Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

Those Darn Bureaucrats

The mantra from the right and from the so-called Libertarians is basically this, the bureaucrats control government, and not the politicians. Basically since Reagan the right has done all it could to reduce government by making it run worse. 

They have decimated the EPA, SEC, IRS, the Dept of Interior, State Dept, Homeland Security, the consumer financial protection bureau etc. even more since Trump came into power. 

Here is a list of Trump backers who for the most part preach for an end to the Deep State as we know it.

https://fortune.com/2016/08/03/trump-billionaire-backers-list/

Many of these folks believe in wild conspiracy theories, or at least they bemoan them in public ways.

Most republicans I know get most of their news exclusively from Fox News, or Wall Street Journal Opinion Pieces, or right-wing radio. 

These news groups make a living out of decrying the evils of over-regulation. The gist being that regulation is the culprit behind the loss of job growth, loss of GDP growth. Loss of Liberty for all.

Most progressives I know think differently. Most progressives realize that some regulation is out-dated and ineffective as well and should be looked at to determine better policy measures. 

The idea of an agency of experts who do nothing but study the facts behind any regulation to determine its efficacy makes sense to them. The agency would be made up of Economist, and other scientist who use science and fact to determine any policies worth.

I think that the right pushes this deep state with propaganda and that it's always the same backers who fund this nonsense. I also think it helps to create a giant divide in our country which then makes it extremely difficult to get anything meaningful accomplished. 

Here's a great article I just read about Keeping oil in the ground and about carbon pricing and along with it the need for a carbon dividend so that the taxes are not paid for by the poor and the middle class. This is something Canada recently instituted. I think if it was spelled out to voters the right way it would get a lot more attention then it has. 

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/keeping-the-oil-in-the-soil

Peace!

Good article.  In my opinion, that's the best way to cut emissions...carbon pricing with a flat rebate per person.  

Trying to think what possible objection anyone could have...   Some energy-intensive industries might find themselves non-competitive if their cost of energy went up.  The most obvious example is agriculture.   A carbon tax would result in more expensive food as well as reducing exports and employment in the agricultural sector.  The magnitude of the impact would depend on how aggressive we are with the carbon pricing.  If we want to seriously reduce carbon emissions, the price adjustment needs to be significant.  Other industries (paper, chemicals, refining) would also face above-average impact.  These folks will lobby hard against a carbon tax.  It would be nice if every nation could implement at the same time.

11 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Good article.  In my opinion, that's the best way to cut emissions...carbon pricing with a flat rebate per person.  

Trying to think what possible objection anyone could have...   Some energy-intensive industries might find themselves non-competitive if their cost of energy went up.  The most obvious example is agriculture.   A carbon tax would result in more expensive food as well as reducing exports and employment in the agricultural sector.  The magnitude of the impact would depend on how aggressive we are with the carbon pricing.  If we want to seriously reduce carbon emissions, the price adjustment needs to be significant.  Other industries (paper, chemicals, refining) would also face above-average impact.  These folks will lobby hard against a carbon tax.  It would be nice if every nation could implement at the same time.

I think you make a solid point regarding agriculture. One of the big issues regarding food production is that agriculture is owned by humongous corporations. But that is by no means the entirety of the issue. You have to understand commodity markets as well.

Corn based ethanol is a boon, only because corn being a mono crop is prevalent in almost all the packaged foods we as consumers buy. And this has had its affects on food strategies around the world. The better price is had in ethanol and yet it is not an efficient energy source by any means.

It's the big sort of factory of food production along with the Monsanto seed that runs a lot of small individual farmers off their farms. Hell, most people are not aware where their food comes from. They have no idea about what having a job in the agribusiness pays, especially at the lowest levels. 

Peace!