Sign in to follow this  
Olivaw

Democratic Debate Night 2

The second debate is about to begin. From the left of the stage, participants are:

• Author and activist Marianne Williamson
  • Former Colorado Gov. John Hickenlooper
  • Entrepreneur Andrew Yang
  • South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg
  • Former Vice President Joe Biden
  • Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders
  • California Sen. Kamala Harris
  • New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand
  • Colorado Sen. Michael Bennet
  • California Rep. Eric Swalwell

https://www.vox.com/2019/6/27/18760745/democratic-debate-time-schedule-live-stream-candidates-second-night

I thought the moderators lost control of the debate to the extent that it became distracting. I hope Rachel Maddow and Chuck Todd do a better job in the second half. 

Marianne Williamson. Is the only standout for me, so far.

Ugly moment between Harris and Biden. Harris went into prosecutor mode. Biden handled it well, IMO.  

My thoughts, 

All in all, a disappointing night for me. The pundits said they wanted a slugfest and I think they got it. I wanted to be inspired and didn’t get it. 

• Marianne Williamson did well for somebody who has no chance whatsoever. My wife found her annoying.
  • John Hickenlooper was likeable but not presidential. 
  • Andrew Yang is a single issue candidate. Hopefully he drops out quickly. 
  • Pete Buttigieg failed to demonstrate much beyond youthful exuberance. 
  • Joe Biden was lacklustre but competent. He neither helped nor hurt himself. 
  • Bernie Sanders was fine, but I never get the sense that he has a serious plan to implement his ideas. 
  • Kamala Harris was too prosecutorial.
  • Kirsten Gillibrand did herself no favors. 
  • Michael Bennet was likeable and forgettable.
  • Eric Swalwell did reasonably well but did nothing outstanding.

My imprssions:

I was favorably impressed by Kirsten Gillibrand.   She got down to the root causes of corruption in Washington:---  Big Money interests buying legislation with big donations.  And she called for getting money out of politics by, among other things, having publicly funded elections.  She also deliberately interrupted the moderators and other candidates, but, IMO, not as rudely as de Blasio, last night.  In many of her ideas, Gillibrand out-Bernied Bernie.  And she came acoss as a fighter.

Bernie was his usual self, effectively citing his beliefs, by heart.  Bernie didn't miss a beat.

I was favorably impressed by Kamala Harris.   She came across as more progressive than I previously thought.  And she and Bernie were the ONLY ones who were in favor or getting the insurance companies out of health care;  Of which I'm in favor.

IMO, the above three have presidential presence.  Gillibrand and Harris have a big advantage over Bernie in being 52 and 54, respectively

To me, Pete Buttigieg came across as a lightweight.  And he was often vague on the issues.  I expect he and the remaining others to drop out of the race, soon.

I thought Kamala Harris performed best.  If she had the progressive record as a prosecutor, I think she'd have this locked down except for maybe Elizabeth Warren.

Joe Biden did very poorly, I thought.  Yang didn't get enough speaking time.  Bernie did what Bernie does best, but I still feel Warren is the best bet for actually getting anything done except maybe Harris.  Plus I don't think Bernie knows how to appeal to anyone but his base at this point.  I'm still not convinced Marianne Williamson isn't just some lady who wandered onto the debate stage and stated she was running for President of the Moon, and everyone was too scared to question it.  

Morning Joe says last night's debate was a disaster for the Democrats. Joe is a Republican but he can't stand Trump. 

The second debate was a bit more informational, but not by much. But what could one expect with ten people, each only having a short amount time to talk. Not a lot of information.

I thought to begin with they could have a game show format where each contestant would be given 2 what I call Debate bucks. 

A question regarding civics, geography or world affairs would be asked. If you buzz to answer the question and get it right you move onto the next round.

Only 5 players get to the next round where there is a real 2 hour debate. 

If you buzz to answer the question first but get the question incorrect you lose one debate buck. If you lose both debate bucks you go home without participating in the second round real debate. Thanks for playing. 

A different offering. Have the 10 participants debate on one singular topic each night. Suggested single topics: Healthcare, Climate change, Education, The Economy. 

This drives the candidate into a deeper dive into each topic. Say the debate topic is Healthcare. Questions would be centered around how can we make universal healthcare work in the richest nation on Earth. 

Possible question: one contestant in Debate 1 stated that Single Payer would not work because then Hospitals would be forced to take Medicare payments for all services which would quickly cause hospitals to go broke. First, is this true, and if so, how could single payer work?

Possible answer: If we had single payer, it is true that hospitals would have to take the same medicare payment. But the fact is this - hospitals would save a whole lot of money in administration costs, these savings would easily make up for the difference. There are several ways to improve healthcare within the hospital system that would create better outcomes as well as save money. Example: the government could buy up a bunch of state of the art MRI systems and give them to quality performance driven hospitals. This cost is paid for up front by the taxpayer. This allows the hospital to improve quality while still remaining profitable. 

etc etc. 

Peace!