Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
drvoke

City officials canceled a children’s story time hosted by drag queens.

Recommended Posts

 

 

Image result for Drag Queen Story Hour

 

 

The organization Drag Queen Story Hour started in 2015 in San Francisco, but now has numerous chapters around the country. Their mission is to represent gender diversity and foster tolerance to children. Diversity and cultural cohesion.


 

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/city-officials-canceled-a-childrens-story-time-hosted-by-drag-queens-then-a-church-saved-the-day/ar-AACKD2y?ocid=spartanntp

(Full article at above link)

 

 

A public library in Texas will be partially closed this weekend in anticipation of demonstrations by political groups over a children’s story hour run by a drag queen that is planned at the branch.

The library in Leander, a city of 56,000 about 30 miles north of Austin, is providing space for Saturday’s drag queen storytime event, which will be hosted by a local church. But the rest of the facility will be closed.

Drag queen story hours have made libraries the latest front in the United States’ wrenching national dispute over gender roles and sexuality.

In Leander, city officials first canceled the story hour, which was to be hosted by the library, in late May before a progressive and LGBT-friendly church in the area, Open Cathedral, stepped in to host it. The church will hold the event in a conference room it booked at the library.

“A lot of people are upset we canceled, and a lot of people are upset we had it planned,” Priscilla Donovan, the library’s director, told reporters at the time. “But it’s starting to tip more toward people who are disappointed we canceled it.”

Now rumors are flying about whether right-wing groups, including those that lean toward the extreme, will be greeted by anti-fascist protesters in front of the library as people in drag read stories to children inside.

 

  “I think it is partly a reaction to the political landscape of the U.S. right now and a need for more queer programming for children,” co-founder Jonathan Hamilt said about the organization’s popularity in more conservative areas.

 

In recent months, the events have sparked opposition in places like Simpsonville, S.C.; Binghamton, N.Y.; Spokane, Wash.; Huntington Woods, Mich.; and Houston, where organizers canceled the long-running event after a lawsuit, the disclosure that one of the former readers was a registered sex offender and the arrest of a protester who was carrying a licensed gun and refused to leave the event.

 

 "I don’t think it is a coincidence that the culture war had found its way to the world of libraries. I realized that revolutions always start with books and libraries,” he said. “People feel so deeply isolated in our society — that’s true of a lot of groups, whether it’s straight white men, people of color or immigrants. And I believe that people want to be included no matter what, and that’s what we’re trying to do with the kids of this community.”

 

 

 

Image result for Drag Queen Story Hour

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just have to shake my head over this.

 

I personally believe that ALL Americans should be free to live their lives as they choose, without fear of discrimination, bigotry, or hate.  There is no arguing that the LGBTQ community has seen far more than their fair share of abuse, and that hate is something that needs to be addressed and combatted wherever it is found.

 

That said....

 

I do NOT think that children should have to suffer through someone with an agenda wagging their sexual lifestyle in their face!  Let kids be kids, and let them grow up enough to figure themselves out WHEN THE TIME COMES.  That we have a movement to allow parents to chemically alter their child's physiology to fit their parents' political ideology is nothing less than child abuse, and frankly this crap is almost as bad.  I look at those trying to sexualize children to push an agenda utterly despicable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why don't people just NOT GO?  The only kids there are the kids of parents who put them in the car and drove them there.  I could easily make the case that the psycho sh!t that goes on at those Bible camps is WAY more abusive and destructive to kids than having an adult dressed up like a cartoon character reading a story to them.  But I'm guessing the fundies don't want people shutting down their events, do they?  So...???  How about we line up and protest outside your Bible psychological torture camps and force you to operate on the margins?

 

I swear, people are such assh0les sometimes.  Grow up and mind your own damn business already.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I just have to shake my head over this.

 

I personally believe that ALL Americans should be free to live their lives as they choose, without fear of discrimination, bigotry, or hate.  There is no arguing that the LGBTQ community has seen far more than their fair share of abuse, and that hate is something that needs to be addressed and combatted wherever it is found.

 

That said....

 

I do NOT think that children should have to suffer through someone with an agenda wagging their sexual lifestyle in their face!  Let kids be kids, and let them grow up enough to figure themselves out WHEN THE TIME COMES.  That we have a movement to allow parents to chemically alter their child's physiology to fit their parents' political ideology is nothing less than child abuse, and frankly this crap is almost as bad.  I look at those trying to sexualize children to push an agenda utterly despicable.

Parents are taking their little carpet sharks to these events. That should be their right to do so. They are asking for issues or confusion in their child but this should be their right as a parent to decide. We cannot bubble wrap life for the willfully ignorant. Perhaps when they weep over their dead transexual kids grave, a child who decided to themselves, they will know the depth of the ignorance of their decision. Nah, they will blame society for not being more accepting of their beautiful rainbow snowflake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

37 minutes ago, Spartan said:

I just have to shake my head over this.

 

I personally believe that ALL Americans should be free to live their lives as they choose, without fear of discrimination, bigotry, or hate.  There is no arguing that the LGBTQ community has seen far more than their fair share of abuse, and that hate is something that needs to be addressed and combatted wherever it is found.

 

That said....

 

I do NOT think that children should have to suffer through someone with an agenda wagging their sexual lifestyle in their face!  Let kids be kids, and let them grow up enough to figure themselves out WHEN THE TIME COMES.  That we have a movement to allow parents to chemically alter their child's physiology to fit their parents' political ideology is nothing less than child abuse, and frankly this crap is almost as bad.  I look at those trying to sexualize children to push an agenda utterly despicable.

 

^^^^^

Pretty much my opinion.

 

But others feel differently.

 

 

Image result for Drag Queen Story Hour

 

Related image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, drvoke said:

Pretty much my opinion.

 

See?  We can agree on things from time to time!  ;-)

 

 

2 minutes ago, drvoke said:

 

But others feel differently.

 

Yeah, I know.

 

A friend of mine brought up an interesting point: she was talking about how people's "feelings" should be taken to account when discussing an issue (there are some who think "feelings" should take precedence even over hard fact) and I asked her: "So, whose 'feelings' should take precedent?  Do everyone's 'feelings' count equally.... or just those of people who agree with you?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is a private function being held in a private room that was rented for the occasion. What's the big deal? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, drvoke said:

 

 

Image result for Drag Queen Story Hour

 

 

The organization Drag Queen Story Hour started in 2015 in San Francisco, but now has numerous chapters around the country. Their mission is to represent gender diversity and foster tolerance to children. Diversity and cultural cohesion.


 

 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/city-officials-canceled-a-childrens-story-time-hosted-by-drag-queens-then-a-church-saved-the-day/ar-AACKD2y?ocid=spartanntp

(Full article at above link)

 

 

A public library in Texas will be partially closed this weekend in anticipation of demonstrations by political groups over a children’s story hour run by a drag queen that is planned at the branch.

The library in Leander, a city of 56,000 about 30 miles north of Austin, is providing space for Saturday’s drag queen storytime event, which will be hosted by a local church. But the rest of the facility will be closed.

Drag queen story hours have made libraries the latest front in the United States’ wrenching national dispute over gender roles and sexuality.

In Leander, city officials first canceled the story hour, which was to be hosted by the library, in late May before a progressive and LGBT-friendly church in the area, Open Cathedral, stepped in to host it. The church will hold the event in a conference room it booked at the library.

“A lot of people are upset we canceled, and a lot of people are upset we had it planned,” Priscilla Donovan, the library’s director, told reporters at the time. “But it’s starting to tip more toward people who are disappointed we canceled it.”

Now rumors are flying about whether right-wing groups, including those that lean toward the extreme, will be greeted by anti-fascist protesters in front of the library as people in drag read stories to children inside.

 

  “I think it is partly a reaction to the political landscape of the U.S. right now and a need for more queer programming for children,” co-founder Jonathan Hamilt said about the organization’s popularity in more conservative areas.

 

In recent months, the events have sparked opposition in places like Simpsonville, S.C.; Binghamton, N.Y.; Spokane, Wash.; Huntington Woods, Mich.; and Houston, where organizers canceled the long-running event after a lawsuit, the disclosure that one of the former readers was a registered sex offender and the arrest of a protester who was carrying a licensed gun and refused to leave the event.

 

 "I don’t think it is a coincidence that the culture war had found its way to the world of libraries. I realized that revolutions always start with books and libraries,” he said. “People feel so deeply isolated in our society — that’s true of a lot of groups, whether it’s straight white men, people of color or immigrants. And I believe that people want to be included no matter what, and that’s what we’re trying to do with the kids of this community.”

 

 

 

Image result for Drag Queen Story Hour

 

 

 

Not a second too soon !

 

What a fcking DISGUSTING and revolting image, these perverts in a kindergarten.

 

Californica truly is diseased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Spartan said:

There is no arguing that the LGBTQ community has seen far more than their fair share of abuse, ...

 

Obviously not enough to make them see reason ... or red lines that SHOULDN'T be crossed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

This is a private function being held in a private room that was rented for the occasion. What's the big deal? 

 

 

 

 

 

Image result for Drag Queen Story Hour

 

 

Related image

 

It wasn't rented. The time was reserved at a public school or library. If push comes to shove, a portion of the public could make it a taxpayer money allocation issue.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What is even more repulsive   __if that is even possilble__  are the children parents looking on approvingly !

 

These bastards should have their children taken away from them.

And then castrated and sterilized, to avoid recidivism.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, drvoke said:

 

 

 

It wasn't rented. The time was reserved at a public school or library. If push comes to shove, a portion of the public could make it a taxpayer money allocation issue.

 

 

 

I stand corrected.

 

If it's a taxpayer funding issue, the problem could be easily solved by charging modest rent for the use of the room.

 

Some people get their panties in a knot over the dumbest things. Nobody is being forced to bring their children.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

the problem could be easily solved by charging modest rent for the use of the room.

 

Not if the city is going to deny access to other parts of the library while the event is taking place.  They need to rent the whole building or the other parts need to be open. 

 

For anyone taking the position that it the "right" of the drag queens to conduct the reading...it is also the right for other people to protest, complain to the city and demonstrate in front of the library entrance. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, JinnMartini said:

What is even more repulsive   __if that is even possilble__  are the children parents looking on approvingly !

 

These bastards should have their children taken away from them.

And then castrated and sterilized, to avoid recidivism.

If any children decide to follow these queer pied pipers they take themselves out of the gene pool. If they are one of the unlucky 50% of transgender people who kills themselves, procreation is all the less likely. Think natural selection will take care of this issue in a couple generations. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NeoConvict said:

If any children decide to ...

 

Children ... ... DECIDE  ? ! ? ! ? !

 

Gimmie abreak !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

 

Not if the city is going to deny access to other parts of the library while the event is taking place.  They need to rent the whole building or the other parts need to be open. 

 

For anyone taking the position that it the "right" of the drag queens to conduct the reading...it is also the right for other people to protest, complain to the city and demonstrate in front of the library entrance. 

 

 

 

Reading the story, it looks like the rest of the library will be closed due to the protest, not due to the event itself. 

 

The snowflakes on the right are getting worked up over nothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, JinnMartini said:

 

Children ... ... DECIDE  ? ! ? ! ? !

 

Gimmie abreak !

I support the parents right to make unhealthy choices for their children. The alternative is more government involvement in the raising of children, a notion far more chilling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Olivaw said:

 

Reading the story, it looks like the rest of the library will be closed due to the protest, not due to the event itself. 

 

The snowflakes on the right are getting worked up over nothing. 

 

You left out a word...anticipated.  So the city is going to block access to the public library because they think people will be unhappy.  Seems like two protest are needed...one at the library and one at city hall for letting a segment of the FAW community use public venue while denying access to others at the same venue.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Image result for Drag Queen Story Hour

 

 

I do feel bad for these ladies, and others like them. They probably don't hate anyone. They are just worried about their kids.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, BatteryPowered said:

 

You left out a word...anticipated.  So the city is going to block access to the public library because they think people will be unhappy.  Seems like two protest are needed...one at the library and one at city hall for letting a segment of the FAW community use public venue while denying access to others at the same venue.

 

 

 

How does the word anticipated substantively change the meaning of anything I said? The protest has been planned so it seems sensible for library staff to anticipate it. 

 

The closure is probably inappropriate in the strictest sense but it is a nod to law and order. Allowing protesters inside the library would create a significant risks of physical confrontation. That would probably bring counter protesters. It could get very ugly. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×