TheOldBarn

How do you deal with the problem

First you need to understand the system and its constraints. You can't change the container, because then you would have to change everything, rewrite all the, say, 510K submissions that would probably dismantle your entire business plan.

Or, you could think out of the box. You could stop selling a certain size, And decide to go small. 

HOW do you deal with a problem? 

Ask someone who worked all their life at your company. Ask them why they still work there. The cash cow, the product life cycle. Lets pretend you went to business school, and yeah, Harvard, or Yale, 

or Trumps favorite name sake, the Wharton school, and then were given the reigns.

Do you diversify and if so, by just how much?

What company did you buy last week, does your corporate ideology apply to what they do?

Surely it must. Surely, you could benchmark all the salaries paid by the companies you buy. Since you are an international corporation, Shirley, you must know a thing or two about economic disparity in that country, one would hope

How do you deal with a problem. Who put you in charge (Shirley), who do you hire to help you figure things out so that the matter will be taken care of immediately before things get out of hand?

What about logistics, do your marketing heads all around the world speak each and everyday, do they understand the regulatory constraints, do they, do they?

Do you have a team of legal experts, and people with know how, who can be counted on?

I think it is wise to go into accounting, you should be an accountant. Finance is too hard. Finance is crazy, loony tunes. Can you write, instead of being a god darn poet, perhaps you should be a marketing wiz, but don't try to sell, you can't sell poop, to China, or can you, 

Can you sell poop to China?

And I am talking about re-populating the human microbiome here. 

Peace!

Shipping from point A to point B, from the US, to Korea, is fun. What, do you have warehouses, or distributors, who know where everything you make goes, all the customs, the box and the crate, and the container filled with liquid nitrogen, and what if you need to recall

a product? You got a solid Regulatory chief? 

Do they know all the regulations and also have a qualified team? 

Nip it in the bud. You got to be able to Nip it in the bud.

They already got the word out in France, there is a problem with a certain lot of reagent, and it is troubling since they don't have a clue whether or not it could affect someones health.

That's what people get paid to do. Qualified people we do need. Using the best software, and algorithms, and yes, they are not robots. People you can employ who can think, really relate

to the dissatisfied customer and document everything that disgruntled them. They are not your enemy, they are your very  pulse.

Oh how effusive, all these qualified people who work for you can be. 

Because what they do is so important.

To them.

Peace!

2 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

Shipping from point A to point B, from the US, to Korea, is fun.

Sometimes. Not always.

The company I work for shipped a large technological thing to South Korea in 1998. They wanted to take responsibility for shipping all the way to the site, but the Koreans said no: ship it to the port, and we'll truck it to the site.

They knew the height of the enormous rectangular crate. They knew the height of the truck bed. They knew the clearance under the bridge. Should have been easy, right?

But the underpass entrance under the bridge wasn't exactly rectangular. The upper corners had a diagonal. It would be easier with a picture... kind of like the one below, but much bigger, and with a bigger diagonal.

Anyway the crate impacted and the object inside suffered about $2 million in damage. The company I worked for did the repair, because if Korea hired a different one, it voided the warranty.

TownTrails.jpg

2 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

everybody knows this. we all confront catastrophe every day.

literally.

And in the end, catastrophe always wins.

3 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

First you need to understand the system and its constraints.

Yup!

Even if it's a truck under a bridge.

Not completely sure what you are asking here.

Are you wondering how other people psychologically deal with the daily issues,

or,

how you manage things in a Fox "conservative" dominated world.

Personally, I gave up.

After about 25 years in various management roles, I was "let go" for refusing to move operations to Mexico or China.

So,

I decided to be a consultant.

After an "arduous" 2 week search, I landed my first client, and spent another 25 or so years working for the corporations, for an hourly fee.

The biggest advantage, for me, at least, was that I got to give my honest opinion,

but I didn't feel responsible, if the client decided to screw the company instead.

And,

even though one of my other motivations was that I didn't want to work as much overtime anymore,

you know, free overtime, on salary,

I probably wound up working more overtime.

But,

I got paid for it.

On 5/5/2019 at 6:19 AM, laripu said:

Sometimes. Not always.

The company I work for shipped a large technological thing to South Korea in 1998. They wanted to take responsibility for shipping all the way to the site, but the Koreans said no: ship it to the port, and we'll truck it to the site.

They knew the height of the enormous rectangular crate. They knew the height of the truck bed. They knew the clearance under the bridge. Should have been easy, right?

But the underpass entrance under the bridge wasn't exactly rectangular. The upper corners had a diagonal. It would be easier with a picture... kind of like the one below, but much bigger, and with a bigger diagonal.

Anyway the crate impacted and the object inside suffered about $2 million in damage. The company I worked for did the repair, because if Korea hired a different one, it voided the warranty.

TownTrails.jpg

And in the end, catastrophe always wins.

I think you get the juice behind my post, it's a diamond shaped yield sign with a gravel road leading towards a tunnel, and we know we got to protect the tunnel from the onslaught of a flood, but we ain't exactly sure why.

On 5/5/2019 at 9:48 AM, peter45 said:

Not completely sure what you are asking here.

Are you wondering how other people psychologically deal with the daily issues,

or,

how you manage things in a Fox "conservative" dominated world.

Personally, I gave up.

After about 25 years in various management roles, I was "let go" for refusing to move operations to Mexico or China.

So,

I decided to be a consultant.

After an "arduous" 2 week search, I landed my first client, and spent another 25 or so years working for the corporations, for an hourly fee.

The biggest advantage, for me, at least, was that I got to give my honest opinion,

but I didn't feel responsible, if the client decided to screw the company instead.

And,

even though one of my other motivations was that I didn't want to work as much overtime anymore,

you know, free overtime, on salary,

I probably wound up working more overtime.

But,

I got paid for it.

Excellent questions.

I myself spent a long time working at a couple of corporations. I then went to a small company where I found myself in management, before it was sold off. 

And then, back again to the big corp where one learns new tricks. They buy companies, get bigger, but diversification I learned in business school is tricky business.

Sometimes it doesn't matter how connected you are with your counterparts around the world. It just doesn't matter, if the size of the container needs to be changed,

or, whether it's right or if it's wrong. Maybe you could only sell a smaller sized bottle, that you already sell, some dumb kid in me thought because the people in Quality 

don't know what the heck to do, and the people working in Regulatory just never seem to be sure.

Peace!

Marketing people are mostly sales people, they sell, and don't know anything about making something to fill a need. They don't understand anything about planning, purchasing all the required raw materials, the constraints on the raw material markets, quality, safety stocks, how to hire the best people, how to retain the best people, etc...

It's a nice restaurant, you got to work there pretending that it's as important as your own home. Just what does that mean to some of the young kids who came up in a dirty house? 

But you got to make people hope to raise the bar and somehow, give a darn. 

And I guess that's not easy. 

I was talking about 510K approved immunoassay's that are sold in 500 mL bottles that break during shipping all the time. The problem after seeing a few pictures is easy to resolve. 

The bottle is a cheap, plastic, hard and thin, too big. You need to be a plastic expert, to understand. All plastic is good. All plastic if you google HDPE, has its use. They all say. 

Can we get it together, can we all stand side by side. Can we make it last and sell it cheaper and ship it all around the world at a big discount that everybody likes.

If you are in the business you know it comes down to how many samples can you test from the size of the bottle that you sell and ship. 

If you find that the bottle type breaks you are left with this horrible Quality issue. If we change the bottle type then we have to change the 510K submissions regarding a whole host of IVDP assays. Or, you could sell smaller 100 mL bottles that you already sell that don't break as easily. 

The guy in shipping said.

Peace!

9 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

I think you get the juice behind my post, it's a diamond shaped yield sign with a gravel road leading towards a tunnel, and we know we got to protect the tunnel from the onslaught of a flood, but we ain't exactly sure why.

I think I got the gist of your post.

But truthfully, I didn't even notice the yield sign in the picture. It was just a picture I found on line to illustrate the diagonal in the upper corners of the tunnel.

Also truthfully, there's a lot of stuff you write that I don't understand. I take it as being poetic, and that my lack of understanding is my deficiency. I'm probably overly literal, despite the fact that I dabble in poetry.

On 5/12/2019 at 8:37 AM, laripu said:

I think I got the gist of your post.

But truthfully, I didn't even notice the yield sign in the picture. It was just a picture I found on line to illustrate the diagonal in the upper corners of the tunnel.

Also truthfully, there's a lot of stuff you write that I don't understand. I take it as being poetic, and that my lack of understanding is my deficiency. I'm probably overly literal, despite the fact that I dabble in poetry.

you know, sometimes, actually mostly, I do wax poetic in a sense. It certainly is not straight-forward. The problem sometimes cannot be well defined politically enough. Huh???

So anyway, we still have systemic problems that have been around all my life. Stuff nobody has really defined well enough, or more to the point outlined the problem and how to deal with said problem. But it's not black and white. 

Ha, wouldn't you like a politician that talks like I do? No, I know the answer is, No you would not. 

There are too many homeless people - the cities need to deal with that. 

College is even more expensive than it ever was. We test kids to death from grade K-12, but for the most part our educational system has gotten worse and not better.

When you talk about medicare for all in a big way - somehow, rate increases from private health insurance corps don't go up as fast. After you half-way institute the ACA, the rate increases flattened out a bit. 

It's a Macro, view, fight, battle, that is slow. But we have to comprehend this world economy, and who makes out and whether or not it truly makes sense for all. 

Efficiency works in Denmark, in Finland. I'm just throwing stuff out there like the idiot in the room who sometimes throws off a good spark.

And btw, that sign is magnificent!

Peace!

10 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

So anyway, we still have systemic problems that have been around all my life.

And the problems have probably gotten worse. Not all of them, but surely some of them.

I remember when I was a young teen, teenage pregnancy was a really big problem. But few teens got pregnant. We got education about birth control in grade 11 and junior college. (Because it was Canada, and therefore more liberal even in the early 70s. We also had legal abortion, eventually. Look up the name Morgentaler. Not one girl in my school years got pregnant. But most of them were having sex like... like teenagers.) Then the stigma came off of teen pregnancy, and it seems that there are so many more teenage girls getting pregnant. To me, it looks like the attempt to fix a problem by providing help and removing stigma, just increased the frequency of the problem.

I think what I'm saying is that it's better to prevent a difficult situation from happening, and to make tools available to stop it from happening, than to remove stigma and mitigate once the bad situation has occurred.

But I have a cold, and my head is stuffed with feathers. Maybe none of that makes sense. I'm sitting in Trudeau Airport in Montreal waiting to board a flight, short layover in DC, then home to Tampa. My wife says "Do you miss the free sauna?" Yes. Yes, I do. 🌞