bludog

The Intercept_A Message From The Future

THE INTERCEPT: What if we actually pulled off a Green New Deal? What would the future look like? The Intercept presents a film narrated by Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and illustrated by Molly Crabapple.

Set a couple of decades from now, the film is a flat-out rejection of the idea that a dystopian future is a forgone conclusion. Instead, it offers a thought experiment: What if we decided not to drive off the climate cliff? What if we chose to radically change course and save both our habitat and ourselves?

We realized that the biggest obstacle to the kind of transformative change the Green New Deal envisions is overcoming the skepticism that humanity could ever pull off something at this scale and speed. That’s the message we’ve been hearing from the “serious” center for four months straight: that it’s too big, too ambitious, that our Twitter-addled brains are incapable of it, and that we are destined to just watch walruses fall to their deaths on Netflix until it’s too late.

This film flips the script. It’s about how, in the nick of time, a critical mass of humanity in the largest economy on earth came to believe that we were actually worth saving. Because, as Ocasio-Cortez says in the film, our future has not been written yet and “we can be whatever we have the courage to see.”

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2019/04/17/the_intercept_a_message_from_the_future_with_alexandria_ocasio-cortez.html

I like a non-dystopian vision for the future.  I'm tired of every movie and book treating the future like Road Warrior.  I think we can and will do better than that.

The sad part for me is that the US only accounts for somewhere between 10 and 15 percent of the world's CO2 emissions.  So, even if the USA became miraculously and completely carbon-neutral overnight, it would barely affect the climate's trajectory.   

if we allied with europe and only bought from countries that took part

paris climate accord seemed like it could of went better

On 4/21/2019 at 6:43 AM, Renegade said:

I like a non-dystopian vision for the future.  I'm tired of every movie and book treating the future like Road Warrior.  I think we can and will do better than that.

Dystopian visions of the future are a dime a dozen. Some are great fictional classics.  The Road Warrior being one of them.   A few others in print and film, that come to mind:  Terminator 1 & 2 (Among my favs)  ... Ender's Game ...  Fahrenheit 451 ...  12 Monkeys (I loved that one) ...  Prometheus (Another fav)  Blade Runner ...  Brazil ...  City of Lost Children ...  The Hunger Games and probably hundreds of others.  George Orwell's 1984 has already been exceed by reality, lo these 35 years later.  Although I enjoy this genre of Science Fiction, we need a more positive, less speculative vision of the future from genuine leaders.

IMO, the abundance of these pessimistic visions of the future, and the paucity of positive ones,  reflects most people's belief in the inevitability of decay and disaster for humankind;  Along with a paradoxical conviction that humans will always be around, no matter what;  Even though the fossil record suggests otherwise.  A belief that, however flawed, we are fundamentally more enduring than all life which has come before.

Even the most tightly sealed and well-equipped underground bunkers only have supplies for around a century ...  The blink of a geological eye.  If our species is to survive in the long run, we need to unite and prepare for what is to come.  As of now, we have talked about it, more than anything else.

On 4/21/2019 at 6:43 AM, Renegade said:

The sad part for me is that the US only accounts for somewhere between 10 and 15 percent of the world's CO2 emissions.  So, even if the USA became miraculously and completely carbon-neutral overnight, it would barely affect the climate's trajectory. 

Despite accounting for so little of the world's CO2 and methane emissions, it is still vital for us to put our house in order.  Even in our current decline, trends in the US have had an outsized influence, internationally.  I believe that if we join the EU and wage war against climate change, on an even more intense level, the world will follow.   US prosperity for the common person started by FDR, made us the envy and inspiration of people, worldwide.   I believe A Green New Deal, which also creates good jobs, as AOC outlined, can do the same.

But considering the urgent necessity of halting Climate Change, bringing emissions under control will not be enough.  However strenuously we wage climate war, it will take time for noticeable results, during which more damage will be done. 

Almost surely, some form of global Climate Engineering will be necessary.  Scientists and others have devised many schemes to capture CO2 and methane from the atmosphere, reflect solar energy back out into space, or block a portion of sunlight from reaching earth.  

One of the most promising and least likely to cause unintended consequences is a project devised by Dr Joanne Chory, a professor and director of the Plant Molecular and Cellular Biology Laboratory, at the Salk Institute for Biological Studies and an investigator at the Howard Hughes Medical Institute.   As we speak, she and her team are working on the gene-editing of various plants.  Using traditional horticulture techniques and more advanced means like Crispr, they are creating "super plants", with deep, extensive root systems, that gather CO2 from air and store it underground.  These plants have the additional benefit of powerful erosion control. 

This concept basically splices the genes of regular crops and everyday plants like beans, corn and cotton, with a new compound that makes them absorb more carbon. Their roots then transfer it to the soil to keep it there. This approach essentially supercharges what nature already does.

So these super plants can be grown as crops, covering vast portions of the globe.  They could also be planted in place of grass on, on side-gradings of highways and railroad, public fields, the spaces around public buildings and even residences

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/04/16/biologist-creating-super-plants-to-combat-climate-change/

On 4/21/2019 at 7:16 AM, rrober49 said:

if we allied with europe and only bought from countries that took part

paris climate accord seemed like it could of went better

I agree. One problem with the Accords is that the participating countries gave far more lip service than action to carry out its directives.  Without the world's only superpower, the Paris Climate Accords were woefully incomplete.  The US needs to not only attend the accords, but set the example to other nations, exceeding what the Paris Accords directed.  Unfortunately, all that will have to wait until we get rid of this regressive government which is doing its best to halt progress.

6 hours ago, bludog said:

Using traditional horticulture techniques and more advanced means like Crispr, they are creating "super plants", with deep, extensive root systems, that gather CO2 from air and store it underground. 

That sounds like an excellent idea.  If I had to guess whether it will be politics or science to get us out of this mess, science is the easy choice.  

I would like to believe that the exponential advance of science still be enough to stop the global energizing if the atmosphere.

But I also think the damage to the ecology is exponential, south the number of species being killed etc.

I'll keep hoping, and voting. Maybe it'll happen.

Maybe AOC will run for President in 2024. I'd like that. I think she'll be just old enough, as she's 29 now. She has a lot of energy, and good intentions, and loads of intelligence.