Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

Climate change and Solar Energy

I always wondered about solar powered EV charging stations. Just imagine what could be done right now. Below is a link that caught my eye. There are many more design ideas out there. We could make it happen. We should also not discard the idea of mass transit, not by a long shot. We need more of that as well. And I for one would love it if we could make inroads regarding better infrastructure for riding bikes.. Riding a bike to work or other places they need to go where the pathway is safe and open would make folks happier and healthier too. It should be a joy to live an efficient life full of discovery.

https://inhabitat.com/beautiful-solar-powered-ev-charging-stations-promise-to-charge-a-vehicle-in-15-minutes/

I think we have not even touched the surface regarding the use of Solar Power.

Peace!

14 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

I always wondered about solar powered EV charging stations.

This is the ideal.  The Copenhagen based architectural firm, COBE has come up with a charging station as sustainable as humanly possible.  It's even made of recycled materials !   And 47 more are planned throughout Scandinavia.  Once again, Northern Europe is leading the way.  Not just politically, this time, but with practical adaptations for a changing world.

And in Sweden, they have built the first road that charges electric vehicles as they drive along it.  Sweden has set the ambitious goal of completely breaking free of dependence on fossil fuels by 2030.

No one knows how long it will take to achieve the holy grail of clean nuclear fusion.  These countries are not waiting.

I love solar but the way a battery gets to be in front of us needs to be considered ?

with a healthy supply of facebook friends we will not need a charging stations

solar roofing shingles 

Image result for solar tile roof

the cats meow for me is  a chameleon shingle

https://thedaily.case.edu/chameleon-roofs-of-future-could-save-money-energy/

Idaho has 4 seasons so we would have 4 shades 

you could "and I am sure someone is " apply the same ideas to the siding and trim and have your whole exterior change with the seasons 

there is  uncharted territory  left in solar. I hope we elect to play more dominant role again, sooner than later 

Electric vehicles are expected to begin to dominate the new car market by 2022 when an electric vehicles will become cheaper than a gasoline vehicles. 

Price-Parity-1.png&f=1

10 hours ago, rrober49 said:

I love solar but the way a battery gets to be in front of us needs to be considered ?

Because of their light weight and high energy density, lithium-ion type batteries are used exclusively in smart phones and electric vehicles.   The environmental cost of mining lithium and manufacturing the batteries is high.  And, as of now, there is almost no recycling of spent batteries.  Extensive recycling could ameliorate the problem by cutting down the need for mining, drastically.  Research is currently being conducted in Australia and the UK, among others.  But until large-scale recycling becomes a reality, making lithium batteries remains a problem

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

Another aspect is where the energy to recharge these batteries comes from.  If an EV is plugged in at night, and the power comes from the burning of coal, the EV is contributing to carbon emissions, even though not burning fossil fuel itself. 

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/4/27/17283830/batteries-energy-storage-carbon-emissions

Solar-powered charging stations, as shown in OP, reduce the carbon footprint of rechargeable vehicles.

https://inhabitat.com/beautiful-solar-powered-ev-charging-stations-promise-to-charge-a-vehicle-in-15-minutes/

white electric vehicle under wood covering

aerial view of green-roofed charging station

you could "and I am sure someone is " apply the same ideas to the siding and trim and have your whole exterior change with the seasons 

there is  uncharted territory  left in solar. I hope we elect to play more dominant role again, sooner than later

Barring hidden pitfalls and unforeseen consequences, this sounds like a huge advancement in generating independent, home or business solar power.   Hopefully, solar, wind, geothermal and tidal power sources can replace most fossil fuels until clean nuclear fusion becomes practical, replacing most other sources.  But even then, there will be extensive use of storage batteries.  A problem which must be addressed with the aim of minimizing environmental fallout.

18 hours ago, rrober49 said:

with a healthy supply of facebook friends we will not need a charging stations

solar roofing shingles 

Image result for solar tile roof

Very cool. They need them in Idaho for sure. We need to implement many of these very cool technologies sooner than later!!! Takes Leadership I guess.

A party, any political party, that spent it time informing the public at large about these things, would... be smart.

Peace!

8 hours ago, bludog said:

Because of their light weight and high energy density, lithium-ion type batteries are used exclusively in smart phones and electric vehicles.   The environmental cost of mining lithium and manufacturing the batteries is high.  And, as of now, there is almost no recycling of spent batteries.  Extensive recycling could ameliorate the problem by cutting down the need for mining, drastically.  Research is currently being conducted in Australia and the UK, among others.  But until large-scale recycling becomes a reality, making lithium batteries remains a problem

https://www.wired.co.uk/article/lithium-batteries-environment-impact

Another aspect is where the energy to recharge these batteries comes from.  If an EV is plugged in at night, and the power comes from the burning of coal, the EV is contributing to carbon emissions, even though not burning fossil fuel itself. 

https://www.vox.com/energy-and-environment/2018/4/27/17283830/batteries-energy-storage-carbon-emissions

Solar-powered charging stations, as shown in OP, reduce the carbon footprint of rechargeable vehicles.

white electric vehicle under wood covering

aerial view of green-roofed charging station

Barring hidden pitfalls and unforeseen consequences, this sounds like a huge advancement in generating independent, home or business solar power.   Hopefully, solar, wind, geothermal and tidal power sources can replace most fossil fuels until clean nuclear fusion becomes practical, replacing most other sources.  But even then, there will be extensive use of storage batteries.  A problem which must be addressed with the aim of minimizing environmental fallout.

I feel as though we have not even scratched the surface regarding how far solar can go. You can put pv into pavement, and thin film ware to be incorporated on may surfaces.

That would mean big time job creation here in the US. And just think, if we had the technology that could be easily implemented, private industry would love to get into that game.

Also think about saving the rest of the world. All of this would be an immense step in helping out third world nations so that they too could one day enjoy the dream of prosperity.

Yes, diversity and unity, strength in numbers. 

Peace!

Efficiency can be found in cities where you need to make the most out of tight spaces. Travel is always a big issue regarding congested streets and wasted time getting from point A to point B. 

https://www.curbed.com/2018/9/18/17873726/transportation-best-cities-bus-scooter-light-rail-public-transit

We got to also deal with the overuse of plastics, and food waste.

We got to also deal with the overuse of plastics, and food waste.

A point that is worth repeating.

The video in this link is worth listening to. A lot to think about. 

https://greatist.com/health/how-to-ways-reduce-food-waste#1

Stewardship Definitions from Websters:

1: the office, duties, and oblications of a steward

2: the conducting, supervising, or managing of something especially ; the careful and responsible management of something entrusted to one's care - stewardship of natural resource.

Interesting book below. The Dayak in Borneo live in the extreme wild and have lost their language. Their belief systems have changed since hearing about the rest of the world. They wonder why cannot they change. They spiritually feel as though the white men who have visited their tribe are actually ghost. And the land from where they come from is heaven, the promise land where each of them will go, once they leave their small wild zone nestled in the jungles swamp.

51KQUS7xKGL._SX328_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

lets europe know we will have viable work trucks for them to buy from us soon

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/hybrid-electric/a28480745/ford-electric-prototype-truck-pulls-freight/

where my country is in the world of science and invention is out my hands 

2009, President Obama and his Department of Energy Secretary Steven Chu stripped the funding of fuel cell technology due to their belief that the technology was still decades away. Under heavy criticism, the funding was partially restored.[106][107] In 2014 the Obama administration announced they want to speed up production and development of hydrogen powered vehicles.

tough choices 

Things Id like so see my country lead in

biodegradable crystals for solar cells

hydrogen engines  

Storing hydrogen in a car still remains a hurdle, so the technology that can go further per precious ounce of hydrogen (that’s fuel cells) is the winner. The Honda Clarity Fuel Cell, for instance, goes 366 miles on its 12.0 pounds of hydrogen, stored at 10,000 psi and requiring three separate cylindrical tanks to maintain a practical enough package (even at that, the rear seatbacks don’t fold or afford a pass-through.

I almost forgot about hydrogen

sooner we do anything the better but I do not want to get trapped in a system that might have to " pay off " before we get something better

fission and fusion 

On 7/23/2019 at 6:39 PM, rrober49 said:

fission and fusion 

Fission has serious disadvantages.  Plants are vulnerable to meltdown as seen in the Chernobyl and Fukushima Diiache disasters.  Also, nuclear plants using fission are vulnerable to terrorist attack with the express purpose of causing meltdowns. 

Further, the waste from fission powered plants remains highly toxic for thousands of years.  Even storing it in expensive, heavy-grade,  stainless steel containers is unreliable over the long-run.  It would be completely unacceptable to dump nuclear waste in the ocean and no one on land wants it in their backyard.

We should be concentrating on the development of commercially viable Fusion power.  Fusion is clean.  There is no toxic waste to store.  It is not vulnerable to terrorist attacks because there can be no meltdowns

For the most part, the use of renewable solar, wind, hydroelectric and tidal power are an intermediate step between fossil fuels and practical Nuclear Fusion plants.  In Europe, China and the US, humankind is getting closer to practical, usable fusion.  Throwing massive resources into the development of viable fusion power, shortens our investment in mostly temporary, solar forms of power.

10 hours ago, bludog said:

Fission has serious disadvantages.  Plants are vulnerable to meltdown as seen in the Chernobyl and Fukushima Diiache disasters.  Also, nuclear plants using fission are vulnerable to terrorist attack with the express purpose of causing meltdowns. 

fission  and fusion is the process of joining or dividing parts

lots of fission and fusion going on in everyday cooking

and in thermal dynamics 

the radiation you speak of comes from nuclear  thermal  energy ?

fission and fusion  feed off each other fusion makes the tree fission tears it apart and fusion makes a new tree or four trees

and again water evaporates and we all know this one

and look at how we got a universe

nuclear waste is our failure to exploit fission

still I am a fan of the engine over the motor and I thinks its efficiency will return as the science evolves 

2 hours ago, rrober49 said:

fission  and fusion is the process of joining or dividing parts

In the interest of clarity, the prefix "nuclear" should precede fission or fusion.  "Nuclear" refers to the nuclei of atoms.

lots of fission and fusion going on in everyday cooking

and in thermal dynamics 

Thermal dynamics, including heat-transfer in cooking, involves chemistry which takes place between the the orbits of atoms, not their nuclei.  Orbits of of atoms consist of electrons.  Thermal dynamics deals mostly with energy exchange between orbits of atoms of either the same or different elements and/or compounds.  Heat can be produced by interaction of elements or compounds, the most common example being rapid oxidation or fire.  At the atomic level, fire happens between the orbits of atoms.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermodynamics

But vastly greater energy production can be achieved by working with the nuclei of atoms.  Hence the term "nuclear". 

the radiation you speak of comes from nuclear  thermal  energy ? 

Fission is the splitting of atoms into smaller atoms.  When this happens, a tremendous amount of energy is released in the form of heat and dangerous gamma rays. 

Fusion is when two atoms come together, forming a heavier atom, releasing more energy than fission, in the form of heat, but no gamma radiation.  This is what happens, on a mass scale, within the sun.

https://www.energy.gov/ne/articles/fission-and-fusion-what-difference

Although nuclear fusion provides several times the energy of nuclear fission, either of them produces tremendously more heat than combustion.

nuclear waste is our failure to exploit fission

Nuclear waste is used fuel from nuclear fission reactors.  It is both toxic and lethally radioactive.  When producing energy via nuclear fission, used fuel, in the form of toxic, radioactive elements, is always a byproduct. 

But energy production from nuclear fusion reactors does not produce dangerous waste. 

Energy production via nuclear fission has been with us for some time.  Practical energy production via nuclear fusion is not yet a reality, but is being developed in the EU, China and the US, among others.

Hope that helps.

31 minutes ago, bludog said:

Energy production via nuclear fission has been with us for some time.  Practical energy production via nuclear fusion is not yet a reality, but is being developed in the EU, China and the US, among others.

Hope that helps.

yeah since the earth was in the forum of a spec

the idea of fusion is older then  the very first sun ever created and fission comes right after, maybe even older than that  ?

the sun does not create waste that can not be used for something in our universe it makes perfect use of fusion

we fail to a degree in capturing that idea as well as the sun does,  and we have nuclear waste to show for it 

fission 

noun

1. 1.
    the action of dividing or splitting something into two or more parts.
    "the party dissolved into fission and acrimony"
    synonyms: splitting, parting, division, dividing, cleaving, rupture, breaking, severance, separation, disjuncture; 

When plants are perfected for the production of energy by nuclear fusion, they should render most internal combustion engines obsolete;  No matter the fuel.   Most transportation will be battery powered and recharged with electricity produced by nuclear fusion plants. 

Being endlessly renewable itself, nuclear fusion harnesses the power of the sun, brought to Earth in a controllable form.  Most Solar, wind, hydroelectric, tidal and geothermal sources of energy will no longer be needed.  They will go the way of the internal combustion engine.

There will be exceptions.  One of them is the necessity to use chemically-powered rockets engines for space exploration and exploitation.  Although there are theoretical replacements to improve performance, chemical rockets will probably be a mainstay for the near future.

you live on top of a internal combustion engine and when it runs out of energy you will too

1 hour ago, bludog said:

When plants are perfected for the production of energy by nuclear fusion, they should render most internal combustion engines obsolete;  No matter the fuel.   Most transportation will be battery powered and recharged with electricity produced by nuclear fusion plants. 

plants need hydrogen, plants are not needed for fusion to work 

1 hour ago, bludog said:

Being endlessly renewable itself, nuclear fusion harnesses the power of the sun, brought to Earth in a controllable form.  Most Solar, wind, hydroelectric, tidal and geothermal sources of energy will no longer be needed.  They will go the way of the internal combustion engine.

we use fusion on earth to make  energy  and nuclear fusion makes low grade nuclear waste  ? so I am not sure what to say here ?

internal combustion engine has better range and power and how we come about using and making hydrogen will be the deciding factor

2 hours ago, bludog said:

There will be exceptions.  One of them is the necessity to use chemically-powered rockets engines for space exploration and exploitation.  Although there are theoretical replacements to improve performance, chemical rockets will probably be a mainstay for the near future.

yeah if we keep electing boobs like this one we might even see nuclear powered planes cause republicans waited till the very last minute to address global warming and have to much invested into old world energy ideas, only the lord knows what grows in that think tank

elevator to space  would be handy

13 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

plants need hydrogen, plants are not needed for fusion to work 

Sorry.  I meant plants as in factories or facilities.  Biological plants need CO2, H20, minerals and light.

17 minutes ago, rrober49 said:

we use fusion on earth to make  energy  and nuclear fusion makes low grade nuclear waste  ?

This applies to nuclear fission, not fusion.  Nuclear fusion is not perfected as a practical energy source yet.  But some of the world's most powerful countries are working intensely to bring it to a point where it becomes practical.

internal combustion engine has better range and power and how we come about using and making hydrogen will be the deciding factor 

Battery storage is steadily increasing and practical power generation from nuclear fusion is still in the future.  When fusion comes online, battery technology will probably have advanced enough to to power most transportation.  Clean nuclear fusion, once it becomes a reality, should replace most combustion engines by being a cheap clean way to recharge batteries.

Scientists in major countries consider it a matter of time before nuclear fusion power generation replaces most other sources.  It is an environmental holy grail.

1 hour ago, bludog said:

This applies to nuclear fission, not fusion.  Nuclear fusion is not perfected as a practical energy source yet.

look this whole problems starts when you try to anchor fission off to nuclear waste 

I think hydrogen power is something that is also a well qualified engineering strategy. We still have issues with battery storage and likely there are some constraints that will linger on for quite sometime. 

I still think however that solar power is still in its embryonic state. It needs a new infrastructure to finally see its true birth. Hats off to the Peter Gabriel music video. 

The old steamers were a sight to see and a smell to breath. 

Image result for Old town sacramento Steam train in motion 

Peace!

2 hours ago, fourputt said:

I'll have solar panels on my house this October 

Nice ! did you get a loan ? buy em out right ? how much offset do you plan on ?  is 3 months when you want it done or the soonest they can do it ?

think a system worth buying into right now in Idaho starts out around 10 to 12 thousand and pays itself off within 10 years  "best case "

18 hours ago, rrober49 said:

Nice ! did you get a loan ? buy em out right ? how much offset do you plan on ?  is 3 months when you want it done or the soonest they can do it ?

think a system worth buying into right now in Idaho starts out around 10 to 12 thousand and pays itself off within 10 years  "best case "

It's a 6.4 kwa system costs $29,000, I'll need a new panel installed and I'm in a HOA are a couple reasons it will take till October 

18 hours ago, fourputt said:

t's a 6.4 kwa system costs $29,000, I'll need a new panel installed and I'm in a HOA are a couple reasons it will take till October 

roughly 300 to 400 square feet of panels 35sq  my home would be around 9 sq in panels so it seems to be on par with the national average price wise 

sounds like a impressive system 

HOA do you guys have many issues with people being offended by the unsightliness of the system  or is it the quality of the work being done  both ? my best sides are both exposed to the street

Considering what your HOA  will  accept  is actually a good tip to a first time buyer