Emma Goldman seated.jpg

This rerun of her life on American Experience on PBS the other night was great! 

Way before her time, she was so smart and so exceptional. American exceptional, until she was deported. 

She herself claimed she was wrong and way off base after talking to Lenin. She told Lenin that he needed to push for Free Speech, while the Bolshevik revolution was being played out. Lenin joked, do you know what is actually going on here, what with all the looting and killing, and you want Free Speech???

I kind of feel as though we are kind of in that same situation these days. 

Peace!

We used to be so sullen in our use of words and political thoughts and ideas. But slowly over time the eloquent execution of the colloquial verbiage changed, we, some of us thought for the good of us all, intellectuals would show the way. Somewhere in the orbit of all things past and present and possibly in the future too, is the truth.

Noting nothing is black and white, regarding what is right and what is wrong in this world we all inhabit, we still do have the same constraints we always might have been lucky enough

to properly write down or illustrate, and in many ways we have achieved the necessary steps towards activism that could possibly help to alleviate our collective suffering - yet it's a quandary still of what is the best move, or if there is any movement at all - since fear is the biggest roadblock to change - see the Bolshevik revolution / or collectively trying to go from one extreme to another, which we are constantly reminded of.

I think I am waxing poetic when I say we have a chance, a good one. And this is dependent on a lot of smart folks. Actually, most human beings are smart if given the tools.

But what are the tools? 

I was a good speller once. What good did good spelling do for me? Where does it end, where does it start? 

What about Reparations, why not pay for college for those who work hard, for all those who have been systematically undercut?

Wait, wouldn't that also be something that would be good for society as a whole?

How can you possibly learn about history, what it means, if you continue to repeat? Surely you never want to put other poor folk at opposite ends when it comes down to any growth.

I love learning about people like Frederick Engels and Jean-Paul Sartre as well as John Maynard Keynes, and Amartya Sen. 

I want to learn and grow up in a place like Fishkill, NY https://www.bestplaces.net/economy/city/new_york/fishkill

I like winter, and I like pronounced seasonal changes, as well as good advise.

Peace!

On 5/24/2019 at 11:53 PM, TheOldBarn said:

Actually, most human beings are smart if given the tools.

But what are the tools? 

The tools keep changing as information keeps growing.  As information gets denser it gets harder to make sense of it. It gets harder to learn the tools.

I disagree that most people are smart, whether or not they have tools.  First of all, everyone - and I really mean everyone - is stupid at least some of the time.  The smartest people minimize that but even the smartest people are stupid occasionally.

Some numbers below; since nothing about this is precise, I left out ranges, on purpose:

About 9% have an IQ less than 80, and most people would regard them as having a developmental disability.

Between IQ 80 and 105, that's about 54% of the population. I call them dull normals. This is what most people are like. Others pretend to be like them so they can fit in.

Between IQ 120 and 130, that's about 6.8% of the population.  Not smart enough to excel like those above 140, but not smart enough to know why either.  But certainly smart enough to lie to and bamboozle and use the dull normals. Think about DJT and his minions.

Between IQ 140 and 150, that's about 0.34% of the population.  Not geniuses.  May be excellent civil servants, nurses, engineers.  They can appreciate geniuses, usually.

Between IQ 150 and 160, that's about 0.04% of the population.  Not geniuses, but close.  They can appreciate geniuses.

Above IQ 160: Geniuses. About 0.0032% of the population. (Not me. :rolleyes:)

If you want to reproduce these numbers you can use Excel or a free spreadsheet like OpenOffice Calc. The function is Norm.Dist, with mean = 100 and standard deviation =15, which is the typical model for IQ distribution.

On 6/4/2019 at 10:09 AM, laripu said:

The tools keep changing as information keeps growing.  As information gets denser it gets harder to make sense of it. It gets harder to learn the tools.

I disagree that most people are smart, whether or not they have tools.  First of all, everyone - and I really mean everyone - is stupid at least some of the time.  The smartest people minimize that but even the smartest people are stupid occasionally.

Some numbers below; since nothing about this is precise, I left out ranges, on purpose:

About 9% have an IQ less than 80, and most people would regard them as having a developmental disability.

Between IQ 80 and 105, that's about 54% of the population. I call them dull normals. This is what most people are like. Others pretend to be like them so they can fit in.

Between IQ 120 and 130, that's about 6.8% of the population.  Not smart enough to excel like those above 140, but not smart enough to know why either.  But certainly smart enough to lie to and bamboozle and use the dull normals. Think about DJT and his minions.

Between IQ 140 and 150, that's about 0.34% of the population.  Not geniuses.  May be excellent civil servants, nurses, engineers.  They can appreciate geniuses, usually.

Between IQ 150 and 160, that's about 0.04% of the population.  Not geniuses, but close.  They can appreciate geniuses.

Above IQ 160: Geniuses. About 0.0032% of the population. (Not me. :rolleyes:)

If you want to reproduce these numbers you can use Excel or a free spreadsheet like OpenOffice Calc. The function is Norm.Dist, with mean = 100 and standard deviation =15, which is the typical model for IQ distribution.

Yes, everyone, and I agree when you say everyone, is stupid at least some of the time.

The IQ issue is purely not purposeful just as it is truly difficult to measure, don't forget that there is the emotional side of taking a test. 

But beyond that matter, people do smart things without even knowing it. 

Most are smart - just how smart is another question to consider all together.

Peace!

The reason I thought so much about Emma Goldman was the reason I wonder about a real change that is still possibly in the cards for the US. Emma was way before her time and surely in a lot a ways naive. Change that is true is hard to come by. The Russian Bear didn't become the Russian Bear because of Lenin or Trotsky, it became the Bear because of Stalin. 

People in the US are wrapped up in their freedoms, but at the same time they are immune to the fact that they live in a rigged system that is tilted towards the rich. 

I didn't like Bill Clinton because I think he was part of what I would call neoliberalism. This idea that it's okay to allow rich corporations to run rough shot over the people as long as it brings us cheap Big Television sets and smart phones. 

We just have never been aware of what is going on around the world. America's role. 

This is why I support Elizabeth Warren. Because she says that it's not going to work, none of her policies will work, not without the full backing of the American people. 

It's not Nationalism at all. Retooling, spending the big money in R&D for alternative energy sources, rebuilding a smart energy grid, and a whole host of other things that will indeed create more jobs. The companies can make their money, but they will have to stay here and create jobs. And these jobs will help the rest of the world fight climate change - something that is positive for the world at large.

Doing the right things deserves respect the world over. When you do the right things, the needed things, you also inspire other nations to follow suit. 

That sounds naive. So we sliced Korea artificially in half and then installed a tyrant in South Korea. The Russian's followed suit sponsoring their own despot in the North. 

But we have to do these things. We just do.

Peace!