was an offer to surrender. So they dropped a second bomb, and sent a more intelligible letter.

In 1940, most Americans wanted to stay out of the War. Pearl Harbor changed their minds. There were Republicans and Democrats that wanted the US to intervene, but they were in the minority.

14 hours ago, SpyCar said:

That's not true. Truman was a Democratic Senator prior to be chosen as FDRs running mate.

Bill

I was just about to post that and Bill beat me to it

Truman started his political career in 1934 as a Democrat

Didn't Pendergast say something about getting an office boy set up as VP, referring to Truman?  That was the thing where they rigged the primary and got Wallace out of the way.  God knows how differently things might have gone if that hadn't happened.

Sad it was the democrats that founded the KKK

Sad it was a democrat that dropped the ABomb on innocent people!!

3 minutes ago, splunch said:

Didn't Pendergast say something about getting an office boy set up as VP, referring to Truman?  That was the thing where they rigged the primary and got Wallace out of the way.  God knows how differently things might have gone if that hadn't happened.

Henry Wallace was a great man and very smart. We would probably have been better off had he become president when FDR died. I suggest that anyone interested in this read a biography about Wallace.

21 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Years ago, I met Truman when my school paid a visit to the Truman Library in Independence, MO. The famous painter Thomas Hart Benton was working on a mural, and Truman stopped by to see how it was going. I think I was in the 6th grade.

Truman was NEVER a Republican so far as I know. He never ran as a Republicans and that can be proven by just checking the facts online. As a senator, he got a lot of flak from politicians of both sides because of his ties to the Pendergast machine in KC. He decided to improve his reputation and when he heard of waste and corruption of some military suppliers, he got in his car (a Chrysler) and drove to the military base where he found that items ordered and paid for were fewer than on the contract, and he reported it.

The Japanese sent a memo offering to surrender after the first A-Bomb, but it was worded in a flowery diplomatic version of Japanese, and the translator the military has was a peasant and did not understand that it was an offer to surrender. So they dropped a second bomb, and sent a more intelligible letter.

In 1940, most Americans wanted to stay out of the War. Pearl Harbor changed their minds. There were Republicans and Democrats that wanted the US to intervene, but they were in the minority.

FDR wanted to intervene (and did as much as he could through lend-lease).

FDR was the leader of the Democratic Party and (thank goodness) the President of the United States.

The world dodged a bullet that GOP isolationists were not in the White House.

Bill

12 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Henry Wallace was a great man and very smart. We would probably have been better off had he become president when FDR died. I suggest that anyone interested in this read a biography about Wallace.

Nah, Truman was a better choice.

Bill

6 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

FDR was the leader of the Democratic Party and (thank goodness) the President of the United States.

Bill

So you agreed with nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki?  :huh:  Really?

Just now, SpyCar said:

Bill

Had Wendell Wilkie  been president in 1941, he would also have declared war on Japan after Pearl Harbor, and Germany would have declared war on the US. Perhaps the war might have been fought in a slightly different manner, but I don't think the outcome would have been different. Before you tell me how wrong I am, read a biography about Wilkie as I did.l

4 minutes ago, SpyCar said:

Nah, Truman was a better choice.

Bill

We would not likely have ended up in a Cold War had Wallace been president. You ought to read a bio of Wallace if you really want to understand history.

1 minute ago, XavierOnassis said:

We would not likely have ended up in a Cold War had Wallace been president. You ought to read a bio of Wallace if you really want to understand history.

It's tantalizing reading.  A bit maddening, though, to learn about how aggressive the West was with the USSR, how many times they went back on their word regarding expanding NATO.  Very possibly you are correct.  We might have skipped the whole explosive proliferation of nuclear weapons if we had learned to live civilly with them.  It was the Haves who simply would not have it, though.

Wallace understood Stalin and the Russians and Truman was a good man and a sincere man, but sort of a yokel when it came to foreign affairs. Wallace was from Iowa, but he was a college graduate and Truman was not. Wallace graduated from Iowa State and dedicated himself to  improving crop yields and as very successful as both an agronomist and a businessman.

You foreigners stop trying to divide my country. It doesn't matter what party was in charge during WW2.

If Japan had developed the bomb first they may have used it on us.

Remember Pearl Harbor.

Thread renamed to "Idiot right-wing war mongers try to pretend Liberals committed atomic atrocity in WWII".

11 minutes ago, MTHead said:

If Japan had developed the bomb first they may have used it on us.

If your grandmother had been born with wheels, she might have become a bicycle.

2 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

You may be correct. That would NOT have been a good thing.

Communism NEEDED to be confronted and contained. Nothing has changed in that regard.

100 million victims of communist tyranny is quite enough.

Basta!

Bill

2 hours ago, XavierOnassis said:

Wallace understood Stalin and the Russians and Truman was a good man and a sincere man, but sort of a yokel when it came to foreign affairs. Wallace was from Iowa, but he was a college graduate and Truman was not. Wallace graduated from Iowa State and dedicated himself to  improving crop yields and as very successful as both an agronomist and a businessman.

Stalin was pure evil. Anyone who believed otherwise was a dope. College degree or not.

Bill

3 hours ago, RollingRock said:

So you agreed with nuking Hiroshima and Nagasaki?  :huh:  Really?

You'd have preferred a million deaths in an invasion of the Japanese homeland?

Bill

Just now, SpyCar said:

Stalin was pure evil. Anyone who believed otherwise was a dope. College degree or not.

Bill

Without Stalin, WWII would most likely have been lost.

The Cold War was a huge loss of money and lives and did neither side any good.

We gained nothing from the Korean War, the Vietnam War or the nuclear arms race.

The US over the years has been allies with LOTS of dictators as bad as Stalin, they just did not rule countries as large as the USSR.

You are obsessed with Communists. You sound like a Cuban octagenarian.

3 minutes ago, XavierOnassis said:

Without Stalin, WWII would most likely have been lost.

say what? how do you figure that?