TheOldBarn

Joe Biden is in the race

we have decided. Or we have not decided. We are waiting for a new president, or we are not waiting for a new president. what is the president, what does a president do with his or her day?

how long will it take to make things better, how long will it take for everything to seem as though we are on the right path, and then, how long will it take until we find ourselves traveling down this very same road?

This is why I thought of Captain Beefheart this night. It's not just where you are going but also where you have been. There are problems that they say we as citizens are not qualified enough to speak about. The decisions made about public school systems affect the children now, all their lives. The decisions made about our seniors, or about healthcare, affect millions of people right now. 

If you have a house that is worth some money, you have equity. Someone else in a different region could not afford your home. But they don't have the opportunity for that higher paying job that you have. But where you live a lot of people work two or three jobs just to survive. 

That is America, that is the US, and that is America. America is torn apart from itself. It's lost it's perspective. It's not the EU. Resource just doesn't matter here.

So I was at this concert at Shoreline once. This amphitheater in Mountain View that used to be vacant land. I watched them build it when I worked at a biotech firm, and then they build a golf course near by it. I remember Adobe, and I remember the some of the changes that just happened down highway 101. I came from Michigan in the 1980's and I saw when the government of California went broke. A saw change, yes I did. But I always did see some of the stuff that just never ever made any sense to a large group of folks who were born here.

I guess it all depended, if you were lucky enough to have a skill writing code, or maybe you were a gifted legal mind, or possibly someone like me who came along just at the right time.

It would be nice just to be middle class someday I used to think. And now I am.  So what is that like? I am sure a lot of people who live here would love to know. 

Neil Young put this concert together. He was raised in a small rural town in Ontario.

This venue is about people, and about character where the poets move about against the stars, this is about life, the one and only that cannot be disguised.

So you decide, with all you know, all that you have been given, it's up to you!

Peace!

I guess I am talking about one gigantic gulf. See I mixed the word golf with a land body interfacing the ocean called a gulf. The deepest known trench on the Earth is the Mariana Trench near the Mariana Islands in the Pacific ocean. This I learned in high school, selective learning I guess it seemed to me to be important to know. 

Like Kavanaugh, I too like beer, and I love deer, to me deer are serene animals who forage, and I know that  in the winter months it is hard for them to get by. I remember when I was just a kid hanging out in an old town with hunters how they would get drunk in the night, while by day, they dressed in camouflage clothes while the wind blew, knowing the wind could spook their prey. It's an analogy, I thought. It was cold in the winter, these old guys would have heart attacks, and in the small towns where hunters gathered they had prostitutes too who would venture north from Detroit, to these very small little bars, they would go back to the little trailers where the big time hunters staid, and they would brave the winter because that was where the money was. 

I'm from Michigan, I remember a lot of things... About the US. You know, the stories by word of mouth mean something to a small kid. I know that. The stories by word of mouth mean something. And this is now. Stories shape the world. I see the gulf. 

I think Facebook needs to be broken up and here's a article that tells you why.

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/blog/the-antitrust-case-against-facebook-you-need-to-know-about

The founder of the United States Justice Department was Ulysses S. Grant, and it was founded in 1870.

Rod Rosenstein said recently, that a lot of people say they think they know stuff, but they don't have a qualified factual basis about the truth, and that is a problem.

Indeed, that is a problem, with a heck of a lot of stuff. 

Stuff. Again, Captain Beefheart. 

A broken skyline, which way to heaven, which way to forgiveness...  Which way is the Adam Smith Way, for Capitalism to uncover?

This is what Noam Chomsky denotes about the true definition of conservatism. 

https://www.ineteconomics.org/perspectives/videos/teaching-economics-the-adam-smith-way

How do you go from here to there? I know someone who is 67 years old and still keeps on working because her youngest daughter is working her way through her second year in medical residency making 55 K, living in Florida, and using most of her money to catch up with paying down her medical school loans. She'll make money down the road, doctors make a lot of money eventually. But, medical bills are high and there aren't enough doctors. A lot of hopeful students utilize American University, where they go on a curriculum that takes them off shore, far away from home to save a buck, so maybe they can be primary care physicians some day. 

I don't know who makes the world as it is. I don't know why I stroll by some neighborhoods where there are cars and cars alongside streets that all apartment buildings where people live.

You would think public transit would make more sense.

You would think perhaps a bit more about resource when you learn that you can no longer ship your plastic waste to a foreign country, 

You would think possibly about what bureau of labor statistic measures, and why.

And possibly you would be a citizen from the 15th district in California 

From the US census in 2010 the answer is only 708, 508, wait what. 708,508/ 37,167,000 people living in the United States,

We are talking about almost 0.22 percent of the populace with a voice!!!

That is on certain work days only, not counting weekdays. Good luck!

Peace!

Tell me what it feels like to be middle class. 

Are you feeling good when they got enough dope

to make us all feel proud. 

I want people to listen but sometimes I wonder if that makes any difference

since they come from some other place else where they don't know

just what it's like here where I now  live.

Peace!

Oh, I am a registered Independent Voter, you betcha!!!

the dark horse in the race, with one single vote.

never to be mentioned, this I truly do know.

ARP, got my card ten years ago, I laughed, funny ha ha

My daughter is ridiculously smart, she is sixteen and in her second year at college

studying mathematics, and she suffers from depression, and I know what it's like

to sit in an emergency ward for 2 days because nobody knows how to deal with that.

Yeah, I sat through 48 hours in an emergency ward, with my own daughter whom I love, 

but what really riled me was what goes on in an emergency ward.

In 2 days the number of indigents, some drunks, some suffering from extreme poverty, 

with medical maladies that required immediate attention was, can I say comical. 

I mean, you see homeless people on the streets, but somehow, it does't register in 

your mind that these people do get sick, really sick.

And the way these hospitals operate, what it takes to administer basic care

at a basic level, because, the hospital is there to make money, the bottom line

is to make money, money, the qualified physician patted me on the back, 

you are a responsible dad, I hope the best for you and your daughter,

later on I got the bill  $38,000 for waiting around until they could get her

into a psychiatric care facility, and I should say I have excellent health insurance

so we only paid three thousand out of pocket. 

They don't pay that much out of pocket when they are poor, however, nor could

they if they had to, because the answer is, no the could never.

I work in biotech. I started working in the early 1980's just after school from UofM

where I came from. 

When I was eighteen I worked in animal research while going to school

I worked with resident surgeons in Research on a whole host of new techniques that today

every day procedures. 

I am embarrassed by a lot of stuff. The use of PCR, is more than lacking, there is no universal strategy 

just like there is no universal use of ECMO, or Flow cytometry.

I wish were Jason's who would rise up to deal with everyday stuff that people need.

The Jason's, where are the Jason's, when it comes to solving economic possibilities?

Hello smart people, Hello smart people from where ever...

The Jason's... oh come on... what, you been reading up on smart people?

I believe that you'll say something about the topic you started, eventually. Maybe you're just Biden your time.

10 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

If you have a house that is worth some money, you have equity. Someone else in a different region could not afford your home. But they don't have the opportunity for that higher paying job that you have. But where you live a lot of people work two or three jobs just to survive. 

That's true.

I can't answer for their decisions, but I can answer for mine.

First of all, I never had kids, so that's an expense I never had. My wife had two sons from a previous marriage, now grown, and some money went to one of them, but it's trivial compared what's spent by people raising a child. So that's good luck, if you think only of money, and bad luck, if you think only of family. (Neither of those grown sons talk to us, so it is what it is.)

I had the good luck to be educated in Canada, where university was incredibly cheap, so no student debt.

When my mother died, and my mother in law died, they left a little money. We didn't but ourselves any luxury. We invested in a house we rent out, and paid off our mortgage.

My job is a good one, and I've worked for the same company since 1997, when I moved to the United States. It provides good health insurance, which is important because in 2000 my wife had breast cancer, bilateral mastectomies, and chemo. After the induced chemo-brain she didn't want to work, and I wouldn't ask her to.

We don't wear jewelry. We didn't and don't drive luxury cars, we don't buy expensive clothing and the last time we went on vacation was a road trip to Washington DC in 2007, the year after we became naturalized citizens. I've stuffed my 401k to the max since 1997, because there is no-one to take care of us when we're old, so I'll have to pay strangers to wipe the drool from my chin.

But I guess I'm doing better than most.

Biden seems to understand what working families go through. But I think his time has past. I'll vote for someone else in the primaries, maybe Buttigieg, because I like the way he talks. But I'll vote for the Democratic nominee in the general election, no matter who it is.

If Biden becomes our candidate, I will vote for him.  As president, there isn't a shadow of a doubt he would be a towering improvement over what we have now. 

That said, he is carrying a twentieth century voting record into the twenty first.  He's has a long record of supporting the "war on drugs".  He voted to let the states overturn Roe V Wade.  And most recently, he campaigned for Michigan Republican, Fred Upton.  I do not support Biden in the primaries.

On 4/28/2019 at 7:12 AM, laripu said:

I believe that you'll say something about the topic you started, eventually. Maybe you're just Biden your time.

That's true.

I can't answer for their decisions, but I can answer for mine.

First of all, I never had kids, so that's an expense I never had. My wife had two sons from a previous marriage, now grown, and some money went to one of them, but it's trivial compared what's spent by people raising a child. So that's good luck, if you think only of money, and bad luck, if you think only of family. (Neither of those grown sons talk to us, so it is what it is.)

I had the good luck to be educated in Canada, where university was incredibly cheap, so no student debt.

When my mother died, and my mother in law died, they left a little money. We didn't but ourselves any luxury. We invested in a house we rent out, and paid off our mortgage.

My job is a good one, and I've worked for the same company since 1997, when I moved to the United States. It provides good health insurance, which is important because in 2000 my wife had breast cancer, bilateral mastectomies, and chemo. After the induced chemo-brain she didn't want to work, and I wouldn't ask her to.

We don't wear jewelry. We didn't and don't drive luxury cars, we don't buy expensive clothing and the last time we went on vacation was a road trip to Washington DC in 2007, the year after we became naturalized citizens. I've stuffed my 401k to the max since 1997, because there is no-one to take care of us when we're old, so I'll have to pay strangers to wipe the drool from my chin.

But I guess I'm doing better than most.

Biden seems to understand what working families go through. But I think his time has past. I'll vote for someone else in the primaries, maybe Buttigieg, because I like the way he talks. But I'll vote for the Democratic nominee in the general election, no matter who it is.

Fair appraisal of what I wrote. It was not meant to be to the point, or meant to suss out a resolve, and yet you might seem to infer that Biden is not the guy I would prefer to win the nod. 

I mean, come on, Captain Beefheart. I grew up with listening to him and especially Frank Zappa. It tweaks ones way of thinking, to say the very least. 

So you are raised up in an all white lower middle class place during the 1960's and you might have every reason to be a certain way. Am I more fair than the next fellow, am I more

orthodox altruistic? Biden my time? Yes, Biden is a great guy! I like him, always have.

But no, I wouldn't vote for him in the primary. I would of course vote for him in the general if he won the primary. It's a zigzag type of pattern we the voters have to go through every four years. But like I've always said, it's the congress that should matter.

And yes, that's what I think Captain Beefheart clearly sings about in Zig Zag Wondere, but I couldn't find that one single on Youtube so I posted Trout Mask Replica. It makes no sense, but it was released in 1969 when a host of other things also did not.

I like how you state that you are doing better than most. I would say that too. I would have said that when I lived in an apartment with three friends and struggled to get by when I was a young person. I would have said the same when I was a kid even though I came from what was below a lower class single mother family. A lot of people were and still are a lot worse off.

Peace!

Zig Zag Wanderer
Zig zag zig zag wanderer (rep.)
You can huff, you can puff
never know what I have found
You can zig you can zag
Whoa I'm gonna stay gonna stay around (rep.)
You can jump you can holler
Never lose what I have found
heaven's free 'cept for a dollar
you can zig you can zag
Whoa I'm gonna stay around gonna stay around
Zigzag wanderer had a zigzag child
Zigzag traveller for the mercy mile
.......(found his strength in?) and nature scene 
(Chris Viard suggests "Found my Queen and Nature Scene")
Twist his face (quenched his thirst) where he never been 
Zig zag wanderer (rep.)
You can dance you can prance 
freeze those timbers drop some beans
Hide my shield throw away my lance
Zig zag child mercy mile
zig zag dreams zig zag dreams zig zag dreams....
Songwriters: Don Van Vliet / Herb Bermann

Peace!
why did I underline the songwriters here? It was released in 1967. Why here it is.

I'll vote for him in the general, but I really hope he doesn't win the primaries.  He's way too far rightwing. Defended Dick Cheney, supported a Republican running for office, and generally is on the wrong side of a lot of issues.  Better than Trump?  Sure.  My pitbulls would be better than Trump, but I wouldn't vote for them in the primary either.

Oh and (sorry for the doublepost) let's not forget he's against Medicare For All.  Why?  "It lets Employers off the hook!"  Which makes... absolutely no sense.  Makes it really hard to support him.

11 hours ago, Cecelia said:

Oh and (sorry for the doublepost) let's not forget he's against Medicare For All.  Why?  "It lets Employers off the hook!"  Which makes... absolutely no sense.  Makes it really hard to support him.

I completely agree with you here. I know moving towards single payer is not an easy feat but if implemented it would save money and cover all. We need to reduce the inputs to the high cost in constructive ways.  

If a reliable group of folks worked towards this end it could be done. The person we elect needs to push for it hard and hopefully at the very least we can get a gradual transition where we lower the Medicare age a few years and also do something about the high cost of pharmaceuticals. Take the profit out of drug discovery as much as possible. Reduce patent rights, or possibly spend the money up front through the NIH. 

All we have gotten year after year thus far is - it's too hard, the corporations rule the roost and will fight back. This is why Congressional Oversight is so imperative. We need experts who are not tied to big business coming before the US Congress to educate the American People. All the people who live in this country, where ever they live are impacted by a horrible system. It can't be a Red State/ Blue State thing. 

Sure, I would vote Biden if he won the primary. But I sure hope we are all made more aware of the issues someday soon!

Peace!

On 5/11/2019 at 9:41 AM, Cecelia said:

Why?...

Daniel Hilferty, a member of the Biden 2020 host committee, is the CEO of Independence Blue Cross. He is on the board of America’s Health Insurance Plans, the trade association working to defeat the progressive push for Medicare for All. In national politics, Hilftery has exclusively donated to Republicans. The health insurance executive gave $5,000 to Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., along with smaller donations to other congressional Republicans.

Biden launched his presidential bid with a pledge to reject registered, federal lobbyist cash.

To sidestep his pledge, the lobbyists attending Biden's fundraisers are either unregistered or registered with state entities, not the federal system.

“It costs a great deal of money to run. You have to go to those people who have money. And they always want something.”  - J. Biden, 1974