Sign in to follow this  
TheOldBarn

Why is my State Red?

I don't know... or so the story goes. Look I am not a historian and I'm just positing what I know about history which frankly isn't a lot. But here's my short take on the answer.

I think the reasons go back way back to the founding of this country. Many of the first thirteen colonies required agriculture to produce product that could be sold back to Europe for profits for items that could not be manufactured here at that time. Slavery was utilized by the Brits and the French in the Caribbeans and then introduced into the states as a means of production primarily ordained by what we might call the ultra rich now.

Basically speaking, ports were needed as a means of transportation back and forth between the Atlantic Ocean, and these ports became huge economic powers in themselves. Say Baltimore, Boston, Charleston, New York in the beginning.

Eventually as the new continent won it's freedom new cities that were strategically located nearby the port cities by channels grew. Say Chicago, Detroit, etc...

This is where markets and centrally located parcels of land evolved into large cities that in turn created their own centralized economies. And then you had the railroads bridging the East to the West and eventually the Pacific based trade system grew strong. 

I'm leaving a lot out regarding manufacturing of course. I'm also leaving out a lot out regarding the elite Universities that were born out from all this wealth that was eventually achieved. 

In many of the Red States which had no ports you had cities that grew up out of production. Big coal is one example of a giant powerhouse of production. In order to power any manufacturing you required energy and big coal provided this big time. 

What about workers rights? Good question. Coal miners struggled hard and got paid little. The owners decided to own the land and control everything. Sort of like slavery. The company store. 

You must think about the basic needs of production when you think about what made the US such a strong power house in economic terms. The railroads, the steal industry, later on auto manufacturing, and even agriculture where small farms lost out to big corporate farming. And now of course high tech, military arms production and big pharma. 

I sound like a crazy wacko for even writing this basic history of why we have red states. Anyway, it's not that the port cities of Boston or New York were or even are more egalitarian, and less racist, it's just that these were cities that accepted myriads of new immigrants. And yes, there were battles that ensued. Workers rights, people working for nothing, children working in textile mills etc. 

But out of that framework a more Liberalized, but by no means perfect charter slowly evolved along the coastal cities, except in Miami (I can't blame Trump for that one). 

The land is big and it is bountiful. The middle is just as good as the coast and in many ways more fertile. Hey, what's the problem with Central and South America, if anyone should ask?

In a short, I would say, the country, the entirety of the Americas land masses is historically economically rigged.

And by these terms, once upon a time, American Exceptionalism did in theory exist, as long as you were not a slave or brown skinned, or a woman, or an indigent.

Well some might say it still exists if you are smart, creative, of sound entrepreneur mind and have a good idea that will as they change the world for the better someday... ha ha ha , then by all means you should go for it :(

Peace!

19 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

I sound like a crazy wacko for even writing this basic history of why we have red states.

No you don't. That actually sounds like a reasonably accurate summary to me. :)

21 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

Well some might say it still exists if you are smart, creative, of sound entrepreneur mind and have a good idea that will as they change the world for the better someday... ha ha ha , then by all means you should go for it :(

And those would most likely be the same people who are already well off financially right now who woukd say that.

Many are baby boomers who grew up in an era where such upward mobility was far more easily attainable. The problem is that they assume the American economic system today to be largely unchanged from back then, when in reality younger generations are worse off then we've been since the great depression.

1 minute ago, AquilaKing said:

No you don't. That actually sounds like a reasonably accurate summary to me. :)

And those would most likely be the same people who are already well off financially right now who woukd say that.

Many are baby boomers who grew up in an era where such upward mobility was far more easily attainable. The problem is that they assume the American economic system today to be largely unchanged from back then, when in reality younger generations are worse off then we've been since the great depression.

I think you are right. I am a baby boomer whose parents experienced the great depression and WWII first hand. It twas rapid growth up until the Vietnam war and the oil embargo when Nixon was president. Something was lost in that time. Just as something was very lost well before. I think we never really found our way regarding what people call American Exceptionalism, which I always thought meant that all people should have a chance at prosperity, and those that needed assistance would actually signify that there was work still left to be done.

We have some extreme poverty in the US nobody really talks about in political circles. We got people living on the streets in droves akin to long ago. 

Tolstoy wrote about the infinitesimals in War and Peace, the folks never mentioned much in any history. 

What I wrote a lot of people I think might agree with basically. The Green New Deal, is kind of like saying, we need a new FDR, or an abrupt change in the way we do business now.

BTW, when I grew up most kids in my neighborhood thought they'd get a job working in a car factory. If you went to college you were really smart and you'd likely be a professional or a teacher for life. They taught civics in high school, and yes, racism was all around back then too, which is sad to say as well.

Peace!

14 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

I think you are right. I am a baby boomer whose parents experienced the great depression and WWII first hand. It twas rapid growth up until the Vietnam war and the oil embargo when Nixon was president. Something was lost in that time. Just as something was very lost well before. I think we never really found our way regarding what people call American Exceptionalism, which I always thought meant that all people should have a chance at prosperity, and those that needed assistance would actually signify that there was work still left to be done.

We have some extreme poverty in the US nobody really talks about in political circles. We got people living on the streets in droves akin to long ago. 

Tolstoy wrote about the infinitesimals in War and Peace, the folks never mentioned much in any history. 

What I wrote a lot of people I think might agree with basically. The Green New Deal, is kind of like saying, we need a new FDR, or an abrupt change in the way we do business now.

BTW, when I grew up most kids in my neighborhood thought they'd get a job working in a car factory. If you went to college you were really smart and you'd likely be a professional or a teacher for life. They taught civics in high school, and yes, racism was all around back then too, which is sad to say as well.

Peace!

Wages have been stagnant ever since the Reaganomics of the 1980's. Conservative politics became the predominant force in this country for a while there, and as a result the only way for Democrats to even have a chance at winning for for them to run to the right like with Clinton and at later Obama.

Thankfully now with the rise of truly progressive politicians like Bernie Sanders, AOC, Tulsi Gabbard, Elizabeth Warren, etc. a new FDR hopefully isn't too far away.

2 hours ago, AquilaKing said:

Wages have been stagnant ever since the Reaganomics of the 1980's. Conservative politics became the predominant force in this country for a while there, and as a result the only way for Democrats to even have a chance at winning for for them to run to the right like with Clinton and at later Obama.

Thankfully now with the rise of truly progressive politicians like Bernie Sanders, AOC, Tulsi Gabbard, Elizabeth Warren, etc. a new FDR hopefully isn't too far away.

It's gonna take a lot of young people who won't be fooled.

And a good old man like Bernie to boot.

It's never gonna be easy, I think that's the one thing an old guy can tell you.

Peace!

3 hours ago, TheOldBarn said:

I don't know... or so the story goes. Look I am not a historian and I'm just positing what I know about history which frankly isn't a lot. But here's my short take on the answer.

I think the reasons go back way back to the founding of this country. Many of the first thirteen colonies required agriculture to produce product that could be sold back to Europe for profits for items that could not be manufactured here at that time. Slavery was utilized by the Brits and the French in the Caribbeans and then introduced into the states as a means of production primarily ordained by what we might call the ultra rich now.

Basically speaking, ports were needed as a means of transportation back and forth between the Atlantic Ocean, and these ports became huge economic powers in themselves. Say Baltimore, Boston, Charleston, New York in the beginning.

Eventually as the new continent won it's freedom new cities that were strategically located nearby the port cities by channels grew. Say Chicago, Detroit, etc...

This is where markets and centrally located parcels of land evolved into large cities that in turn created their own centralized economies. And then you had the railroads bridging the East to the West and eventually the Pacific based trade system grew strong. 

I'm leaving a lot out regarding manufacturing of course. I'm also leaving out a lot out regarding the elite Universities that were born out from all this wealth that was eventually achieved. 

In many of the Red States which had no ports you had cities that grew up out of production. Big coal is one example of a giant powerhouse of production. In order to power any manufacturing you required energy and big coal provided this big time. 

What about workers rights? Good question. Coal miners struggled hard and got paid little. The owners decided to own the land and control everything. Sort of like slavery. The company store. 

You must think about the basic needs of production when you think about what made the US such a strong power house in economic terms. The railroads, the steal industry, later on auto manufacturing, and even agriculture where small farms lost out to big corporate farming. And now of course high tech, military arms production and big pharma. 

I sound like a crazy wacko for even writing this basic history of why we have red states. Anyway, it's not that the port cities of Boston or New York were or even are more egalitarian, and less racist, it's just that these were cities that accepted myriads of new immigrants. And yes, there were battles that ensued. Workers rights, people working for nothing, children working in textile mills etc. 

But out of that framework a more Liberalized, but by no means perfect charter slowly evolved along the coastal cities, except in Miami (I can't blame Trump for that one). 

The land is big and it is bountiful. The middle is just as good as the coast and in many ways more fertile. Hey, what's the problem with Central and South America, if anyone should ask?

In a short, I would say, the country, the entirety of the Americas land masses is historically economically rigged.

And by these terms, once upon a time, American Exceptionalism did in theory exist, as long as you were not a slave or brown skinned, or a woman, or an indigent.

Peace!

Here's my theory.

Most of the red states were slave states. Only depraved people would own slaves and only depraved people would attack their own country. 

The Whites that settled the South were a different breed that the people who settled the North. The Northerners were more ethnically diverse and because the North was industrialized the average Yankee was more intelligent and more educated. Yankee ingenuity is worth more than beating slaves to pick cotton. Yankee are more industrious.

Southerners are less moral than Northerners. The churches in the North are Catholic, Lutheran, Episcopalian, Dutch Reformed, Russian Orthodox, Presbyterian, and Jewish synagogues. I mention this because Catholics, Episcopalians, Russian and Greek orthodox confess their sins and do penance and Jew make atonement for their wrongs whereas the Baptist and other Southern cults roll around on the floor, babble in tongues and believe that they are saved. The believe in salvation by grace and by every measure the Southerner is a more depraved entity that a Northerner.  

There were moral Republicans but a moral Republican won't appeal to the depraved Republican base. The so called Christians in the South nearly got pedophile Roy Moore elected. 

Lincoln should have let the South secede and instead of have a full scale war he should have terrorized the Southern aristocracy. Had he sent sharp shooters there to kill plantation owners the rich would have capitulated and we could have avoided a bloody war. Who deservd to die more, brainwashed Confederate soldiers or the slave owners. The idiots in the South never really surrendered. They still fly their battle flag and call in heritage. That's evil. 

Bad wordty people make Bad wordty countries and Bad wordty communities. It's that simple. It's really not all that academic. Like Papa Johns says, "Better ingredients. Better pizza. 

As you may recall, I am of the belief that morals and behavior have as much to do with nature as nurture. Some people have rotten parents and turn out good and some people have good parents and turn out rotten. Rotten people should be sterilized IMO. It would be immoral not to stop evil people from breeding.

I can't go with that BludoggL, I just shant.

Sorry, I won't quote this that you said. I think you are putting the cart before the horse, or, as they say, trying to close the gate after the cows have all been let loose.

Peace!

3 hours ago, AquilaKing said:

Clinton was a conservative and Obama was no liberal. The last liberal we had was Carter.  His initials were JC When you count the letters in Ronald Wilson Reagan it's 666. Nancy Reagan moved to a new home in the Bel-Air section of Los Angeles. It had the address of 666 St. Cloud Road. Coincidence?

Clinton was a fiscal conservative but no Republicans are. Clinton was tough on crime. Clinton created a budget surplus. Clinton was a snake in many ways.

IMO we need to move back to a more egalitarian society. Technology is such that every American can own a home but like so many other industries the housing industry need to go.

3 hours ago, AquilaKing said:

I'd like to see a Biden/Booker or a Bernie/Booker. I also like Kamala Harris. 

If we want to win and win big we need to register voters. I worked the phone for Hillary and it was a disaster because so many people have cell phones and don't pick up because of all the spam calls. It was a failed strategy. When I worked for Obama in 08 the hit rate on phone calls was much better we also registered voters. Obama had a better ground game. 

If there is one campaign theme it needs to be... 20% of the people own 80% of the wealth. 

6 minutes ago, TheOldBarn said:

I can't go with that BludoggL, I just shant.

Sorry, I won't quote this that you said. I think you are putting the cart before the horse, or, as they say, trying to close the gate after the cows have all been let loose.

Peace!

It's a tough pill to swallow but I can back it all up with facts.

Here's a question of morality. Let's say that DNA can detect what fetuses will become a Trump, Hitler, Manson, Jeffery Dahmer, Pol Pot, Stalin, Boston Stranger, Jack the Ripper etc.. Would it be moral to allow those people to be born?

By every metric the Bible belt it the most depraved low IQ area in the country.  You can't fix stupid and IMO you can't fix immoral. You can't fix greedy either.

It's hard to accept that the world is full of terrible predatory people. If a car jacker were to earn an MBA he'd be no different than the slime that serves on boards of directors of corporations or CEOs. Sure part of it is the system but we got the system because the filthy rich criminal elite created it and now they own the government. Until they are gone nothing will change. 

If you don't think depravity is in DNA how would you explain Donald Jr, Ivanka, Eric Trump, and Kushner whose father in a convicted felon? 

Humans are animals and we survived two way. We were Machiavellian and who cooperated. We no longer need to be Machiavellian. It is time to rid the world of the Machiavellian types. Not to do so is immoral.

If all people were good people we would not need cops. 

I am not suggesting all people are moral. I am sort of talking in anthropological terms. Conjoining that with basic history of the US and Western thought. You say what you say regarding the US, and I might suggest, the same could be said about any humans in any country. 

You say we need cops, but is that true everywhere?

I don't have the answers. I'm just you know, like Joe the plumber, only my name isn't Joe and I'm not a plumber - if you ask me what is the coolest word in the English language, I might say, 

Plumber. They plumbed that old rut, of pipes, using skill and geometry, they did.

They plumbed and they plumbed, those plumbers did plumb.

Peace! 

The Past
waking up in an empty house all alone
what a joy, dressing up in a purple shirt
wearing a chain with a medallion around my neck,
showing up in the third grade.
The first time I picked up a guitar 
The first time I heard Van Morrison/'/s 
Domino
The same old same old me, a different
body, a completely different style of thought
No two motives come drifting through