Sign in to follow this  
Olivaw

CNN Debate - Day 2

Hour 1

Kamala Harris took a few hits on her health care plan. Her counter punches did not land. She looked pained. 

Biden came ready to fight and he did. He seems more engaged than the first debate. 

Jay Inslee - nice guy but he isn’t a street fighter

Julian Castro - didn’t make a mark.

Andrew Yang - nice guy with good arguments but everybody ignores him. When will he bow out!

Bill de Blasio - gets on my nerves. Going after Obama is not a good look for Democrats. 

Michael Bennet - will continue to do good things in the Senate, 

Tulsi Gabbard - demonstrated a good understanding of the issues but not much fire on healthcare, immigration or education. 

Kirsten Gillibrand - didn’t get much air time. 

Cory Booker - I love Cory Booker but what is this nonsense about Republican talking points? This is a debate. Points will be made.

Hour 2

Kamala Harris - took blows on her record as California AG. Ouch. 

Joe Biden - took some hits on his plan for the environment. 

Jay Inslee - brought it up a notch but it wasn’t enough.

Julian Castro - continued to struggle to stand out. Good shout out to Barack Obama. 

Andrew Yang - was on point in the second hour. He is not going to win but the man knows his stuff. 

Bill de Blasio - remained annoying. 

Michael Bennet - brought it up a notch. I found myself liking him. 

Tulsi Gabbard - highly competent but not an exciting figure. She would be a great Secretary of State.

Kirsten Gillibrand - upped her game. Good attack on NAFTA 2.0

Cory Booker - Is just not doing what I expected of him in these debates. 

Hour 3 

Kamala Harris - nominate me and I will prosecute Trump on the debate stage.

Joe Biden - better overall performance. Still stumbles on occasion. 

Jay Inslee - Wins on the environment. 

Julian Castro - made the best case for impeachment. Adios Donald Trump 🙂 

Andrew Yang - smart closing statement. 

Bill de Blasio - go away. 

Michael Bennet - argued against impeachment but failed to explain his position.

Tulsi Gabbard -  Good closing statement. The case for peace. She really went after Harris.

Kirsten Gillibrand - likable but not a strong closing argument. 

Cory Booker - I was hoping Booker would turn it up in his closing statement but he did not.

The CNN focus group gave the win to Cory Booker and Julian Castro.

They expressed concern about the attacks on Biden and on each other. 

16 hours ago, Olivaw said:

Andrew Yang - nice guy with good arguments but everybody ignores him. When will he bow out!

No one else in the entire Democratic field has as developed a platform, at this stage of the game as Andrew Yang.  They did not give him enough air time.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/

Yang, IMO, has a unique take and understanding of devastating effect a robotic future will have on labor.  Hence his Universal Living Wage of $1000.00 a month for every citizen over 18.  I'm impressed by Yang.

16 hours ago, Olivaw said:

Michael Bennet - will continue to do good things in the Senate, 

Seems like a nice guy and good Democrat.  Was given entirely too much air time, especially by Jake Tapper, who seems to favor the moderates.

============================================================================================================

Tulsi Gabbard's attack on Kamala Harris' record as DA in California was brutal.  It's hard to censure a prosecutor, but Gabbard pulled it off.  Harris had no effective comeback.  As you said, Harris had a pained expression much of the time.  I suspect she will lose ground in the polls because of her performance yesterday.

Although I consider myself Progressive, Bill de Blasio's harsh demeanor grates on me.  And at times, he lapses into the irrational.

I was also impressed by Jay Inslee.

12 hours ago, Olivaw said:

The CNN focus group gave the win to Cory Booker and Julian Castro.

They expressed concern about the attacks on Biden and on each other. 

Maybe so, but they were not nearly as impressive as Warren and Sanders, the night before.

17 minutes ago, bludog said:

Maybe so, but they were not nearly as impressive as Warren and Sanders, the night before.

Warren and Bernie had a good night on night one. They defended their plans  well.

Night two was  different. They attacks were more personal.  Biden was forced to defend things he said and did decades ago.

We need to see Biden, Warrren and Sanders on the same debate stage - and soon. These split debates are of limited utility. 

2 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

Warren and Bernie had a good night on night one. They defended their plans  well.

Night two was  different. They attacks were more personal.  Biden was forced to defend things he said and did decades ago.

We need to see Biden, Warrren and Sanders in the same room, and soon. These split debates are of limited utility.

Absolutely.  We need to see all the major players on the same stage.  These piecemeal debates have been frustrating.

On 8/1/2019 at 11:00 AM, bludog said:

No one else in the entire Democratic field has as developed a platform, at this stage of the game as Andrew Yang.  They did not give him enough air time.

https://www.yang2020.com/policies/

Yang, IMO, has a unique take and understanding of devastating effect a robotic future will have on labor.  Hence his Universal Living Wage of $1000.00 a month for every citizen over 18.  I'm impressed by Yang.

Seems like a nice guy and good Democrat.  Was given entirely too much air time, especially by Jake Tapper, who seems to favor the moderates.

============================================================================================================

Tulsi Gabbard's attack on Kamala Harris' record as DA in California was brutal.  It's hard to censure a prosecutor, but Gabbard pulled it off.  Harris had no effective comeback.  As you said, Harris had a pained expression much of the time.  I suspect she will lose ground in the polls because of her performance yesterday.

Although I consider myself Progressive, Bill de Blasio's harsh demeanor grates on me.  And at times, he lapses into the irrational.

I was also impressed by Jay Inslee.

My daughter who is seventeen likes Andrew Yang - that's why I watched that debate which was otherwise a total snooze.

I mentioned in the Single-payer-post that Andrew drew on some substance when he said it would free up business from having to deal with healthcare issues. Well, he was partly correct on that score, but he didn't mention that Corporations would not be totally left off the hook regarding paying for single payer. And that's important to note.

US business contributes a lions share to private insurance - they would still need to pay into single-payer, but not quite as much, and they would also forgo a lot of the administration costs which would of course suit them very well thank you!

I do think that automation does cost some jobs in the US, however, if we look at productivity rates, we see that they are mostly pretty flat. So that deflates the idea that automation and AI is killing a lot of jobs at this moment in time. That's not to say it will be that way in the future however. High productivity rates in the past have always triggered higher wages, we have not seen that as of late. Would a universal basic income be a good idea at sometime in the future - yes, that is something to think about. I mean, when and if it happens, many folks will not be required to do a lot of work that currently is required in this world. When and if that ever happens, we all win. See I like nothing better than to wake up, have a coffee, and then go for a hike after having breakfast with my wife, which is what we do most weekends. It's a motivational thing that really opens up the mind.

Peace!

I finally got a chance to watch the tape.  Overall, I thought this was a very strong group.  

My favorites were Andrew Yang and Tulsi Gabbard.   Normally, I want someone with more experience, but these two were really impressive.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:17 AM, Olivaw said:

The CNN focus group gave the win to Cory Booker and Julian Castro

That's...odd.  Here's an online poll:  spin.com.    64% say Yang won.  

On 8/3/2019 at 6:10 AM, Renegade said:

That's...odd.  Here's an online poll:  spin.com.    64% say Yang won.  

I agree. I thought Andrew Yang was a nobody who stood out big. You know, he showed big time character. I like math. I don't like Trump. 

Tulsi is presidential. A veteran from Hawaii. I've been to the islands. Maui is still my favorite. It's the beach, mainly, the walking down the beach alone. 

LOL Ha Ha Ha