Sign in to follow this  
drvoke

Four restaurants in the Bronx feel the Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez effect

Related image

The AOC Effect. She endorses a candidate, they win. She gives a shout-out to her favorite Bronx restaurants, business booms. Her charisma, popularity, and champion-of-the-underdog populism is contagious. A child of the social media generation. 4.5 million Twitter followers and growing. Tread carefully, cons.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/24/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-effect-four-bronx-restaurants

(Full article at above link)

Aurora Cerrato says it took all of one day for the AOC effect to take hold at her restaurant in Little Italy in the Bronx.

When Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez – the New York congresswoman, progressive rising star in the Democratic party and local Bronx celebrity – tweeted about her visit to MangiPasta earlier this month, Cerrato saw an almost immediate uptick in visitors.

“They were like ‘you know why I’m here?’ I’m like ‘no’. Even take out, they’re like ‘I want to try your food because Ocasio-Cortez mentioned you, said you have quality food,’” says Cerrato, 33.

The restaurant, which specializes in homemade pasta, was one of four Bronx establishments recommended by Ocasio-Cortez, 29, after she was asked for tips of local food spots in her home borough on Twitter – describing MangiPasta as “SUPER fresh, handmade Italian, family owned”.

Embarking on a tour of the four restaurants, the Guardian spoke to Cerrato one lunch time last week, as she paused intermittently to bid farewell to customers.

Cerrato said she did not immediately recognize the Bronx-born congresswoman, but her husband Estevan, who is American, and their customers soon did.

“The clients that we had that night here, they took a few pictures,” says Cerrato. “She was very nice, she even got up, she went to the table of some customers who were asking her questions, she stood there, spent some time with them, so very polite, very nice person.”

Cerrato said she likes that the politician has not lost touch with her local community since relocating to Washington after taking office in January.

“I understand that, because I’m from Naples and I don’t forget my background,” says Cerrato.

The next two stops on the list – both described by Ocasio-Cortez as “incredible” – are a 30-minute bus ride away in Parkchester, where she used to live.

At family-run Mexican restaurant Taqueria Tlaxcalli, there’s a friendly atmosphere as staff chat and the chefs make a burrito order in the open kitchen behind the bar.

Rosa Gomez, 23, whose father opened the restaurant 13 years ago, says she has seen Ocasio-Cortez in the restaurant a couple of times. Her order, she says, is “usually a chicken burrito, not spicy, and she usually cuts it in half and shares it with someone”.

Gomez, who has lived in the area her whole life, likes the attention she is bringing to the area. “Parkchester itself, the Bronx, is not very talked about and when it is it kind of has a negative aspect to it, so I feel like it’s definitely a positive attention that she’s bringing to the Bronx and to areas like ours.”

At Neerob, a Bangladeshi and Halal Chinese restaurant across the road, owner Mohammed Khokon greets the Guardian enthusiastically from the table where he’s eating lunch.

After offering tea and samosas, he says that Ocasio-Cortez used to live across the road from him. “She’s a wonderful lady. She came before the election to our restaurant.”

He says he is skeptical of most politicians but likes new people entering mainstream politics. “I don’t like it to be same guy over and over … I see their promising, they never keep their promise,” he adds. 

But Ocasio-Cortez, he says, is standing up for her community. “She’s fighting for us.”

When she comes, he says, she “likes everything” they serve at the restaurant.

AOC is not his only high profile visitor he’s had. On the wall is a framed picture of Khokon and the late celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain.

Khokon, who started out as a delivery person when he moved to New York in 1991 from Bangladesh, launched his business in 2009. When he started he made $200 a day, but now he says the restaurant is successful. “I never give up,” he says.

In five to six years, the Bronx, he predicts, will be “another Manhattan”.

The final stop on the tour, Louie & Ernie’s Pizza – a “top NYC pizza spot”, according to Ocasio-Cortez – is a short subway journey away.

Owner John Tiso, 52, said Ocasio-Cortez has been there a couple of times – after appearing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and most recently two weeks ago.

His daughter Victoria, who has a photo of herself with Ocasio-Cortez on her phone, says her order consists of: “Chicken slice, peperoni slice, regular slice, it’s usually the same thing.”

Tiso, who bought the business with his brother 32 years ago, says the Bronx is becoming known as a foodie destination.

“I’m glad that she’s doing a lot of stuff for the community. I know that she’s trying to help all areas, all aspects that the other gentleman didn’t do."

Image result for trump aoc bartender cartoon

Philosophical question.  Popularity.

Would you rather be smart, strong, loyal, good, pure-of-heart, and

right on moral issues, a being of 'honor & character'--and-- "unpopular"...……...…….or,...………...vise versa?

Each soul must choose.    😇

I found those restaurants are selling now a lot of their catering equipment, and the price is really cheap, I didn't expect them to take everything out to sell. And they are having quite good equipment, as I saw a port of it is from  https://ianboer.com.au , a friend of mine told me that this equipment cost much more. The furniture on sell to, but it is not that expensive.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:56 PM, drvoke said:

The AOC Effect. She endorses a candidate, they win. She gives a shout-out to her favorite Bronx restaurants, business booms. Her charisma, popularity, and champion-of-the-underdog populism is contagious. A child of the social media generation. 4.5 million Twitter followers and growing. Tread carefully, cons.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/24/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-effect-four-bronx-restaurants

Aurora Cerrato says it took all of one day for the AOC effect to take hold at her restaurant in Little Italy in the Bronx.

When Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez – the New York congresswoman, progressive rising star in the Democratic party and local Bronx celebrity – tweeted about her visit to MangiPasta earlier this month, Cerrato saw an almost immediate uptick in visitors.

“They were like ‘you know why I’m here?’ I’m like ‘no’. Even take out, they’re like ‘I want to try your food because Ocasio-Cortez mentioned you, said you have quality food,’” says Cerrato, 33.

The restaurant, which specializes in homemade pasta, was one of four Bronx establishments recommended by Ocasio-Cortez, 29, after she was asked for tips of local food spots in her home borough on Twitter – describing MangiPasta as “SUPER fresh, handmade Italian, family owned”.

Embarking on a tour of the four restaurants, the Guardian spoke to Cerrato one lunch time last week, as she paused intermittently to bid farewell to customers.

Cerrato said she did not immediately recognize the Bronx-born congresswoman, but her husband Estevan, who is American, and their customers soon did.

“The clients that we had that night here, they took a few pictures,” says Cerrato. “She was very nice, she even got up, she went to the table of some customers who were asking her questions, she stood there, spent some time with them, so very polite, very nice person.”

Cerrato said she likes that the politician has not lost touch with her local community since relocating to Washington after taking office in January.

“I understand that, because I’m from Naples and I don’t forget my background,” says Cerrato.

The next two stops on the list – both described by Ocasio-Cortez as “incredible” – are a 30-minute bus ride away in Parkchester, where she used to live.

At family-run Mexican restaurant Taqueria Tlaxcalli, there’s a friendly atmosphere as staff chat and the chefs make a burrito order in the open kitchen behind the bar.

Rosa Gomez, 23, whose father opened the restaurant 13 years ago, says she has seen Ocasio-Cortez in the restaurant a couple of times. Her order, she says, is “usually a chicken burrito, not spicy, and she usually cuts it in half and shares it with someone”.

Gomez, who has lived in the area her whole life, likes the attention she is bringing to the area. “Parkchester itself, the Bronx, is not very talked about and when it is it kind of has a negative aspect to it, so I feel like it’s definitely a positive attention that she’s bringing to the Bronx and to areas like ours.”

At Neerob, a Bangladeshi and Halal Chinese restaurant across the road, owner Mohammed Khokon greets the Guardian enthusiastically from the table where he’s eating lunch.

After offering tea and samosas, he says that Ocasio-Cortez used to live across the road from him. “She’s a wonderful lady. She came before the election to our restaurant.”

He says he is skeptical of most politicians but likes new people entering mainstream politics. “I don’t like it to be same guy over and over … I see their promising, they never keep their promise,” he adds. 

But Ocasio-Cortez, he says, is standing up for her community. “She’s fighting for us.”

AOC is not his only high profile visitor he’s had. On the wall is a framed picture of Khokon and the late celebrity chef Anthony Bourdain.

Khokon, who started out as a delivery person when he moved to New York in 1991 from Bangladesh, launched his business in 2009. When he started he made $200 a day, but now he says the restaurant is successful. “I never give up,” he says.

The final stop on the tour, Louie & Ernie’s Pizza – a “top NYC pizza spot”, according to Ocasio-Cortez – is a short subway journey away.

Owner John Tiso, 52, said Ocasio-Cortez has been there a couple of times – after appearing on The Late Show with Stephen Colbert and most recently two weeks ago.

His daughter Victoria, who has a photo of herself with Ocasio-Cortez on her phone, says her order consists of: “Chicken slice, peperoni slice, regular slice, it’s usually the same thing.”

Tiso, who bought the business with his brother 32 years ago, says the Bronx is becoming known as a foodie destination.

“I’m glad that she’s doing a lot of stuff for the community. I know that she’s trying to help all areas, all aspects that the other gentleman didn’t do."

thanks for the update on how the media is directly related to keeping ancestors into typecast character role players hoping nobody discovers what is really going on. As all governed lines of communication are designed to stop understanding by individuals anywhere and everywhere in this atmosphere.

technology finally brought Orwell's 1984 to fruition. Only took a century to complete and the media pretends it is a current trend.

On 6/24/2019 at 11:15 PM, Taipan said:

Philosophical question.  Popularity.

Would you rather be smart, strong, loyal, good, pure-of-heart, and

right on moral issues, a being of 'honor & character'--and-- "unpopular"...……...…….or,...………...vise versa?

Each soul must choose.    😇

each sole reproduction has more choices than socially offered to pay and play out other people directing their time being alive now.

Know what you want freedom from before leading everyone to escape natural positions of life.

the practice of escaping naturally positioned as displaced only induces social insanity ancestrally from now on as humanity directed human nature to this point.

49 minutes ago, king of the county said:

Trump doesn’t even drink alcohol 

I have never done drugs outside legal consumption of alcoholic beverages and I only got drunk twice before swearing to never get dry heaves again and that was 47 years ago. Yet most people on the forums I post keep projecting I need to put the crack pipe down or take meds designed for the socially insane with no center of gravity to why they are alive now. I am instinctively sane knowing how nd why I exist as eternally sorted apart in reproductive order of the population living now.

I don't cast doubt, therefore I am anti social, mentally unstable, perverted, crazy?

what has human life become normally instead of naturally alive now? Oh how you perform casting doubt real is real so everyone has to morally, legally, ethically pick a side defending idiologies defining life as real doesn't count in societal evolution rule of law.

see why I don't like your character role playing and that behavior makes sure I never come face to face with you, so never get in mine as I know why you would, to silence my understanding I say doesn't socially matter.

On 6/24/2019 at 10:56 PM, drvoke said:

The AOC Effect.

No one is denying AOC's popularity in her own district.  She screwed over New York, however, and many New Yorkers hate her.  As for us folks in the South, she might as well be the Devil incarnate. 

3 minutes ago, Skans said:

No one is denying AOC's popularity in her own district.  She screwed over New York, however, and many New Yorkers hate her.  As for us folks in the South, she might as well be the Devil incarnate. 

What creates an actual hell on earth as it is in the promise of heaven in the afterlife only achieved by total loyalty to vocabulary arts cradle to grave as ancestrally practiced historically now?.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:57 PM, king of the county said:

Where is her sex tape?

^^^creepy^^^    Get some help dude.

1 minute ago, fishhead said:

^^^creepy^^^    Get some help dude.

You don't recognize Howard Stern shock jock mentality coming from KOC. Same crap that AOC does with a different set of words. Same principle.

10 minutes ago, sole result said:

You don't recognize Howard Stern shock jock mentality coming from KOC. Same crap that AOC does with a different set of words. Same principle.

Haha are you sticking up for me?

5 minutes ago, king of the county said:

Haha are you sticking up for me?

that is how you interpret what I said? I put your behavior on the opposite side of using vocabulary against persons not acting like social people in type cast charater role playing as AOC.

heads your side wins, tails my ancestral position loses its liberty.

52 minutes ago, king of the county said:

Trump doesn’t even drink alcohol 

Cocaine is trumps thing.

2 minutes ago, fishhead said:

Cocaine is trumps thing.

I think you mislabelled Coke Cola. then again Donald maybe a pepsi person.

1 minute ago, EltonJohnson said:

The real  AOC Effect is  losing  25,000  jobs  from the Amazon  HQ

YES..if she gets to Shut downs Trumps racist twitter..she will cause 100,000 job losses....i am already crying

3 minutes ago, EltonJohnson said:

The real  AOC Effect is  losing  25,000  jobs  from the Amazon  HQ

Amazon is going to implode as fast as it came into existence.

1 minute ago, sole result said:

I think you mislabelled Coke Cola. then again Donald maybe a pepsi person.

you may be right..he gives me dyspepsia 

On 6/25/2019 at 3:56 AM, drvoke said:

Related image

Image result for trump aoc bartender cartoon

I would like trump to do a reality show where he is a bartender for a month !!!! in new york of course..CHEERS

Just now, IvanSirko said:

YES..if she gets to Shut downs Trumps racist twitter..she will cause 100,000 job losses....i am already crying

Nobody is paying attention to what reality does to people while ignoring their position of occupying space as a representative to how reproduction keeps lifetimes perpetually spaced apart now as the total sum is only adapting to the moment here.

but you all stay on semanitcs and the natural destruction created at ignoring now is eternity doesn't stop compounding all mistakes into critical self destruction of one's own species..

3 minutes ago, IvanSirko said:

I would like trump to do a reality show where he is a bartender for a month !!!! in new york of course..CHEERS

I want Cortez to get with reality 

3 minutes ago, IvanSirko said:

you may be right..he gives me dyspepsia 

You had it without Donald being president. you just justify having it because he got elected.  misdirection by your intellect not flying past my instinctive awareness to how social order is sustained by maintaining constant doubt now is eternity 24/7 ancestrally taking place.

Church and state are metaphors for separating instincts from conception and intellectual development after birth.

The great organism that has evolved into a cyber enhanced reality has fired its auto-immunisation programme against the re-actionists and separatists from the global creature..