laripu

Once again, ignorance wins

https://www.npr.org/2019/04/25/717225118/after-pentagon-ends-contract-top-secret-scientists-group-vows-to-carry-on

If you have top scientists, with security clearances, providing information to the military and intelligence agencies .... Then FFS, listen to them !!!

Instead they're being defunded.

There's going to have to be a lot of repair and reconstructing, when this administration is finally gone.

The US military is fortunate to have an elite, scientific group like The Jasons at its disposal.  To defund it would be a scandalous mistake.  It appears the Pentagon is shooting itself in the foot.  Fortunately The National Nuclear Security Administration has agreed to continue funding them.  And, according to the article, there are several other government agencies which have expressed interest.  It wouldn't be surprising if the Trump Administration stepped in and prevented the Jasons from functioning by ordering all government departments to boycott them.

This does seem like an odd way to save money.  This article (Science.org) says the contract that was allowed to expire only cost up to $45 million over 5 years.  That's not much.  

For now, it looks like the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) will pick up Jason's funding until January.  Maybe they'll find a new long-term sponsor.  

4 hours ago, Renegade said:

This does seem like an odd way to save money.

It's not about saving money. It's about mediocre people not wanting very smart people to rain on their parade. From the link in the original post:

But Aftergood sees another reason for the end of the relationship. He says that the Jasons are a blunt bunch. If they think an idea is dumb or won't work, they aren't afraid to say so.

"They were offering the opposite of cheerleading," he says. "And DOD decided that maybe they didn't want to pay for that any longer."

And there's at least one disastrous precedent. This is appalling to me and ought to be appalling to everyone:

In 2002 there was a war simulation run by the Pentagon. A very smart marine general, Lieutenant General Paul K. Van Riper, running simulated red forces (i.e. enemy) figured out how to sink a large portion of the blue forces fleet and cause about 20,000 simulated deaths. Instead of figuring out how to protect against such a threat, they restarted the simulation and forbade Riper from using creative tactics. They set up the simulation to guarantee a blue victory, wasting a lot of money ... but letting the mediocre brass revel in a stupid fake victory.

That has bugged me since it happened. Things are even worse now.

Qualified topic experts need not apply, or it sounds like. But it could be about something else. Where you live and what pentagon spending appropriations mean to where you live. It's not long-term, or even short-term decisions that are the most significant, it might possibly be what the policy decision makers have already decided upon regarding their own bottom line.

The bottom line, could it be a revenue stream? You know that gravy train which is a bonafide way to get re-elected and then later on become a lobbyist.

I doubt that the Jason Group ever had much power. They were just this qualified group you needed in case of emergency. In the case of Vietnam, winning that war in the first place was a lie.

In the case of the cold war, winning that war in the first place was also a big lie. 

You just sit yourself down and hear the pentagon speak, and it's all strategic, it's all what could happen, it's linear algebraic, and all game theory. That is all it is. There's no history about the region, the people who live in the area, the notion that rebellion in a foreign land does not always seem to depend on the enemy of my enemy strategy. What happened to doing what is right, oh, oh that sounds so sophomoric and weak. You wake up boy, don't you know they are all out to get us. 

Now they love us more for all that we did. 

Peace!

14 hours ago, laripu said:

It's not about saving money. It's about mediocre people not wanting very smart people to rain on their parade. From the link in the original post:

And there's at least one disastrous precedent. This is appalling to me and ought to be appalling to everyone:

In 2002 there was a war simulation run by the Pentagon. A very smart marine general, Lieutenant General Paul K. Van Riper, running simulated red forces (i.e. enemy) figured out how to sink a large portion of the blue forces fleet and cause about 20,000 simulated deaths. Instead of figuring out how to protect against such a threat, they restarted the simulation and forbade Riper from using creative tactics. They set up the simulation to guarantee a blue victory, wasting a lot of money ... but letting the mediocre brass revel in a stupid fake victory.

That has bugged me since it happened. Things are even worse now.

Hi Larapu, 

You read a few articles about the Jason's, and you think what? 

Are you a Jason, are you living adjacent to a Jason?

I think it's funny how you read an article that someone published and just go off co-sponsoring the Jason's. 

You are bugged by something you think you learned from a news article? 

Do you know about the simulated algorithm that was utilized in 2002, what it dealt with, or about the ongoing simulations that there just are not enough 

Jason's to intercede onto in their spare time during their free time outside their teachings and research at their given universities?

Myths, just like the myths of the leftist Arab, perhaps?

How many points, how many, before you know is a good question. 

What kind of data, data is different, different data depending on what you are trying 

to determine.

If you were a physics major,

conservation of angular momentum in elastic and inelastic rotational collision,

would that not be something the Jason's would be interested in, and if they 

were, in what context?

Arab leftist. Israeli Conservative. 

Geopolitician

Renegade

Little Johnny

all the exploratory

colors 

in a plain drawing of

Sunshine

Peace!

Who are we, they just don't ever seem to know

I woke to the sun
put my life into a way
to make a better land
for all to have
They could share it the best
way they saw fit, 
I would just hope they shared
what they got

but it just was never as easy 
as all that

I saw people more than crazy
walking down city streets, 
they clearly suffered from mental
disorders, and nobody stepped
up to help them

They just watched
Just like leaders who ruled 
countries and brought all their people
down, 

Tyrants, hungry for power, 
pills and more pills

until there were enough people 
who were willing enough to look
away from what they saw

the law and the constitution 
had nothing to do with them
since they were proficient enough
to survive, or at least they thought

it was,, worth doing nothing
about just so they could
go on with what they thought
they had

So I went out to the coast, 
with the few in my family that
would be willing to go

even though I missed the 
the land, it/'/s open air
and all the animals that 
inhabited that special 
place

I was indigenous
brown, they said born
to run, like a dog

Yet, lacking 
the air beside the 
ocean when the breeze
brushes against the water

making waves, 
Sedimentary, Igneous, and 
metamorphic

all I can think to do is
remember 

in confidence to you

who ever you are.

your life means something.

I think you should know.

before you go off to study physics.

Peace!

6 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

Hi Larapu,

5 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

you laripu

spread contept.

Apparently you Laripue do not know crap!

Peace!

First, are you ok?

Secondly, nah, I spread cream cheese on bagels.

Thirdly, peace to you too.

6 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

Do you know about the simulated algorithm that was utilized in 2002, what it dealt with, 

Yes, I know about it. It isn't an algorithm, which implies a smaller thing than it actually is. It's a huge software framework, lots of modeling.

What have you got against my bringing up General Riper and the Millennium Challenge? Were you for it? Against it? What?

Why are you in such a snit?

My beef with the Millennium Challenge is that if you do an expensive experiment like that, you should do it to learn something. General Riper showed something from which they could have learned, by re-running the simulation to figure out how to defend against those tactics. It became an expensive lost opportunity. They did prove that such a distributed simulation was possible, but they could have learned much more.

10 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

you laripu

spread contept.

Apparently you Laripue do not know crap!

Peace!

If you disagree, why not put forth an argument instead of a personal attack?  This is certainly a gross overreaction;  And not like you at all, OldBarn. 

2 hours ago, bludog said:

If you disagree, why not put forth an argument instead of a personal attack?  This is certainly a gross overreaction;  And not like you at all, OldBarn. 

Let's be kind. I've also written weird stuff after a couple of drinks. We're all good people here. (Because the bad ones you banish, for which I'm grateful.)

Maybe Barney meant well. Based on everything I've read from him, I think so.

For the record, I don't know much about the Jasons, but I do know quite a bit about some of the things involved in the Millennium Challenge.

1 hour ago, laripu said:

Let's be kind. I've also written weird stuff after a couple of drinks. We're all good people here

Yes;  Yes;  And yes.

On 4/28/2019 at 1:02 PM, laripu said:

Let's be kind. I've also written weird stuff after a couple of drinks. We're all good people here. (Because the bad ones you banish, for which I'm grateful.)

Maybe Barney meant well. Based on everything I've read from him, I think so.

For the record, I don't know much about the Jasons, but I do know quite a bit about some of the things involved in the Millennium Challenge.

I apologize. It was because of the Arab leftist post you posted. It bothered me. Just recently more bombs were lobbed into Israel from Gaza - horrid, criminal, and yes, foolish. 

Anyway, I went the wrong way with my comments big time and I need to apologize because it was wrong. And I'm sorry. 

The issue with the secret scientist bothered me a bit, but then I thought about why. I like science and I respect scientist, but what bothered me was the neglect in understanding people who live in other countries. It was a news story gathered regarding how Trump and the Republican party operates or conducts itself chiefly. It helps to be smart and use smart scientist to try to solve mathematical problems, and it's cheap. But I sometimes wonder about the reasons, a lot. 

Anyway, no excuse. I got mad and knew I didn't know who I was mad at or exactly why. 

Can't blame the beer. But it did not help in anyway. 

You on the other hand Laripu were extremely kind and took the high road. I didn't deserve it, but you did so anyway. 

So thanks man!

Peace!

8 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

Anyway, I went the wrong way with my comments big time and I need to apologize because it was wrong. And I'm sorry.

It takes a good person to apologize. There are no hard feelings, and thank you.

1 minute ago, laripu said:

It takes a good person to apologize. There are no hard feelings, and thank you.

thank you for accepting my apology. I meant it. I am sorry.

Peace!