Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
LoreD

Gay Son Of ‘Straight Pride’ Organizer Slams Event As ‘Dog Whistling To White Supremacy’

Recommended Posts

Gay Son Of ‘Straight Pride’ Organizer Slams Event As ‘Dog Whistling To White Supremacy’

 

Matthew Mason’s mother is helping to plan the event in Modesto, California. “This is hate pride,” he said.

 

 

A gay California man whose mother is one of the co-organizers of a controversial “straight pride” event is speaking out against her plans.

 

Matthew Mason of Turlock, California, is urging the city of Modesto to reject a permit for the Stanislaus County Straight Pride Parade/Event, which was submitted last month by a group calling itself the National Straight Pride Coalition.

 

His adoptive and estranged mother, Mylinda Mason, is working alongside Don Grundmann, a chiropractor who ran unsuccessfully for the U.S. Senate, to coordinate the Aug. 24 event, which is to be held at Modesto’s Graceada Park.

 

Matthew told The Modesto Bee that he supports the right to free speech and peaceful assembly, but he believes the “straight pride” event has the potential to spark violence given its racist, anti-LGBTQ slant.

 

On its website, the National Straight Pride Coalition describes “Caucasians” as being “the biological majority of the historical developers and founders of Western Civilization.”

 

It also argues “current and future generations” are at risk of “being destroyed by the inherent malevolence of the Homosexual Movement.” 

 

“This isn’t ‘straight pride.’ This is hate pride,” Matthew said, according to Fox 40. “Dog whistling to white supremacy... This is not a positive message and this community is committed to positivity, to love, to inclusion and to diversity.”

 

Matthew, who is organizing a vigil before Wednesday’s Modesto city council meeting to protest the event, said he came out as gay at 19. He and Mylinda have been estranged for several years. His biological mother, Kristi Ah You, serves as a city council member.

 

“It just so happens that one of the people I need to address is my biological mother,” he told The Modesto Bee. Still, he stressed that he wanted to keep the focus on his opposition to his adoptive mother. 

 

Mylinda told Fox 40 that she and Grundmann do not plan to attend Wednesday’s city council meeting but are hoping members will not deny their application for a permit. 

“It is, again, white Caucasians who did come to this country to start liberty and gave us the greatest Constitution in the world,” she said. “It really is just celebrating our beautiful country.”

 

Thomas Reeves, the community and media relations officer for Modesto, told the Los Angeles Times last month that the city’s decision on the National Straight Pride Coalition’s application would be made solely on “operational feasibility” and not “any endorsement of beliefs.”

 

A group calling itself Super Happy Fun America is organizing a similar “straight pride” rally in Boston at the end of August. When news of that event broke, Boston Mayor Marty Walsh said the city could not deny a public event application over disagreements with an organizers’ values or beliefs. 

 

“Whatever outside groups may try [to] do, our values won’t change,” he tweeted.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/6/2019 at 1:26 PM, LoreD said:

Matthew told The Modesto Bee that he supports the right to free speech and peaceful assembly, but he believes the “straight pride” event has the potential to spark violence given its racist, anti-LGBTQ slant.

 

IMO, Matthew is correct.  There is no reason for any group comprising  an overwhelming majority of the population to hold a  parade glorifying themselves at the expense of a minority group.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_demographics_of_the_United_States

Quote

A 2017 Gallup poll concluded that 4.5% of adult Americans identified as LGBT with 5.1% of women identifying as LGBT, compared with 3.9% of men.[1] A different survey in 2016, from the Williams Institute, estimated that 0.6% of U.S. adults identify as transgender.[2]

 

 

On 8/6/2019 at 1:26 PM, LoreD said:

On its website, the National Straight Pride Coalition describes “Caucasians” as being “the biological majority of the historical developers and founders of Western Civilization.” 

 

LGBTQ hate often goes hand-in-hand with race hate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/08/straight-pride-organizer-gaffe-peaceful-racist-group/1961069001/

 

A 'straight pride' organizer in California accidentally called his organization a 'peaceful racist group'


 

JORDAN CULVER | USA TODAY
8:17 p.m. CDT Aug. 8, 2019
   

The head of the National Straight Pride Coalition accidentally called his organization a "totally peaceful racist group" to laughter from those gathered at a California city council meeting on Wednesday night.

 

The laughter was so loud that Don Grundmann couldn't audibly correct himself, even though he was speaking into a microphone. 

 

Videos posted by outlets present for the meeting show Grundmann pleading his case to hold a "straight pride" event at an amphitheater in a residential park in Modesto. Thomas Reeves, a spokesperson for the city manager's office, told USA TODAY the event application is still being considered. 

 

"We’re still working on a few items related to our normal due diligence relating to these types of applications," he said. 

 

At one point, Grundmann called out city council member Kristi Ah You, who has been an especially vocal opponent of the event, saying she "pulled the race card." 

 

"You attacked us as racists," Grundmann said, pointing at Ah You while the crowd behind him began growing restless. "You pulled the race card to justify attacks against us in that park. When they come, you're going to turn right around and say we deserved it. 

"We haven't done anything. We're a totally peaceful racist group." 

 

Immediately, Ah You can be seen laughing, along with a good portion of the audience, and pushing herself away from her microphone. 

 

In a Thursday interview with USA TODAY, Grundmann said calling his own group "racist" was an accident and that the Modesto City Council is "working overtime" to find a way to stop the event. He said he expects his "first amending rights to be respected." 

"We're being viciously smeared and lied about that we're racists," he said. 

 

Grundmann said he views Planned Parenthood as "the main source of racism in our nation." 

 

"Our culture is under attack on multiple fronts, such as just being men. There's so-called toxic masculinity. There's actually college courses being taught that men are an inherent problem, there's something wrong with them," he said. "We're saying that it's OK to be a man. It's OK to be a woman. It's OK to have a natural family, a man, woman and children." 

 

He added, "It's OK to be white."

 

Reeves told USA TODAY the application is still being reviewed and there are "major safety concerns." The council hopes to make a decision within the next day or two, he said.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 11:26 PM, LoreD said:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/08/08/straight-pride-organizer-gaffe-peaceful-racist-group/1961069001/

 

A 'straight pride' organizer in California accidentally called his organization a 'peaceful racist group'


 

JORDAN CULVER | USA TODAY
8:17 p.m. CDT Aug. 8, 2019
   

The head of the National Straight Pride Coalition accidentally called his organization a "totally peaceful racist group" to laughter from those gathered at a California city council meeting on Wednesday night.

 

The laughter was so loud that Don Grundmann couldn't audibly correct himself, even though he was speaking into a microphone. 

 

Videos posted by outlets present for the meeting show Grundmann pleading his case to hold a "straight pride" event at an amphitheater in a residential park in Modesto. Thomas Reeves, a spokesperson for the city manager's office, told USA TODAY the event application is still being considered. 

 

"We’re still working on a few items related to our normal due diligence relating to these types of applications," he said. 

 

At one point, Grundmann called out city council member Kristi Ah You, who has been an especially vocal opponent of the event, saying she "pulled the race card." 

 

"You attacked us as racists," Grundmann said, pointing at Ah You while the crowd behind him began growing restless. "You pulled the race card to justify attacks against us in that park. When they come, you're going to turn right around and say we deserved it. 

"We haven't done anything. We're a totally peaceful racist group." 

 

Immediately, Ah You can be seen laughing, along with a good portion of the audience, and pushing herself away from her microphone. 

 

In a Thursday interview with USA TODAY, Grundmann said calling his own group "racist" was an accident and that the Modesto City Council is "working overtime" to find a way to stop the event. He said he expects his "first amending rights to be respected." 

"We're being viciously smeared and lied about that we're racists," he said. 

 

Grundmann said he views Planned Parenthood as "the main source of racism in our nation." 

 

"Our culture is under attack on multiple fronts, such as just being men. There's so-called toxic masculinity. There's actually college courses being taught that men are an inherent problem, there's something wrong with them," he said. "We're saying that it's OK to be a man. It's OK to be a woman. It's OK to have a natural family, a man, woman and children." 

 

He added, "It's OK to be white."

 

Reeves told USA TODAY the application is still being reviewed and there are "major safety concerns." The council hopes to make a decision within the next day or two, he said.

Sadly it's what it's always been for some people. The right to congregate and free speech. The Nazi folks have their parades too. And yes, definitely it is about hate. 

Let them flock. I would just stay away since it does no good to protest against their ignorance. I just hope that this kind of racist hate and ignorance dies out someday. But I won't hold my breath. 

 

Peace!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...