Sign in to follow this  
LoreD

Quorn No Plastic Packaging Vegan Chicken Fillets

They just started stocking Quorn (a British brand) and I opened the cardboard box and there was NO PLASTIC WRAPPING ON THE FILLETS.  Most of Europe has banned single use plastics, so this might be the benefit.  No more plastic bags like Gardein, MorningStar, Beyond Beef, etc.  

The fillets were just loose in the box.  Just a cardboard box with mock chicken fillets inside.

I have been very upset with the plastic wrapping inside the cardboard box.  The cardboard box is sealed.  Why do we need the plastic wrap inside the package.  Some are plastic wrapped on the outside of the box, and then plastic wrapped again inside the box.  Two layers of plastic.

I have been a little upset with Beyond Beef, Morningstar, and the rest of the American Vegan mock meat companies regarding the plastic.  I saw on TV that the Beyond Beef black plastic trays are not recyclable because the machines can't read the symbols on black plastic.

I have been making my own chickpea patties, but I like to keep a few convenience items in the freezer, so Quorn definitely has all my future business.

14 hours ago, LoreD said:

Most of Europe has banned single use plastics

We need to do the same here in the US.   But it will never happen, on a National basis, while Trump and his congressional enablers hold power.

4 hours ago, bludog said:

We need to do the same here in the US.   But it will never happen, on a National basis, while Trump and his congressional enablers hold power.

I think other countries banning one use plastics can affect American companies that export food to Canada and Europe.  

Products that are exported are produced on the same lines that produce domestic food.  That is why I will find cooking instructions in French on some packages.  It would probably be too much trouble to separate export and domestic food products into plastic and plastic free groups.

The U.S. government may not be willing to make the changes, but a desire to compete in foreign markets may force American producers to make changes to reduce plastic.

On 8/8/2019 at 3:04 PM, LoreD said:

I think other countries banning one use plastics can affect American companies that export food to Canada and Europe.  

Products that are exported are produced on the same lines that produce domestic food.  That is why I will find cooking instructions in French on some packages.  It would probably be too much trouble to separate export and domestic food products into plastic and plastic free groups.

The U.S. government may not be willing to make the changes, but a desire to compete in foreign markets may force American producers to make changes to reduce plastic.

The smart thing to do would be to ban this plastic packaging - starting with a phase out period of course. We need to make a 180 degree change on a lot of waste of resource and pollution

And to do this would be a great thing for all people around the world. But sadly as we know, it will take a political battle to even start. 

We need to get some large corporate backing / we need to get some brave large food company to take the first step and say no more!!! Why didn't we do this a long time ago, people might someday say. Alas, it's what should make most folks proud, what we could do if only we tried.

Peace!