Sign in to follow this  
drvoke

AOC puts Gilead CEO in the crosshairs

Image result for Ocasio-Cortez confronts CEO for nearly $2K price tag on HIV drug that costs $8 in Australia

This is what you can do if you're not taking 'donations' (bribes) from Big Pharma. You can call those crooks out. Tell me this isn't the type of politician you want. She is fighting for people, not protecting the profit margins of multinational corporations. Earlier this month, Gilead provided the Trump admin. with a gift of 'free' Truvada, hoping that they would get a pass on these hearings. THINK AGAIN!  Not with AOC around.

Ocasio-Cortez confronts CEO for nearly $2K price tag on HIV drug that costs $8 in Australia

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ocasio-cortez-confronts-ceo-for-nearly-dollar2k-price-tag-on-hiv-drug-that-costs-dollar8-in-australia/ar-AABsDP0?ocid=spartanntp

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) confronted a CEO Thursday for pricing a drug designed to reduce the risk of HIV transmission at $8 in Australia but over $1,500 in the U.S.

"You're the CEO of Gilead. Is it true that Gilead made $3 billion in profits from Truvada in 2018?" Ocasio-Cortez asked Gilead CEO Daniel O'Day.

"$3 billion in revenue," he clarified.

"The current list price is $2,000 a month in the United States, correct?" she asked, referring to Truvada.

"It's $1,780 in the United States," O'Day responded.

"Why is it $8 in Australia?" Ocasio-Cortez countered.

"Truvada still has patent protection in the United States and in the rest of the world it is generic," O'Day explained, adding, "It will be generically available in the United States as of September 2020."

"I think it's important here that we notice that we the public, we the people, developed this drug. We paid for this drug, we lead and developed all the patents to create prep and then that patent has been privatized despite the fact that the patent is owned by the public, who refused to enforce it," Ocasio-Cortez said.

"There's no reason this should be $2,000 a month, people are dying because of it and there's no enforceable reason for it."

50 minutes ago, king of the county said:

We developed this drug?   We paid for this drug?   Wtf who is we?

Thats what I am wondering.

2 minutes ago, kfools said:

Voke is smokin the ganja again - big time.

9 hours ago, king of the county said:

We developed this drug?   We paid for this drug?   Wtf who is we?

8 hours ago, kfools said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/people-are-dying-for-no-reason-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-confronts-drug-company-ceo-over-hiv-medication-costing-almost-2-000-a-month-in-the-us-and-only-8-in-australia/ar-AABsLFr?ocid=spartandhp

Truvada was developed through work by Thomas Folks at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as through $50 million in federal grant money to San Franciso-based AIDS researcher Robert Grant. The US government patented the treatment in 2015, but hasn't seen a penny as Gilead has made billions off of it - including $3 billion in global sales last year alone, The Washington Post reported in March.

11 hours ago, drvoke said:

Image result for Ocasio-Cortez confronts CEO for nearly $2K price tag on HIV drug that costs $8 in Australia

This is what you can do if you're not taking 'donations' (bribes) from Big Pharma. You can call those crooks out. Tell me this isn't the type of politician you want. She is fighting for people, not protecting the profit margins of multinational corporations. Earlier this month, Gilead provided the Trump admin. with a gift of 'free' Truvada, hoping that they would get a pass on these hearings. THINK AGAIN!  Not with AOC around.

Ocasio-Cortez confronts CEO for nearly $2K price tag on HIV drug that costs $8 in Australia

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/ocasio-cortez-confronts-ceo-for-nearly-dollar2k-price-tag-on-hiv-drug-that-costs-dollar8-in-australia/ar-AABsDP0?ocid=spartanntp

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-N.Y.) confronted a CEO Thursday for pricing a drug designed to reduce the risk of HIV transmission at $8 in Australia but over $1,500 in the U.S.

"You're the CEO of Gilead. Is it true that Gilead made $3 billion in profits from Truvada in 2018?" Ocasio-Cortez asked Gilead CEO Daniel O'Day.

"The current list price is $2,000 a month in the United States, correct?" she asked, referring to Truvada.

"Truvada still has patent protection in the United States and in the rest of the world it is generic," O'Day explained, adding, "It will be generically available in the United States as of September 2020."

"I think it's important here that we notice that we the public, we the people, developed this drug. We paid for this drug, we lead and developed all the patents to create prep and then that patent has been privatized despite the fact that the patent is owned by the public, who refused to enforce it," Ocasio-Cortez said.

"There's no reason this should be $2,000 a month, people are dying because of it and there's no enforceable reason for it."

Trump already addressed this...AOC is jumping on his band wagon.  

26 minutes ago, drvoke said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/news/people-are-dying-for-no-reason-alexandria-ocasio-cortez-confronts-drug-company-ceo-over-hiv-medication-costing-almost-2-000-a-month-in-the-us-and-only-8-in-australia/ar-AABsLFr?ocid=spartandhp

Truvada was developed through work by Thomas Folks at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) as well as through $50 million in federal grant money to San Franciso-based AIDS researcher Robert Grant. The US government patented the treatment in 2015, but hasn't seen a penny as Gilead has made billions off of it - including $3 billion in global sales last year alone, The Washington Post reported in March.

Hahaha! 

You want to trust the government with our entire healthcare system? With these results?

7 hours ago, kfools said:

Hahaha! 

You want to trust the government with our entire healthcare system? With these results?

It is problematic, but Medicare seems to work. Privatizing healthcare is fundamentally wrong. If you incentivize profit over people, it will always gravitate towards profit. The same goes for privatizing prisons. There should not be profit industries. They should let AOC investigate why this Gilead scam even happened. You'll find dirty politicians taking campaign fund contributions (legal bribes) guaranteed. Few politicians are honest enough to out them and upend the system. She would. She gets her money from suckers like me; she is not beholden to lobbyists yet.

4 hours ago, drvoke said:

It is problematic, but Medicare seems to work. Privatizing healthcare is fundamentally wrong. If you incentivize profit over people, it will always gravitate towards profit. The same goes for privatizing prisons. There should not be profit industries. They should let AOC investigate why this Gilead scam even happened. You'll find dirty politicians taking campaign fund contributions (legal bribes) guaranteed. Few politicians are honest enough to out them and upend the system. She would. She gets her money from suckers like me; she is not beholden to lobbyists yet.

And yet the great mystery

How do you give incentive without profit?

5 hours ago, drvoke said:

It is problematic, but Medicare seems to work. Privatizing healthcare is fundamentally wrong. If you incentivize profit over people, it will always gravitate towards profit

Medicare doesn't work in America because of the burdensome regulations attached.

if you privatize it there will be more competition, more competition better prices, services etc because the bottom line is profit.

If I run a medical clinic and my prices are reasonable and I provide good service my customers are happy and that is good for my bottom line.

When I become a monopoly because of friends in government there is no incentive for me to get better, or to improve my service

The same goes for privatizing prisons. There should not be profit industries.

Im going to agree with you there, prisons should not be in the profit business.

They should let AOC investigate why this Gilead scam even happened. You'll find dirty politicians taking campaign fund contributions (legal bribes) guaranteed. Few politicians are honest enough to out them and upend the system. She would. She gets her money from suckers like me; she is not beholden to lobbyists yet.

and she is under 30 years old where she can pound the pavement, I doubt she will for her re election and I cant see almost 80 year old Nancy Pelosi or any lifelong congress person pounding the pavement raising money the old fashioned way and speaking to real people

If congress knows that lobbyist are the problem why not get rid of them? 

we know the answer to that right?

13 hours ago, kfools said:

Hahaha! 

lol

On 5/16/2019 at 5:50 PM, drvoke said:

Isn't she just a puppet for the justice democrats who won a popularity contest after her brother entered her into a casting call? I don't trust anyone taking instructions from that loud mouth from the young turks.

And where is the proof people are dying because of the price? If people tested themselves and their partners and used protection during ass sex they wouldnt need this, oh and dont share needles. It doesnt treat HIV so its a luxury item.

1 hour ago, kfools said:

And yet the great mystery

How do you give incentive without profit?

By  working for 'the common good"!

And doing what is right!

13 minutes ago, nuckin futz said:

By  working for 'the common good"!

And doing what is right!

The common good? What's that?