Cecelia

South Dakota public schools required to have "in God We Trust" on their walls

11 hours ago, Cecelia said:

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/25/744909500/south-dakota-public-schools-add-in-god-we-trust-signs-to-walls

Does separation of church and state exist at all, anymore?  Or are we just pretending it does, while letting Christianity take a stranglehold on this country?  Keep religion out of public schools.

That have some plausible deniability. They can claim that it encompasses all monotheistic religions, not just Christianity, since Muslims and believing Jews also trust in a single god.

(I specified "believing Jews", since many Jews are ethnically or culturally Jewish but are in fact atheist. I fall into that category.)

It still excludes atheists, who don't trust in god, and possibly adherents of polytheistic religions such as Hinduism. Probably also excludes Buddhists, since that religion doesn't require belief in a creator god.

It also excludes the various New Age and Wiccan religions that have popped up ever since paperbacks became inexpensive, and with greater celerity since the advent of the internet. Apparently if you're told about something, there's a non-zero probability that you'll end up believing it.

I imagine that soon the ACLU will get involved.

But I think it's really a tempest in a teapot. First of all, it won't stop some kids from profession atheism later in life. I was forced to sing Christian hymns in elementary school, by this school board. It did nothing to me other than making me resent them. (🎶✝️🎵"Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war. With the cross of Jeeee-zuz going on before." 🎵✝️🎶)

Secondly, wouldn't you trade that sign in every school for universal healthcare, cradle to grave? I would.

The sign shouldn't be there. But I'd say that in the list of things that hurt people and how much they hurt people, this is way down, like lower than artificial food dyes.

I wouldn't put it nearly that low.  These signs are meant to be exclusionary toward Atheists, Hindu, Buddhists, and really anyone NOT of the Judeo-Christian Religion.  It will embolden the religious to continue their culture of intolerance, which in turn lead to rates of teen suicide, teen homelessness, among other problems.  And don't think for a second that these Christians will take an inch and be happy with it.  If you give them an inch, they will take a mile.  This is plain and simply unconstitutional, discriminatory, and wrong.  

11 hours ago, laripu said:

That have some plausible deniability. They can claim that it encompasses all monotheistic religions, not just Christianity, since Muslims and believing Jews also trust in a single god.

(I specified "believing Jews", since many Jews are ethnically or culturally Jewish but are in fact atheist. I fall into that category.)

It still excludes atheists, who don't trust in god, and possibly adherents of polytheistic religions such as Hinduism. Probably also excludes Buddhists, since that religion doesn't require belief in a creator god.

It also excludes the various New Age and Wiccan religions that have popped up ever since paperbacks became inexpensive, and with greater celerity since the advent of the internet. Apparently if you're told about something, there's a non-zero probability that you'll end up believing it.

I imagine that soon the ACLU will get involved.

But I think it's really a tempest in a teapot. First of all, it won't stop some kids from profession atheism later in life. I was forced to sing Christian hymns in elementary school, by this school board. It did nothing to me other than making me resent them. (🎶✝️🎵"Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war. With the cross of Jeeee-zuz going on before." 🎵✝️🎶)

Secondly, wouldn't you trade that sign in every school for universal healthcare, cradle to grave? I would.

The sign shouldn't be there. But I'd say that in the list of things that hurt people and how much they hurt people, this is way down, like lower than artificial food dyes.

I agree that it just creates more divide in a nation that is divided foolishly and haphazardly upon ignorance. We protect religious freedom. That's an important thing in the constitution, you know, the First Amendment. I'm a secularist however I was brought up as a catholic. What I believe regarding God, at least to me, is my own business. I might pray for the poor and for my own self so that I can be a better person, but I don't push my religion. But that's because I'm a secularist. That's just my decision.

Peace!