Sign in to follow this  
guilluamezenz

who would support a ban on conservatives?

I would like to start a discussion on banning conservatives. Maybe not conservatives per say a few seem to be wiling to discuss things in civil and logical terms, 99% of the rest are just abusive trolls, just get rid of them they do not discuss issues they slander and insult they are not honest participants they are subversive

Image result for no trolls

If you're serious about wanting to be part of a forum which bans conservatives out, check out DEMOCRATIC UNDERGROUND.  The site owner here, David-R, a conservative, determines who can be a member.  He bought LIBERALFORUM from the original owner who was an enthusiastic liberal.  But the forum's name was not changed. The owner's admin, teacher is also conservative (libertarian).   In case you're wondering, I have no administrative permissions.  The chance of getting trolls banned here is about 00.000001%.  Maybe less. 

17 hours ago, bludog said:

If you're serious about wanting to be part of a forum which bans conservatives out, check out DEMOCRATIC UNDERGROUND.  The site owner here, David-R, a conservative, determines who can be a member.  He bought LIBERALFORUM from the original owner who was an enthusiastic liberal.  But the forum's name was not changed. The owner's admin, teacher is also conservative (libertarian).   In case you're wondering, I have no administrative permissions.  The chance of getting trolls banned here is about 00.000001%.  Maybe less. 

I have a sneaking suspicion that the owner or someone else is sharing IP addresses and possibly more with other conservative members.

I actually complained about it to a moderator here after someone correctly, publicly identified my location and other information that I had not revealed and made further threats against me... all over some ridiculous argument that of course he couldn't win with logic.

Now that you've revealed that this place is owned by cons, it makes me think it's probably a good idea just to leave and never come back.

Amusing myself with futile arguments just isn't worth it.

23 minutes ago, Toldya said:

Now that you've revealed that this place is owned by cons, it makes me think it's probably a good idea just to leave and never come back.

Amusing myself with futile arguments just isn't worth it.

"The truth shall set you free" - John 8:31-32.:)    But seriously:  Sorry to lose you Toldya.   During your limited participation in LO, you made some valuable contributions, IMO.

That said, did you really think that engaging in controversy with cons, on any internet chat forum amounts to much more than "futile arguments"?   I would have thought people would get a hint that David_R is a conservative by the snuff film he pinned at the top of NHB.  I don't go into NHB much.  But when I do, I expect very little in the way of enlightenment.

I have nothing wrong with people who have conservative views posting here. There is always room for honest discussion on policy measures. What I don't like is trolls, or those who spread misinformation just for the heck of it. Misinformation is what has got this country all messed up. 

What is important and why? How do we create a better country for all people?

Peace!

19 hours ago, bludog said:

"The truth shall set you free" - John 8:31-32.:)    But seriously:  Sorry to lose you Toldya.   During your limited participation in LO, you made some valuable contributions, IMO.

That said, did you really think that engaging in controversy with cons, on any internet chat forum amounts to much more than "futile arguments"?   I would have thought people would get a hint that David_R is a conservative by the snuff film he pinned at the top of NHB.  I don't go into NHB much.  But when I do, I expect very little in the way of enlightenment.

It's not about the arguments... I'm worried about being hacked, having someone take my personal life and put it online.

You know what kind of people come onto this forum. I have no idea who they are or what they're involved in, but when they can identify my location and other things without my knowledge, it's pretty alarming. I reported this and kfools said he would 'look into it'... but the member who made the threats is still here and I haven't heard anything about it.

The reason I'm alarmed by the conservative ownership is that people who are political can get carried away. If they're on my side I can trust that they probably won't go after me-- not so if they're on the other side.

I wasn't going to come back or post this, but I think people need to know that this is happening and that the site owner and the mods have zero interest in doing anything about it. For all I know, this David R guy thinks it's funny and loves the fact that a librul is being hacked or humiliated or hurt. Maybe he's compiling a list of names for people he wants to shoot with his second-amendment-guaranteed gun.

The people on this forum are fun to laugh at as long as they're at a distance, but I DO NOT want one of them showing up at my door with a loaded gun or something one day. I don't want them going through my hard drive or spying on my activity or figuring out who I am and who the other people in my life are.

All of this might sound paranoid to you, but you really can't be too careful...

14 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

I have nothing wrong with people who have conservative views posting here. There is always room for honest discussion on policy measures. What I don't like is trolls, or those who spread misinformation just for the heck of it. Misinformation is what has got this country all messed up. 

What is important and why? How do we create a better country for all people?

Peace!

What I really dislike is the "conservatives" need to attempt to insult.

A discussion of anything DOES NOT REQUIRE that the person discussing needs to insult,

1 hour ago, peter45 said:

What I really dislike is the "conservatives" need to attempt to insult.

A discussion of anything DOES NOT REQUIRE that the person discussing needs to insult,

Yes.  NHB is popular and serves a purpose, but it's not for everyone.  What I don't like is the lack of civility, courtesy, and respect.  A person is entitled to their own opinions, but I don't have to listen if they're being hateful. 

Instead of a ban on conservatives, what we need is a place to civilly exchange thoughts and ideas with conservatives.  Since we can't do that on NHB (too much trolling) or LO (no conservatives), we would need a 3rd forum with rules of behavior for all members.   Do you think it would be too much work to moderate?

28 minutes ago, Renegade said:

Yes.  NHB is popular and serves a purpose, but it's not for everyone.  What I don't like is the lack of civility, courtesy, and respect.  A person is entitled to their own opinions, but I don't have to listen if they're being hateful. 

Instead of a ban on conservatives, what we need is a place to civilly exchange thoughts and ideas with conservatives.  Since we can't do that on NHB (too much trolling) or LO (no conservatives), we would need a 3rd forum with rules of behavior for all members.   Do you think it would be too much work to moderate?

About a year and a half ago, just such a sub-forum was proposed, in the Moderator Meeting thread, visible only to mods.  Two volunteers agreed, as their only duty, to moderate the Civil Debate Sub-Forum.   Rules were drawn up.  Then, for very vague reasons, it never came to fruition.  My guess is, the owner, who usually resists changes, nixed it.

5 hours ago, bludog said:

About a year and a half ago, just such a sub-forum was proposed, in the Moderator Meeting thread, visible only to mods.  Two volunteers agreed, as their only duty, to moderate the Civil Debate Sub-Forum.   Rules were drawn up.  Then, for very vague reasons, it never came to fruition.  My guess is, the owner, who usually resists changes, nixed it.

I used to post on a NHB type forum.

The rules were changed, and it became a civil debate type forum.

Lots of the foul mouthed trolls dropped out,

but,

there were much more interesting discussions.

People actually commented that they were learning things from each other.

I got into the habit of criticizing "conservatives", but respecting the opinions of genuine Conservatives.

And never any personal insults to the other poster.

I honestly think that if a person really believes in their point of view,

they should be eager to present it, and defend it civilly.

The other forum eventually changed their rules again, after a few years,

so I came here.

3 hours ago, peter45 said:

I used to post on a NHB type forum.

The rules were changed, and it became a civil debate type forum.

Lots of the foul mouthed trolls dropped out,

but,

there were much more interesting discussions.

People actually commented that they were learning things from each other. 

I got into the habit of criticizing "conservatives", but respecting the opinions of genuine Conservatives.

And never any personal insults to the other poster.

I honestly think that if a person really believes in their point of view,

they should be eager to present it, and defend it civilly.

The other forum eventually changed their rules again, after a few years,

so I came here.

No doubt about it:  When people debate in a format which prohibits gratuitous belittling of opponents and using expletives against them, exchanges become vastly more informative and worthwhile.  Overlooking the common practice of 'making-stuff-up',  there's not much left but facts and logic to make a point.  (In a perfect world, instant fact-checking would also change the game for the better).  I was disappointed when we couldn't make the Civil Debate Sub-Forum materialize.