LoreD

Low Waste Lifestyle

I have been watching videos on reducing our use of one use plastic items.

I have been trying to stop using plastics, but I hadn't realized how much plastic there was in the grocery stores.  Even produce items that come into the store unpackaged, are then packaged by the produce staff.

I bring my cloth or paper produce bags to the store, so seeing everything in plastic is upsetting.

I have found a small locally owned Save-a-Lot store that is stocking many of the produce items in bulk bins.  It also helps because I can buy smaller amounts without having a lot of food waste. 

The biggest problem I'm having is with frozen vegetables.  All of the bags are plastic.  Spinach is the exception.  Aldi brand spinach comes in a cardboard box covered in paper.  I remember seeing cardboard packages of frozen squash, spinach, brussel sprouts, and other vegetables in the stores when I was young.  It would be nice to bring them back.

I'm living in Wisconsin, so year round fruit and veg farmer's markets are not an option.  Even the local CSAs freeze the excess veggies in plastic bags for sale during the winter.

Ice cream used to come in those cardboard containers, but they are in plastic tubs now.

I bring my bags into the store, and buy as much as possible from the bulk bins.  The few resealable plastic bags that came from the store have been recycled into sandwich lunch bags.  

I only buy peanut butter in glass jars, and then use them for storage containers.  I will, eventually, have to throw some of them out, but glass is easier to recycle than plastic.

I have  found single rolls of toilet paper packaged in paper instead of plastic.  I have been pricing bidets that can be installed on an existing toilet, so that I can reduce even that.  I cut up the old t shirts and towels to be used as rags.  I remember seeing the stacks of rags in my grandmother's linen closet.

I reuse the cleaning spray bottles and fill them with 50% vinegar or bleach.  I switched back to bars of soap, instead of body wash in plastic bottles.  I went over to a local artisan store and bought bar shampoo and beeswax moisturizer in metal or glass jars.

I think if everybody could reduce their single use plastic by 50%, we would be able to start the cleanup.

It is difficult, but I think doable.  I'm not trying to remove all plastic from my life, just the single use items that have 15 minutes of use and then are thrown away.

I have done well not taking plastic bags for food  but yeah those pesky veggie bags are hard to avoid

plastic spice bottles add up.  I would like to try my hand at a herb garden for fresh  then dried herbs: low on pesticides too !

dehydrators are easy to make  and can play a small role in opening up options for storage

50% looks like a doable goal for me 

I would like to see more option for tool skins and casings:  plastic dipped handles, plastic casings on all my power tools. I would pay more to opt out

I found dental floss in a cardboard container.  I know the floss is an issue, but a cardboard container was a plus. I use a Waterpik daily, but still need to floss.  I bought deodorant in a glass container, and a shampoo bar.  I'm still looking for toothpaste in a jar.  I know that I can get it online, but I thought I would check local  sources first.

Malaysia announced that they are cutting off all imports of recycling plastic.   They said that countries need to care of their own rubbish, and stop dumping it on other countries.

5 hours ago, Imgreatagain said:

Where did you get floss in a cardboard container ? 

What is the brand name 

I found it at my local health food store, but you can get it online.  I just checked out the floss, and it isn't plastic.

https://thrivemarket.com/p/dr-tungs-activated-charcoal-floss?utm_medium=pla_smart&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Shopping_Engagement_Smart_Members&utm_content=019373755912&utm_term=na&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrL_Gs9DT4QIVzbrACh0gDAwGEAQYCiABEgJgIPD_BwE

Flip your floss with Dr. Tung's. This novel Activated Charcoal Floss is a new and innovative way to keep your teeth clean and healthy. It contains charcoal to help absorb plaque and bacteria, removing more of it as it expands. The material features simple polyester fibers with a refreshing flavor boost from lemongrass. Free of polyfluoroalkyl.

Amazon has it:

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Tungs-Activated-Charcoal-Vegan/dp/B07GJQS4Q2/ref=sr_1_8?crid=2ROTDLAFD4DMR&keywords=dr+tungs+smart+floss&qid=1555384279&s=gateway&sprefix=Dr+tung%2Caps%2C269&sr=8-8

Here is another company:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ND46M3K/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1

Wowe Natural Biodegradable Silk Dental Floss with Mint...

About the product
  • 100% BIODEGRADABLE - Made from natural silk, natural candelilla wax, and natural mint
  • WHAT YOU GET - Each box includes a stainless steel container and three refills, each 33 yards long for a total of 99 yards
  • STAINLESS STEEL CONTAINER WITH BUILT IN FLOSS CUTTER - Other companies use plastic containers that go into the landfill or glass jars which break easily. Our custom designed stainless steel container will last a lifetime and is great for traveling
  • REFILLS - Each pack comes with three refills, each refill is 33 yards long. For more refills check out our 5 pack of refills
  • OUR PACKAGING IS PLASTIC FREE - We use kraft packaging which is made from recycled material and is completely plastic free.

Another one:

https://www.urbanoreganics.com/products/bamboo-charcoal-floss

This 100% biodegradable dental floss is made from sustainable bamboo and packed in a zero-waste/plastic free glass container with metal dispensing lid. Breaks down in approximately 60-90 days and contains no gluten, preservatives, artificial coloring or sweeteners - just a mild flavor from pure peppermint and tea tree essential oils.

Another benefit of low waste lifestyle.  I can't buy a lot of the plastic packaged processed crap anymore, so I lost 4 pounds.  

On 4/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, LoreD said:

I have been watching videos on reducing our use of one use plastic items.

I just take them to the recycle center !

Suggestion: The next time your PC / monitor dies...you can start going to the library to reduce your plastic footprint.