Sign in to follow this  
TDS

How to grow giant beefsteak tomatoes

8 hours ago, TDS said:

google chinese drywall lawsuit.

Oh I see.

"Chinese drywall" refers to an environmental health issue involving defective drywall manufactured in China, imported to the United States and used in residential construction between 2001 and 2009 — affecting "an estimated 100,000 homes in more than 20 states."[1]

In samples of contaminated drywall, laboratory tests will detect off-gassing of volatile chemicals and sulfurous gases — including carbon disulfide, carbonyl sulfide, and hydrogen sulfide.

The problem with sulfides is metal corrosion, which is a problem in home construction, but not gardens.  The first rain will eliminate them.

There are more toxic elements in your garden already, as a natural occurrence, than anything in drywall.

You could buy a bag of gypsum from a garden supply shop or order it online if it makes you feel safer.

1 hour ago, fishhead said:

This stuff is bueno for yer termaters.

cal-mag-plus.jpg

Calcium nitrate

magnesium nitrate

iron EDTA

Yep, calcium nitrate is good stuff.  I'd rather use it than miracle gro.

53 minutes ago, Bluenami said:

Calcium nitrate

magnesium nitrate

iron EDTA

53 minutes ago, Bluenami said:

Calcium nitrate

magnesium nitrate

iron EDTA

And to think I listened to those stupid crackers.

I've done my share of drywall finishing. I used to wash my mud buckets on peoples lawns. The grass would get green like green.

Do I have to keep that nitrate stuff away from diesel fuel?

19 minutes ago, TDS said:

And to think I listened to those stupid crackers.

Miracle gro is ok, but is expensive and contains no calcium.  I think it's like 24-x-x, so it's a lot of nitrogen.  I get the 5-11-26 and mix with calcium nitrate.  Directions are on the label for tomatoes

a207917143c02e42919fcd_l__74002.14127134

And that bag is a lifetime supply lol

I've done my share of drywall finishing. I used to wash my mud buckets on peoples lawns. The grass would get green like green.

Well there ya go.  I did some experimenting and found gypsum was just about as good as nitrogen for making plants grow.  

Do I have to keep that nitrate stuff away from diesel fuel?

I think you're thinking of ammonium nitrate, but they add sulfur now since Oklahoma City happened to prevent it from being used like that.

2 minutes ago, Bluenami said:

Miracle gro is ok, but is expensive and contains no calcium.  I think it's like 24-x-x, so it's a lot of nitrogen.  I get the 5-11-26 and mix with calcium nitrate.  Directions are on the label for tomatoes

a207917143c02e42919fcd_l__74002.14127134

And that bag is a lifetime supply lol

Well there ya go.  I did some experimenting and found gypsum was just about as good as nitrogen for making plants grow.  

I think you're thinking of ammonium nitrate, but they add sulfur now since Oklahoma City happened to prevent it from being used like that.

That stuff cost $50.00 per gallon at amazon. No way I can afford that.

Just now, TDS said:

That stuff cost $50.00 per gallon at amazon. No way I can afford that.

Yeah, but it's cheaper per lb than miracle gro.  It's a lifetime supply!

Here's 4lb calcium nitrate for $12  https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLUNTARY-PURCHASING-GROUP-Calcium-Nitrate-4-lb/253734663827

But I would only use it during leaf growth because of the nitrogen.  When the plant is making tomatoes, it might not be a good idea to stimulate vegetative growth with too much N

27 minutes ago, Bluenami said:

Yeah, but it's cheaper per lb than miracle gro.  It's a lifetime supply!

Here's 4lb calcium nitrate for $12  https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLUNTARY-PURCHASING-GROUP-Calcium-Nitrate-4-lb/253734663827

But I would only use it during leaf growth because of the nitrogen.  When the plant is making tomatoes, it might not be a good idea to stimulate vegetative growth with too much N

OK, I grok that!😀