BIGTEX

YOU CAN TAKE THE NEGRO OUT OF AFRICA . . .

3 minutes ago, Skans said:

I agree.  In fact, do this little exercise:

Pick an era that you really would like to go back in time and live out the rest of your days.  You get to take anything and everything (and I mean anything) from this time frame that you can afford to purchase.  What would you take?

My list is quite long.  The longer your list, the more you really need to question how much you desire to go back to whatever-time more than live in the present time-frame. 

My time would be the early 1900's before a lot of the west was settled and the natural charm to it was stripped away via dams, vacation homes, irrigation and public works projects, and housing developments. As to what I would take back with me, I will make it short and leave a lot out. Waterproof tent, fishing pole, mp3 player of some sort, lots of batteries, lots of craft beer.

I see the point of your little experiment. Very interesting and insightful.

1 minute ago, impartialobserver said:

My time would be the early 1900's before a lot of the west was settled and the natural charm to it was stripped away via dams, vacation homes, irrigation and public works projects, and housing developments. As to what I would take back with me, I will make it short and leave a lot out. Waterproof tent, fishing pole, mp3 player of some sort, lots of batteries, lots of craft beer.

Don't forget your USB chargers for that MP3 player. Too bad you cannot take the Internet with you. It depends on satellites.

It would be amusing to enjoy the music of experienced musicians that have still to be born.

9 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

I would like to live in a post-revolutionary war US, say around 1800.  Here's my list:

A kit to build a 15,000 sf steel frame warehouse.

Lots of lumber, plywood and sheetrock

Pallets of concrete block and concrete

Solar arrays and back-up solar arrays

Lots of LED lights

Microscope.  Oh, what the heck, a table-top Electron Microscope.

Big reflecting telescope.

generators that can operate off of moving water from a stream

Several lap-tops and solid-state drives pre-loaded with movies, entertainment, etc. printers and printer ink.

Explosives, Ammo, Guns

Anti-biotics and other medicines

Dental instruments and lots of toothpaste

A dirt-bike that can run on bio-diesel

Whatever money I have left over, gold - lots and lots of gold.  Oh, and a couple of pallets of different grade billets of stainless steel.

I could go on and on, but you get the point.  Yeah, I'm a 21st century pussy who wants to live in 1800 America!

4 minutes ago, Skans said:

Planning on do it yourself dentistry? Will you take floss and use it?

Just now, XavierOnassis said:

Planning on do it yourself dentistry? Will you take floss and use it?

Heck yeah!  Or, teach some gentle sole to do it.  I don't want to be wearing a set of wood teeth some day.  The thought of rotten teeth falling out of my mouth - that's just a freaking nightmare.

9 minutes ago, Skans said:

I would like to live in a post-revolutionary war US, say around 1800.  Here's my list:

A kit to build a 15,000 sf steel frame warehouse.

Lots of lumber, plywood and sheetrock

Pallets of concrete block and concrete

Solar arrays and back-up solar arrays

Lots of LED lights

Microscope.  Oh, what the heck, a table-top Electron Microscope.

Big reflecting telescope.

generators that can operate off of moving water from a stream

Several lap-tops and solid-state drives pre-loaded with movies, entertainment, etc. printers and printer ink.

Explosives, Ammo, Guns

Anti-biotics and other medicines

A dirt-bike that can run on bio-diesel

Whatever money I have left over, gold - lots and lots of gold.  Oh, and a couple of pallets of different grade billets of stainless steel.

I could go on and on, but you get the point.  Yeah, I'm a 21st century pussy who wants to live in 1800 America!

Yes, I do get the point. Have lived in a remote and far less modern setting (Shoup, Id... look that one up on a map). I want to say that I did not have a yearning for some of the more modern items but I did. 

The absolute best time to be alive in the United States of America was the mid-late 1950s.

Brown vs Board of Education marked the beginning of the downhill slide for America.

Tasks that today are quite simple and mundane would take some serious effort, energy, and possibly money. Imagine living out in the woods and running out of ammo. Today, you get on a smart phone and order it or you simply drive to town and task complete within hours or days. With no vehicle and no way to re-order items easily, one would spend a lot of time making this transaction happen or being very creative in the absence of it.