LoreD

Faith Healers: Miracles for Sale

Interesting documentary on Faith Healers.  British magician Derren Brown shows how they do it.

This is a shorter piece.  About midway through he interviews a former Faith Healing Pastor, who waited to seek medical help for his daughter's brain tumor.  He thought he could heal her through Faith.  She died.

Kenneth Copeland's wife has urged people with cancer to not seek medical help and give the money to "God."

The interview with the former pastor starts at 3:11

There ought to be a law against urging someone to choose faith healing over medical help, for life threatening illnesses. At the very least, it's fraud. It could easily be seen as negligent homicide too.

If parents can be charged for choosing faith healing over medical help, why can't the priests or pastors or rabbis be charged with fraud or homicide? If the faith healing involved was Wicca or Scientology, would the authorities act with more celerity?

These parents pled guilty to negligent homicide:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2018/07/10/faith-healing-oregon-parents-plead-guilty-premature-babys-death/772751002/

These parents were charged with involuntary manslaughter, got probation. (!)

https://www.readingeagle.com/news/article/berks-couple-get-probation-for-death-of-daughter

An ex-co-worker of mine used to say: "Ever notice that, by faith, god 'cures' cancer right away, but a fractured leg takes god three to six months?" ... Well, I guess he's going to hell for noticing that. 😈

It's not just about religion.  You can go bathe in healing springs or waters all over the world.  Do these waters really heal?  There's no scientific reason to think so.  In China, you'll find all sorts of treatments that most Americans would scorn (rhinoceros horn anyone?).  Yet, traditional Chinese swear it works.

The placebo effect is real.  Power of the Placebo Effect (Harvard)   There's a lot of research out there that shows people respond strongly to 'cures' with no known scientific basis.  Drug trials almost always show statistical improvement in patients that receive the placebo.  The power of the mind over the body is not yet fully understood.

I agree that parents should be forced to accept conventional medical treatment for seriously ill children.  But, for adults...follow your faith, whether that's in conventional western medicine or something else...it's your life.

3 hours ago, Renegade said:

I agree that parents should be forced to accept conventional medical treatment for seriously ill children.  But, for adults...follow your faith, whether that's in conventional western medicine or something else...it's your life.

You can't force an adult to accept medical treatment, and you shouldn't force them.

But you can make it a crime for faith healers to say that people don't need medical treatment for real illnesses. Real medical treatment should be included in the advice given by people claiming religious authority, or it's fraud at least and possibly homicide.

Protect the gullible.

Miracles for sale

Pretty much what the Republicans claim to get elected.

Unfortunately,

there is no placebo effect.

it helps to have a positive outlook on life. I think when people have a positive outlook they are more likely to see all the problems in this world more clearly.

That's a weird ideal what I just stated.

Focused, being more focused on tackling one problem at a time makes sense. If you start out with a positive outlook, understanding how to be more focused is that much easier.

That's why some people who work hard for a while see time fly by. It removes some of the stress.

We are humans. We are affected by our environment, and we are affected in a push/pull way -And even sometimes with constant regret. 

The miracle comes from working hard and feeling like nothing good is going to come, and then, a teeny tiny bit of success is finally achieved, hooray!!!.

That's why mentoring is needed. People who have been there, done that, who can also understand the roots of consternation that young people have,

while also seeing that those young people, whom individually they know, show a whole lot of promise, and this becomes what I call, the mirroring effect.

The slog that leads to another more beneficial slog, that leads to a slog worthy of slogging. The other night Colbert said, "you can't quote yourself", but I just did. 

I use that with my own kids. It doesn't work just yet, but I only have a small sample amount of data to go on at this point.

Peace!

Since public schools have vaccine rules shouldn't there be treatment requirements for minors since the decision is out of their hands 

On 8/3/2019 at 7:26 PM, fourputt said:

Since public schools have vaccine rules shouldn't there be treatment requirements for minors since the decision is out of their hands 

sorry, I waxed too much on this simple question. 

The answer to me is definitely, understanding polio, and some other horrid diseases that are completely preventable. 

Thanks for being direct fourputt!

Peace!