JeanMoulin

Booker blew his chance fo VP

I believe Biden would have chosen him.  but he pulled the race card against him. WTF was he thinking? He might as well called Biden Chinese. It would have been a good ticket. Now Biden will have to pick someone else. Unfortunate. This country will never elect another black president at this point in time. Maybe years from now. but not now. This was his best shot at getting into the White House.

Biden is sinking. All he had to do was apologize, and he dug the hole deeper. It's a matter of time.

Biden is doing everything wrong from him wanting the "middle ground" on climate change to bragging about working with segregationists he is going to fail this time just like every other time when running for the democratic nominee. 

12 hours ago, JeanMoulin said:

I believe Biden would have chosen him.  but he pulled the race card against him. WTF was he thinking? He might as well called Biden Chinese. It would have been a good ticket. Now Biden will have to pick someone else. Unfortunate. This country will never elect another black president at this point in time. Maybe years from now. but not now. This was his best shot at getting into the White House.

I don't believe Biden is going to be the nominee.  All signs point to the voters wanting someone who is far more progressive.  

1 hour ago, RollingRock said:

I don't believe Biden is going to be the nominee.  All signs point to the voters wanting someone who is far more progressive.  

Yeah because if the DCCC decides to nominate someone like a Hillary again it will alienate the progressive wing of the democratic party and will cause the same thing to happen that did in 2016. 

Low voter turnout, people voting third party and people writing in candidates. 

As to Booker, he could end up as the nominee. Or perhaps the VP candidate for either Pete Buttigieg or Kamala Harris.

I'd like any permutation of those three. How about B & B: Booker and Buttigieg or Buttigieg and Booker.

Note Booker and Buttigieg were both Rhodes scholars.  That would be the smartest ticket... ever.

37 minutes ago, laripu said:

As to Booker, he could end up as the nominee. Or perhaps the VP candidate for either Pete Buttigieg or Kamala Harris.

I'd like any permutation of those three. How about B & B: Booker and Buttigieg or Buttigieg and Booker.

Note Booker and Buttigieg were both Rhodes scholars.  That would be the smartest ticket... ever.

You are going to hand THE PIG 4 more years with that kind of thinking.

1 hour ago, laripu said:

I miss having an intelligent president.  :(  Both are really smart guys.  I like them both.

3 hours ago, zkyllonen8 said:

Yeah because if the DCCC decides to nominate someone like a Hillary again it will alienate the progressive wing of the democratic party and will cause the same thing to happen that did in 2016. 

Low voter turnout, people voting third party and people writing in candidates. 

I totally agree.  

Due to the fact that Trump is such a complete trainwreck, I'm resigned to voting for whatever candidates the Democrats nominate, even if it's Biden.  :(  But I wouldn't like it....at all.  There are quite a few intelligent, progressive candidates.  I really hope one of them is the eventual nominee, not Biden.

1 hour ago, RollingRock said:

I miss having an intelligent president.  :(  Both are really smart guys.  I like them both.

I watched Corey Booker in and interview with Lawrence O'Donnell last night.  I was extremely impressed.  Near the end of the interview O'Donnell switched the subject from domestic issues to the situation with Iran.  Booker didn't miss a beat and revealed detailed knowledge of the problems in the region.

I was equally impressed by Buttigieg, as well.  A Booker/Buttigieg ticket would be a night-and-day contrast to the ignorant and bigoted leadership we have now.

In general, the Democratic field is filled with extremely bright, capable hopefuls.  The debates should narrow the field, leaving only a few of the best standing.

2 hours ago, JeanMoulin said:

Biden 2020 would be worse than Hillary 2016.  Having recently shown near-incoherence when pressed.  Comments like "I've been involved with civil rights my whole career:  Period, period, period".  I suspect he will emerge from the debates, greatly weakened.

Here he is reassuring the mega-rich that if he's elected, nothing will change:  “The truth of the matter is, you all, you all know, you all know in your gut what has to be done. We can disagree in the margins but the truth of the matter is it’s all within our wheelhouse and nobody has to be punished. No one’s standard of living will change, nothing would fundamentally change,”

At a time when the awareness that climate change must be dealt with now if only to lessen the magnitude of the coming disaster, Biden advocates half-measures, seeming to be only dimly aware of the true nature of the problem.

He blew his chances when he was palling around with Betsy DeVos.  Elizabeth Warren wasn't going to choose him anyway!  Warren/Harris 2020.

10 minutes ago, Cecelia said:

He blew his chances when he was palling around with Betsy DeVos.  Elizabeth Warren wasn't going to choose him anyway!  Warren/Harris 2020.

You're dreaming. Middle America will never vote for a woman president. I don't like it, but it's a fact. Real estate determines our presidents. Again. I don't like it, but it's a fact.

1 hour ago, bludog said:

Biden 2020 would be worse than Hillary 2016.  Having recently shown near-incoherence when pressed.  Comments like "I've been involved with civil rights my whole career:  Period, period, period".  I suspect he will emerge from the debates, greatly weakened.

Here he is reassuring the mega-rich that if he's elected, nothing will change:  “The truth of the matter is, you all, you all know, you all know in your gut what has to be done. We can disagree in the margins but the truth of the matter is it’s all within our wheelhouse and nobody has to be punished. No one’s standard of living will change, nothing would fundamentally change,”

At a time when the awareness that climate change must be dealt with now if only to lessen the magnitude of the coming disaster, Biden advocates half-measures, seeming to be only dimly aware of the true nature of the problem.

the icing on the cake was when biden said he never called me boy, he called me son.

that meant nothing, biden is white in case he doesn't notice.

6 hours ago, JeanMoulin said:

First of all, you don't know that, because the election has not yet happened.

Secondly, I'm not alone in my thinking: many think that Biden is too old, that he's too weak as a candidate, that he has too much baggage. Not only do others agree, there is evidence:

1. Biden is too old: by the time he would be sworn in, he'd be 78. Even Reagan was under 74 when elected to his second term, and he had dementia. This is a dangerous thing for the country.

2. Biden is too weak as a candidate: Here is his percent achieved in three presidential primaries:

1984: 0.03% tied for last.

1988: 0.05% tied for second to last

2008: withdrew because he had virtually no support.

3. Too much baggage: Speech plagiarism, 1988. Anita Hill, 1991.   Crime bill, 1994. Defense of Marriage bill, 1995.  Bankruptcy bill, 2005. 

Basically, Biden is an absolutely terrible candidate, who has name recognition because of Barack Obama.

JM, I call on you to abandon this bad idea you're pushing in thread after thread.

3 hours ago, bludog said:

I watched Corey Booker in and interview with Lawrence O'Donnell last night.  I was extremely impressed.  Near the end of the interview O'Donnell switched the subject from domestic issues to the situation with Iran.  Booker didn't miss a beat and revealed detailed knowledge of the problems in the region.

I watched that interview as well!  Very impressive indeed.  We watch Lawrence O'Donnell most every evening.  Booker is so focused on everyday Americans it's moving.  You can tell when you listen to him that he truly cares and wants to make a difference.  I'm surprised that he's not doing better in the polls.  But, hey, it's early and I tend to believe that things will shift wildly after the debates next week.  I'd definitely support Booker if he were nominated.

I was equally impressed by Buttigieg, as well.  A Booker/Buttigieg ticket would be a night-and-day contrast to the ignorant and bigoted leadership we have now.

Mayor Pete is extremely impressive as well.  Another Rhodes scholar who speaks 7 or 8 languages.  You can tell when you listen to him that he's brilliant.  He's got a reasoned response to everything in every interview.  Because of his age, I'm skeptical about him being the nominee (although I'd vote for him if he was).  He'd also make an outstanding VP choice!  Booker/Buttigieg would have my vote, no question.

In general, the Democratic field is filled with extremely bright, capable hopefuls.  The debates should narrow the field, leaving only a few of the best standing.

I agree.  I love Bernie but I'm leaving all my options open.  There are several great candidates and I'm looking forward to hearing what they each have to say.  

2 hours ago, Cecelia said:

A good choice too. If I can't get B & B, I'll be extremely happy with W & H. They're both also very very smart.

But could you imagine how shameful the right wing response would be to B & B? They'd alternate between anti-black and anti-gay bigotry, alienating the 10% of independents that they need to win an election.

None of the above have lost three presidential primaries with less than 0.1% of the vote. Unlike B__en, who has lost and lost and lost, each time through his own fault.

It's pretty clear to me that you people don't know how to win a war, and that's exactly what this is. The republican swine are betting on you to throw the best candidate we have under the bus. There have been some thoughts on how the democratic party will eat themselves, and you are proof. Let me ask you this. If Biden becomes the nominee, will you vote for him, or will you stay home? If not I don't want to come here in 2020 after THE PIG gets another 4 years and hear you bitching about it. Is that fair?

1 hour ago, JeanMoulin said:

the best candidate we have.

Your opinion.   Will he still be "the best candidate we have" if he falls behind in the debates? 

It's pretty clear to me that you people don't know how to win a war, and that's exactly what this is.

You are mistaken.  So far, this has been entirely politics.  If war breaks out, no one could fail to notice the difference.

he republican swine are betting on you to throw the best candidate we have under the bus. 

Many of the more shrewd Republicans are hoping Biden wins the primaries.  Being shrewd, they are not optimistic.

There have been some thoughts on how the democratic party will eat themselves, and you are proof.

Your opinion is not proof.  It's not even evidence.

Let me ask you this. If Biden becomes the nominee, will you vote for him, or will you stay home?

If Biden becomes our candidate, he has my support and my vote.  Even a failing, old Corporate Democrat would be better than Mein Trumpf.

If not I don't want to come here in 2020 after THE PIG gets another 4 years and hear you bitching about it.   Is that fair?

Likewise, should Der Trumpkpfk should defeat Biden in a landslide.  Is that fair?

On 6/20/2019 at 8:56 PM, JeanMoulin said:

He might as well called Biden Chinese. It would have been a good ticket.

In your mind, is calling someone Chinese some kind of slanderous term?

On 6/20/2019 at 8:56 PM, JeanMoulin said:

This country will never elect another black president at this point in time.

Ok,.... so you will not support a black candidate.....because you have determined that black candidates can't win.

This will eliminate Messam, Booker, and Harris.

5 hours ago, JeanMoulin said:

Middle America will never vote for a woman president.

Ok, .....so you will not support a woman......because you have determined that women candidates can't win.

This will eliminate Gabbard, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, Warren, Williamson, and Harris(again).

I suspect, given your comment above, that you will not support a chinese candidate.....because you have determined that chinese candidates can't win.

This will eliminate Andrew Yang.

Who do we have left?

Bennet, Biden, Bullock, Buttigieg, Castro, de Blasio, Delaney, Hickenlooper, Inslee, Moulton, O'Rourke, Ryan, Sanders, and Swalwel.

If we knew your feelings about Hispanic, Irish, & Gay men, the list could be narrawed down even further.

... Your feelings about whether 'Middle America' would ever support, of course.

2 hours ago, laripu said:

First of all, you don't know that, because the election has not yet happened.

Secondly, I'm not alone in my thinking: many think that Biden is too old, that he's too weak as a candidate, that he has too much baggage. Not only do others agree, there is evidence:

1. Biden is too old: by the time he would be sworn in, he'd be 78. Even Reagan was under 74 when elected to his second term, and he had dementia. This is a dangerous thing for the country.

2. Biden is too weak as a candidate: Here is his percent achieved in three presidential primaries:

1984: 0.03% tied for last.

1988: 0.05% tied for second to last

2008: withdrew because he had virtually no support.

3. Too much baggage: Speech plagiarism, 1988. Anita Hill, 1991.   Crime bill, 1994. Defense of Marriage bill, 1995.  Bankruptcy bill, 2005. 

Basically, Biden is an absolutely terrible candidate, who has name recognition because of Barack Obama.

JM, I call on you to abandon this bad idea you're pushing in thread after thread.

Yes this what I mean the whole problem with Biden is that everyone knows him because of his name recognition and that is it 

when people actually dig into his past and his stances on issues they will be disgusted. 

The Perfect ticket in my opinion would be a bernie/beto ticket since this would eliminate the problem with bernie's age and have a young progressive ready if something was to go wrong.

23 minutes ago, ExPDXer said:

In your mind, is calling someone Chinese some kind of slanderous term?

Ok,.... so you will not support a black candidate.....because you have determined that black candidates can't win.

This will eliminate Messam, Booker, and Harris.

Ok, .....so you will not support a woman......because you have determined that women candidates can't win.

This will eliminate Gabbard, Gillibrand, Klobuchar, Warren, Williamson, and Harris(again).

I suspect, given your comment above, that you will not support a chinese candidate.....because you have determined that chinese candidates can't win.

This will eliminate Andrew Yang.

Who do we have left?

Bennet, Biden, Bullock, Buttigieg, Castro, de Blasio, Delaney, Hickenlooper, Inslee, Moulton, O'Rourke, Ryan, Sanders, and Swalwel.

If we knew your feelings about Hispanic, Irish, & Gay men, the list could be narrawed down even further.

... Your feelings about whether 'Middle America' would ever support, of course.

I will support any candidate that the democratic chooses, but I have to accept the fact if they choose a women or an African American, we will loose. I was hoping for a Biden/ Booker ticket but that's pretty much out the window now.

4 minutes ago, JeanMoulin said:

I will support any candidate that the democratic chooses, but I have to accept the fact if they choose a women or an African American, we will loose. I was hoping for a Biden/ Booker ticket but that's pretty much out the window now.

A biden/booker ticket would not be bad but it would still have the fundamental issues that the democratic party has been facing for sometime now, we need real fundamental change, and with biden at the helm this would not take place and I do truely believe that the same thing will happen that did in 2016 with dis affectionate democrats voting for third party or even for the opposite side because again they feel betrayed by the Establishment wing of the party.

59 minutes ago, zkyllonen8 said:

A biden/booker ticket would not be bad but it would still have the fundamental issues that the democratic party has been facing for sometime now, we need real fundamental change, and with biden at the helm this would not take place and I do truely believe that the same thing will happen that did in 2016 with dis affectionate democrats voting for third party or even for the opposite side because again they feel betrayed by the Establishment wing of the party.

it is interesting for older folks to see this. Biden got along to get along to pass legislation that mattered. Booker has always tried to contest against tearing folks apart just so you could divide them into splintered groups. 

I love Cory Booker, he is true. I do think at first thought, that it's a bit PC, which is not the best approach considering the divide in this country as it sits. 

It's a long way away from the primaries even. You know, we want every able bodied person to show up and vote, and before they do we must expect that they

do vote with the best information available to them. 

What do ordinary folks of any color, any sexual preference, any religion, any thought about the rest want?

Nobody knows this, it's all sometimes too crazy, which leads many to become cynical, this much we have seen, for far too long.

They call them Representatives, those in congress. But sometimes I too wonder, whom they are called to represent.

But I'm going to vote. I'm going to vote for reasons I do believe are important to my fellow Americans. 

Climate change, healthcare, public schools, affordable college, repairing our infrastructure, a less imperialistic 

National response to the world at large. A voice for Peace!

Peace!

I don’t think there is anything inevitable about a Biden’s victory. His campaign has stumbled in the early days. He needs to do some damage control. I say this as a long time Biden admirer. 

Lizzie Warren’s campaign has been impressive. She has energy and ideas. She”s not my first choice but she’s growing on me.