protester

We CAN'T impeach Trump!

As much as most of the world hates Trump, impeaching him would result in President Nazi Pence taking power.

We would never recover from the abuses and treason Pence would inflict on us.   Just look at his record - he isn't hiding much.

Even worse, he has a functioning brain, and with his experience, he knows how to manipulate people.    In addition, he's had years to line up his people and know who'd obey him without question - just what every dictator dreams of.

Pence wouldn't need the GOP to secretly govern, telling him what to say and do, so he wouldn't look like a horse's ass all the time.

So, again, Nancy Pelosi knows what she's doing.   She deserves our trust.

Welcome to the forum, protester.  There is wisdom in what you say.  It's true Pence has the potential be far more effective at advancing his agenda than Trump, who has been laughably incompetent.  Pence might be able to do a lot more damage in just a short time. 

But there are strong arguments to be made either way.  By failing to impeach Trump, we allow justice to go undone;  Sending an implicit message that flouting the Constitution and running a grossly corrupt administration is okay.  Allowing Trump to serve out his watch without the official censure of impeachment sets a dangerous precedent for the future.

4 hours ago, protester said:

As much as most of the world hates Trump, impeaching him would result in President Nazi Pence taking power.

We would never recover from the abuses and treason Pence would inflict on us.   Just look at his record - he isn't hiding much.

Even worse, he has a functioning brain, and with his experience, he knows how to manipulate people.    In addition, he's had years to line up his people and know who'd obey him without question - just what every dictator dreams of.

Pence wouldn't need the GOP to secretly govern, telling him what to say and do, so he wouldn't look like a horse's ass all the time.

So, again, Nancy Pelosi knows what she's doing.   She deserves our trust.

First of all, Pence may not be clean himself, and it may be that an impeachment would simultaneously target both Trump and Pence, leaving Pelosi as president, since she is next in line as Speaker of the House. But I'd say this was unlikely.

Still, impeaching Trump would leave Pence in roughly the same position as Gerald Ford, an ineffectual president who would lose the next election.

Also, Pence is not any smarter than most Republicans like him. Nevertheless he's not as impulsive and unpredictable as Trump. He's less likely to start a nuclear war.

I'm in favor of laying out the whole sordid mess that adheres to Trump and impeaching him.  Make the Republicans openly vote in favor of their corruption, and then stick that label of corruption on them for the next 20 years.

Pence may well be advising the Rump aka direct ALEC connection. ALEC has a number of people within the Rump admin == it shows in the actions Rump puts forward.

I feel sure Pence is definitely an ALEC insider.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:19 PM, laripu said:

First of all, Pence may not be clean himself, and it may be that an impeachment would simultaneously target both Trump and Pence, leaving Pelosi as president, since she is next in line as Speaker of the House. But I'd say this was unlikely.

Still, impeaching Trump would leave Pence in roughly the same position as Gerald Ford, an ineffectual president who would lose the next election.

Also, Pence is not any smarter than most Republicans like him. Nevertheless he's not as impulsive and unpredictable as Trump. He's less likely to start a nuclear war.

I'm in favor of laying out the whole sordid mess that adheres to Trump and impeaching him.  Make the Republicans openly vote in favor of their corruption, and then stick that label of corruption on them for the next 20 years.

Pence is not the sharpest in the Republican Tool box, yes that's true. And yes, he may not be clean himself. 

This article is from 2017. I've always thought Pence was a cheap suit. He really did dial into the Trump presidency for a chance to be VP, typical Pence!

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/08/12/trump-russia-pence-staying-clean-241545

Peace!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 12:21 PM, bludog said:

Welcome to the forum, protester.  There is wisdom in what you say.  It's true Pence has the potential be far more effective at advancing his agenda than Trump, who has been laughably incompetent.  Pence might be able to do a lot more damage in just a short time. 

But there are strong arguments to be made either way.  By failing to impeach Trump, we allow justice to go undone;  Sending an implicit message that flouting the Constitution and running a grossly corrupt administration is okay.  Allowing Trump to serve out his watch without the official censure of impeachment sets a dangerous precedent for the future.

Thank you for your comments.

One fear I had is that Pence could try to act like a good President for a short time, which could get him elected for the next full term.   That would give him a lot more time to do his damage, assuming most voters would be fooled by him.

It probably infuriates most people that Trump can serve out his four years, but hopefully that would make enough Americans so irate that they'd demand his prosecution, and actually get him put in prison, along with as many others as possible.  They should just charge him with one crime at a time, so if Barr pardons him, they can both go to prison for longer terms.

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:19 PM, laripu said:

I'd love to see Pelosi in the White House, even if just for a short time, but I really don't think we can get Pence prosecuted, and even if we could, his term would run out.

I don't see him committing treason with Russia, but he would be more likely to make our lives Hell on earth.

One good Trump, in spite of himself, is that he exposed Right Wingers for what they really are, hate-filled, vengeful, simple-minded, etc.     He also helped expose the fact that they've declared war on the rest of the U.S.    I've been trying for decades to make that common knowledge, so I'm shocked to see Trump get so much ass-kissing from the media.   Some of them deal with this as a disagreement between conservatives and liberals.   No!   It's conservatives attacking liberals for decades, and liberals letting them get away with it.    I want the American people to face reality that it's a civil war, and they have to fight back, or let this country slide farther into the gutter, as it becomes more and more a third world country.

3 hours ago, protester said:

becomes more and more a third world country.

Becomes? Except for the country's current hold on wealth and power, we're just about there. On the other hand, Trump has been doing everything he can to erode America's wealth, power, and influence in the world. (He's bad on trade, he treats the military top brass with disrespect, and he's extremely unreliable with respect to allies and treaties. It's as though he was doing it for another country's interests, not ours. A country that wants to be taller by making us shorter. Russia.)

Checklist:

• Official at the top of government is authoritarian? Check.
  • Widespread government corruption? Check.
  • Top official blames minorities? Check.
  • Huge difference in wealth between richest and working class? Check.
  • Middle class shrinkage? Check.
  • Top official erodes societal norms for his own temporary benefit? Check.
  • Suggests he might become President for Life? Check.

Some other hallmarks of our tumble:

https://www.alternet.org/2018/11/here-are-5-ways-president-trump-behaves-leader-corrupt-banana-republic/

https://indyweek.com/news/archives/donald-trump-banana-republicans/

Here's an analysis from 2013. We were getting there even before Trump; but he has really put the twit in Twitter.

https://www.salon.com/2013/09/11/10_ways_america_has_come_to_resemble_a_banana_republic/

trump-banana-republic-president-192x300.