Sign in to follow this  
dontlooknow

Fed cutting rates as economy slows. See the tax cuts didn't work.

1 minute ago, Duck615 said:

😎😎😎😎😎

so... you got nothing?

just vacuous insults.

yawn

1 minute ago, maineman said:

so... you got nothing?

just vacuous insults.

yawn

I got the truth unlike you!!!

2 minutes ago, DeepBreath said:

And for some reason you think I give a shit? 🤣

I have no such delusions.

9 minutes ago, peter45 said:

Good thing that the world and American economics haven't changed since 1929.

Good thing that the oil pipeline will never leak,

and contaminate the underground water,

so that irrigation can keep another "dust bowl" from occurring.

All good "conservatives" know that mechanical things NEVER fail.

48 minutes ago, splunch said:

Kansas knows all about right-wing trickle-down thievery.

trickle-down

Is that where all the stores are filled with stuff that nobody has any money to buy?

3 hours ago, dontlooknow said:

For forty years we been cutting taxes as the deficits grow. 

With the exception of the Clinton years, which is further proof that raising taxes on the wealthy works.

1 hour ago, WillFranklin said:

With the exception of the Clinton years, which is further proof that raising taxes on the wealthy works.

No willie. That’s not proof. 

In order to prove causation, you would have to remove all other variables which economists have done.....

Tax cuts expand the economy.

Tax increases contract the economy.

ceteris paribus

Take an economics course so you don’t look so stupid parroting the same false and disproven talking point. 

3 hours ago, DeepBreath said:

No willie. That’s not proof. 

In order to prove causation, you would have to remove all other variables which economists have done.....

Tax cuts expand the economy.

Tax increases contract the economy.

ceteris paribus

Take an economics course so you don’t look so stupid parroting the same false and disproven talking point. 

Every time we cut taxes on the wealthy, we get a recession. Every time we raise taxes on the wealthy, we prosper.

Who cares what hand wavers say?

Common sense tells me that taking a dollar away from the government, which spends the whole dollar, and giving it to a wealthy individual, who spends less than half of it, will not stimulate anything.

Just now, WillFranklin said:

Every time we cut taxes on the wealthy, we get a recession. Every time we raise taxes on the wealthy, we prosper.

Who cares what hand wavers say?

Common sense tells me that taking a dollar away from the government, which spends the whole dollar, and giving it to a wealthy individual, who spends less than half of it, will not stimulate anything.

Hey Will, when was the last depression? 12th time I am asking.

5 hours ago, WillFranklin said:

I don't think raising taxes was of the essence there.  I think what really produced a surplus was rapid de-regulation of a lot of industries, including banking, which opened the door to rampant speculation, driving a massive stock market bubble, that made lots of people paper rich.  It blew up in 2000, you'll recall.  Only, we blew it back up with a real estate bubble, until that exploded.  Then we blew it all back up again with just trillions of dollars of free-flowing capital from the gubmint, which to this day has sustained a general bubble in the marketplace.

It is worth noting, though, that raising taxes during the Clinton years did NOT do what the moron trickle-downers are always screeching about.  The economy ran wild and people invested a LOT of money and businesses threw themselves into the emerging Internet, despite the fact that they had to pay taxes.  It didn't kill business.  Just like it didn't kill business in 1950.  Or 1960. Taxes are the cost of doing business.  You pay so that the public can maintain a stable, reliable, honest marketplace and all of the infrastructure required, so that hard working people can earn a good living.  Otherwise, you wind up with Kansas.  

I can't believe so many Americans are willing to turn America into a third world country so that the Koch brothers can write down a bigger number at the end of the year.

Just now, splunch said:

It is worth noting, though, that raising taxes during the Clinton years did NOT do what the moron trickle-downers are always screeching about.  The economy ran wild and people invested a LOT of money and businesses threw themselves into the emerging Internet, despite the fact that they had to pay taxes.  It didn't kill business.  Just like it didn't kill business in 1950.  Or 1960. Taxes are the cost of doing business.  You pay so that the public can maintain a stable, reliable, honest marketplace and all of the infrastructure required, so that hard working people can earn a good living.  Otherwise, you wind up with Kansas.  

I can't believe so many Americans are willing to turn America into a third world country so that the Koch brothers can write down a bigger number at the end of the year.

So the government was able to take care of everybody then.

Now Republicans are trying to drown people in the bathtub.

Hey Will... When was the last depression? 16th time I am asking you the question. Sad you can't give me an answer. Why did you say there was one recently? 

6 minutes ago, WillFranklin said:

So the government was able to take care of everybody then.

Now Republicans are trying to drown people in the bathtub.

I really think it comes down to short-sightedness.  That's why the limits we had worked so well for a long time, and we didn't see any severe crashes for decades.  Glass-Steagall set limits that were based on broad risks, possibilities of corruption, of bad decision making, of the slow crawl of greed gradually eroding real market efficiency and competitiveness.  Once we started allowing people to go around those limits, because, hey....what could possibly go wrong?...the dominoes started to fall.  People start to push the limits, seeking greater profits by tweaking the system a little bit here, a little bit there.  It all makes perfect sense, nothing to see here...we've got it under control...  But allowing financiers and bankers to police themselves without limits has always led to the sort of crashes we saw in 2008.  Nobody can ever see specifically what weak spot is going to bring it all down, and they are blinded by the profits they are earning into thinking that there are no weak spots, and then it blows up in all of our faces.  There are always weak spots.  People will always push the limits of good sense, risking the stability and efficiency and honesty of the market just a wee little bit for profits today.  And eventually the little liberties taken form a crack.

It has been this way for centuries, ever since we have had markets of this type, going back to the tulips.  There has never been a generation truly capable of dynamically fathoming all of the risks they are capable of creating, on the fly, in real time, so they eventually blow themselves up.  Only actual conservative, systemic limitations on certain kinds of behaviors have succeeded for any length of time.  And we blew them all up starting in the 80's and really continuing through to today.