Olivaw

CNN Democratic Debates - Day 1

My irreverent review of the candidates.

Any one of them would be a better president than Trump. So would the moderators and most of the audience. 

• Elizabeth Warren - Knows her material. Pundits say that she did well. Still playing Bernie's sidekick.
  • Bernie Sanders - Needs new material. 
  • Pete Buttigieg - Starting to see what it is his supporters like in him. He may grow up to be president one day. 
  • Beto O’Rourke -  most improved but it was not enough. 
  • Marianne Williamson - F*ck policy, she'll defeat the forces of darkness with .... love  
  • Steve Bullock - not bad for a Republican.
  • Amy Klobuchar - She said she never loses. Then she lost the debate.  
  • Tim Ryan - plans to delegate the presidency to his chief manufacturing officer.
  • John Delaney - how does he get so much air time? 
  • John Hickenlooper - the most memorable thing about him is his name. 

Delaney gets air time because CNN wants Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders out.

45 minutes ago, Cecelia said:

Delaney gets air time because CNN wants Elizabeth Warren and Bernie Sanders out.

^^^ We have a winner, right here.  Bernie and Warren are rejecting big business and trying to help regular Americans get ahead.  Can't have that.

8 hours ago, Olivaw said:

Any one of them would be a better president than Trump. So would the moderators and most of the audience. 

7 hours ago, rrober49 said:

I took to Pete the most

I agree with both comments.

Beside that, the debates were boring. I changed channels.

My wife said she'd rather watch "the Rape Show", by which she meant reruns of Law and Order SVU.

I kind of agree.

I don't even care anymore who the nominee is. Anyone. Just get Donald Fü¢kin' Trump out of there.

3 hours ago, laripu said:

I don't even care anymore who the nominee is. Anyone. Just get Donald Fü¢kin' Trump out of there.

Agreed. Time for Trump to go. 

I would even vote for Steve Bullock, if it ever came to that.  Luckily, there's little chance it will.

For me, the main takeaway was the powerful performance of team Warren and Sanders.  They easily overcame opposition from some of the other candidates and the questioners as well.  Bernie really upped his game from the first debate.  And Elizabeth Warren proved, to me at least, what a quick wit and strong debater she is.  Eventually, the dynamic duo will be forced to lock horns.  I think Warren would be effective against Trump's shenanigans.  

I too was favorably impressed by the poise and intelligence of Pete Buttigieg.  Beto upped his game slightly from the first debate, but not enough to make a big difference.

On 7/31/2019 at 9:29 AM, Olivaw said:

John Delaney - how does he get so much air time? 

Courtesy of the moderate-favoring CNN hosts.  Especially Jake Tapper.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:47 AM, rrober49 said:

I took to Pete the most

Me too.  Everyone had their moments, but I thought he had the most impressive performance of all.

It seemed to be Warren & Sanders vs. the rest.  Even Williamson was against them at times.  The result of that was the Warren & Sanders got more air time than anyone else.

I don't like Beto, though I couldn't tell you why.   Williamson needs more time.  Warren & Sanders seemed defensive and hostile.  

But, to pick a President from that group, Pete's definitely my man.

On 7/31/2019 at 8:29 AM, Olivaw said:

My irreverent review of the candidates.

• Elizabeth Warren - Knows her material. Pundits say that she did well. Still playing Bernie's sidekick.
  • Bernie Sanders - Needs new material. 
  • Pete Buttigieg - Starting to see what it is his supporters like in him. He may grow up to be president one day. 
  • Beto O’Rourke -  most improved but it was not enough. 
  • Marianne Williamson - F*ck policy, she'll defeat the forces of darkness with .... love  
  • Steve Bullock - not bad for a Republican.
  • Amy Klobuchar - She said she never loses. Then she lost the debate.  
  • Tim Ryan - plans to delegate the presidency to his chief manufacturing officer.
  • John Delaney - how does he get so much air time? 
  • John Hickenlooper - the most memorable thing about him is his name. 

wonderful critique!

I think you hit the nail on the head here.

I like Pete, and you're right, some day. Wish it was today that he was running for a senate seat.

Beto, he's kind of into himself. But he's okay, just lacking some credential. Possibly another someday kind of dude.

Marianne is bold and I give her credit for that. She apparently has something against vaccines, so that's a bit scary - I won't do a lot of research into that however since there is no need.

I like Amy, staid and true, I like and trust her, and I'd vote for her if she makes the cut - but I like Warren better just now.

Tim Ryan - who? He'd make a good blue dog congress person, oh wait, he is a congress person.

John Delaney  - how does he get so much air time is a great question. Go ask the American Hospital Association, the AMA, the pharmaceutical corporations of America - since they all do pay a lot in Television advertisement fees to the host of the debates CNN.

I also like to say, "Hickenlooper",  you could say it in a sneeze, or when you stub your toe instead of the green variety of expletives so commonly used. I think folks in Colorado do that, it's a Colorado thing.

Bernie turned the young people onto truth and change and thereby placed the Democratic party on the hot seat as it were. He is required listening to, and I'm darn glad he's doing what he does, because the truth is, SOMEONE HAS TOO!

Peace!