Sign in to follow this  
Toldya

The 5G Cold War

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/06/07/business/huawei-russia-china-splinternet-intl/index.html

As countries continue to move ahead with developing their 5G networks -- which will provide faster speeds, faster connections and faster access to the cloud, empowering technologies such as self-driving cars and smart cities -- a divide is growing.
On one side, there are allies of Beijing who have no problem with Huawei, with Russia only the latest major example. On the other there is Washington and a handful of its closest allies, who have vowed to shut the Chinese firm out.
In the middle, however, remain a host of countries, most of which are traditionally closer to the US than China but are unwilling to incur the delays and extra cost to building their 5G networks that banning Huawei from playing a role would create. The US is already lagging behind China when it comes to 5G, and blocking the market leader will do nothing to help narrow that gap.
That's not to say the US can't catch up -- and eventually even overtake China -- but it will likely be a struggle.
The worst case scenario for many observers is that this divide solidifies, forcing governments to choose sides and setting up a next generation internet split between China and the US, something which could have major ramifications beyond which telecoms firm provides network equipment.
"Having mutually exclusive technological spheres doesn't simply mean supply chains will mirror each other on different continents," technology analyst Tim Culpan wrote recently. "Rather, for countries around the world, it means that every business and investment decision becomes a political one."

On 6/20/2019 at 6:30 AM, Toldya said:

its mutually important to understand that China already has a bigger economy than the US. And soon, with all the Research and Development, we will want to share or know more about what they know.

Intellectual Property, who owns this? The kids growing up with horrid living conditions in some areas of Baltimore, the West Side in Chicago where bullets randomly fly?

Hell yes, in a lot of places in China, it's much worse, even if they currently do have a bigger economy then ours.

In India, that's a big country that holds a whole lot of people, a lot of smart people, brilliant mathematicians, as well as a lot of people who are crippled, folks who are born with the worst

kind of capability, everywhere, in this world - there are folks who need help. 

You should know this. Just take a smattering of life, and understand we live in this kind of diversified, still way too ambiguous human condition, that people, governments are too afraid to define. Their motivation, some progress, some foolish truth, that they can project, over the whole, as if it weren't ever true.

No, I don't want nuclear bombs, or the threat of climate change. 

No, I don't want people stolen by disease at any age.

I don't want a world that is so foolish that it destroys itself, by the hand of human beings.

Jonas Salk worked on population growth before he died. He realized that it could be a sigmoidal function. 

Human beings could understand how to pull back on things. They could pursue education, purpose, and peace between nations one day.

Sharing knowledge for free someday. 

Peace!

Uh.... I dunno exactly what the previous poster's point was, but OK.

Uh 5 g..... Been readin a lot about it lately.Personally? I think it's waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over hyped. Heck we haven't even exploited 4 g fully.

Besides, what good is it to be the first in the tech game so much anymore? You still have to wait for everyone to catch up and by then your advancement will be obsolete.
I screwed up and became a graphic artist by trade. Well anyways, I have the latest greatest state of the art graphics software. To make any sort of file that others can see, much less use, I have to dummy things down to lower versions of various file types. For the company to get all the other equipment to catch up with me would be too costly. And they really don't need to IMHO.  I imagine much will be the same with 5G for at least two or three years.. Remember when windows 95 came out? You know how many companies that messed with for a while? I'll admit i'm not even almost a teckie. LOL I'm a high functioning computer illiterate. But I don't have to be a computer science major to know that if you get too far ahead of whats really out there, you're just peeing in the wind. I mean as it stands now, 5G will let us see five more photos faster than 4G. Don't get me wrong, there's all sorts of potential for 5g based systems, just that it's going to take a while for that to be realized. LOLOLOLOL Let the Chinese develop it and we'll steal the tech from them this time.

16 hours ago, DerangedResponse said:

Uh.... I dunno exactly what the previous poster's point was, but OK.

Uh 5 g..... Been readin a lot about it lately.Personally? I think it's waaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy over hyped. Heck we haven't even exploited 4 g fully.

Besides, what good is it to be the first in the tech game so much anymore? You still have to wait for everyone to catch up and by then your advancement will be obsolete.
I screwed up and became a graphic artist by trade. Well anyways, I have the latest greatest state of the art graphics software. To make any sort of file that others can see, much less use, I have to dummy things down to lower versions of various file types. For the company to get all the other equipment to catch up with me would be too costly. And they really don't need to IMHO.  I imagine much will be the same with 5G for at least two or three years.. Remember when windows 95 came out? You know how many companies that messed with for a while? I'll admit i'm not even almost a teckie. LOL I'm a high functioning computer illiterate. But I don't have to be a computer science major to know that if you get too far ahead of whats really out there, you're just peeing in the wind. I mean as it stands now, 5G will let us see five more photos faster than 4G. Don't get me wrong, there's all sorts of potential for 5g based systems, just that it's going to take a while for that to be realized. LOLOLOLOL Let the Chinese develop it and we'll steal the tech from them this time.

The US isn't blocking Huawei because of graphics software and snapchat.

5G is the point where driverless cars and smart homes become a reality... pretty much everything around you will be able to collect and share data 24/7.

4G was never going to be the massive event that 5G is going to be.

5G will be evolution but it may introduce significant upheaval when combined with other emerging technology. 

The concern about using technology from Huwawei to build out strategic national infrastructure is only partially understandable. There is no real evidence of backdoor spying by the Chinese government using Huawei equipment - it is more about suspicion and potential.  Huawei has financial ties to the Chinese government. Lots of western companies ties to their governments too. In the end, it boils down to the fact that we view China as a hostile foreign power. 

I think we wish that security was built in with the applications. 

But it is not at least not at this time.

And it costs a lot for a lot of people now, and soon it will cost a whole lot more.

It is out of control.

Stop it. Stop it all now. Stop it until we can figure out how to make

it safe.

because really, otherwise it becomes wild 

destructive even to those who wish not to utilize

any of its underlying benefit

Peace!