Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
TDS

How to grow giant beefsteak tomatoes

Recommended Posts

8 hours ago, TDS said:

 

google chinese drywall lawsuit.

 

Oh I see.

 

"Chinese drywall" refers to an environmental health issue involving defective drywall manufactured in China, imported to the United States and used in residential construction between 2001 and 2009 — affecting "an estimated 100,000 homes in more than 20 states."[1]

In samples of contaminated drywall, laboratory tests will detect off-gassing of volatile chemicals and sulfurous gases — including carbon disulfide, carbonyl sulfide, and hydrogen sulfide.

 

The problem with sulfides is metal corrosion, which is a problem in home construction, but not gardens.  The first rain will eliminate them.

 

There are more toxic elements in your garden already, as a natural occurrence, than anything in drywall.

 

You could buy a bag of gypsum from a garden supply shop or order it online if it makes you feel safer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, fishhead said:

 This stuff is bueno for yer termaters.

 

cal-mag-plus.jpg

 

Calcium nitrate

magnesium nitrate

iron EDTA

 

Yep, calcium nitrate is good stuff.  I'd rather use it than miracle gro.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Bluenami said:

 

Calcium nitrate

magnesium nitrate

iron EDTA

 

Yep, calcium nitrate is good stuff.  I'd rather use it than miracle gro.

 

53 minutes ago, Bluenami said:

 

Calcium nitrate

magnesium nitrate

iron EDTA

 

Yep, calcium nitrate is good stuff.  I'd rather use it than miracle gro.

 

And to think I listened to those stupid crackers.

 

I've done my share of drywall finishing. I used to wash my mud buckets on peoples lawns. The grass would get green like green.

 

Do I have to keep that nitrate stuff away from diesel fuel?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, TDS said:

 

 

And to think I listened to those stupid crackers.

 

Miracle gro is ok, but is expensive and contains no calcium.  I think it's like 24-x-x, so it's a lot of nitrogen.  I get the 5-11-26 and mix with calcium nitrate.  Directions are on the label for tomatoes

 

a207917143c02e42919fcd_l__74002.14127134

 

And that bag is a lifetime supply lol

 

19 minutes ago, TDS said:

 

I've done my share of drywall finishing. I used to wash my mud buckets on peoples lawns. The grass would get green like green.

 

Well there ya go.  I did some experimenting and found gypsum was just about as good as nitrogen for making plants grow.  

 

19 minutes ago, TDS said:

 

Do I have to keep that nitrate stuff away from diesel fuel?

 

 

I think you're thinking of ammonium nitrate, but they add sulfur now since Oklahoma City happened to prevent it from being used like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Bluenami said:

 

Miracle gro is ok, but is expensive and contains no calcium.  I think it's like 24-x-x, so it's a lot of nitrogen.  I get the 5-11-26 and mix with calcium nitrate.  Directions are on the label for tomatoes

 

a207917143c02e42919fcd_l__74002.14127134

 

And that bag is a lifetime supply lol

 

 

Well there ya go.  I did some experimenting and found gypsum was just about as good as nitrogen for making plants grow.  

 

 

I think you're thinking of ammonium nitrate, but they add sulfur now since Oklahoma City happened to prevent it from being used like that.

That stuff cost $50.00 per gallon at amazon. No way I can afford that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, TDS said:

That stuff cost $50.00 per gallon at amazon. No way I can afford that.

 

Yeah, but it's cheaper per lb than miracle gro.  It's a lifetime supply!

 

Here's 4lb calcium nitrate for $12  https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLUNTARY-PURCHASING-GROUP-Calcium-Nitrate-4-lb/253734663827

 

But I would only use it during leaf growth because of the nitrogen.  When the plant is making tomatoes, it might not be a good idea to stimulate vegetative growth with too much N

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bluenami said:

 

Yeah, but it's cheaper per lb than miracle gro.  It's a lifetime supply!

 

Here's 4lb calcium nitrate for $12  https://www.ebay.com/itm/VOLUNTARY-PURCHASING-GROUP-Calcium-Nitrate-4-lb/253734663827

 

But I would only use it during leaf growth because of the nitrogen.  When the plant is making tomatoes, it might not be a good idea to stimulate vegetative growth with too much N

OK, I grok that!😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×