Skans

Conservative v. Liberal Motorcycles.....

59 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

Small sample size and all but I would estimate that there is a correlation between the style of motorcycle and the terrain. Big, wide open, straight roads with little to no civilization would seems to lend itself to those bikes that are about top end speed such Harley's and those where you lean back or at least not sitting forward.

The only times I've was (even) remotely-concerned with top end speed was when we'd make it to see the oval flat-trackers.

Now-days, though.....ya' risk getting beaten by a woman.....

2013-0729-CA-Sac-Mile-Pro-Singles-PHOTO-

3 minutes ago, Phoenix68 said:

The only times I've was (even) remotely-concerned with top end speed was when we'd make it to see the oval flat-trackers.

Now-days, though.....ya' risk getting beaten by a woman.....

2013-0729-CA-Sac-Mile-Pro-Singles-PHOTO-

Interesting

When one gets outside of Reno/Tahoe and out into the wide open desert, one almost never sees anything closely resembling this (https://www.redbull.com/us-en/fastest-road-legal-motogp-bikes)

I've owned several bikes over the years, mostly Honda's and Kawa's... but I did have a FatBoy for two seasons about 20 years ago, I believe it was a '96. Gorgeous bike, but that EVO was about as reliable as a Yugo, and it stayed down more than I rode it.

On 3/6/2019 at 11:06 AM, Skans said:

I am curious about what kind of motorcycle a liberal or conservative would choose to spend their money on.  I think I have a good idea how the results would come down, but I'd like to hear from both liberals and conservatives, and even Impartialobserver on this.  I personally have a very specific kind of motorcycle I like - perhaps I will list them.

You can say what motorcycles you've had in the past, or now have, or what your "Dream Bike" would be.

Anything Indian...the older the better.

correlation between the style of motorcycle and the terrain. Big, wide open, straight roads with little to no civilization would seems to lend itself to those bikes that are about top end speed such Harley's and those where you lean back or at least not sitting forward. Urban environments (where most liberals live) and the more mountainous, switchback-y terrain would seem to lend itself to those bikes that are geared towards greater acceleration and turning ability.

I could see how one might think this, but motorcycles, for most folks, are very personal.  You are thinking too practical.  Even when I bought my 1st motorcycle at age 19, it had to be a certain size and look:  Below is exactly what my CB550 looked like after I got done restoring it:

Honda-CB550F-1.jpg

Nothing less than a 500cc would do, not even at 19.  The bigger, more powerful, the better.  It wouldn't matter where I lived.

On 3/6/2019 at 4:33 PM, slideman said:

What happened to Ducati Rider?

Probably saving up money for a tune-up.

1 hour ago, Skans said:

I could see how one might think this, but motorcycles, for most folks, are very personal.  You are thinking too practical.  Even when I bought my 1st motorcycle at age 19, it had to be a certain size and look:  Below is exactly what my CB550 looked like after I got done restoring it:

Honda-CB550F-1.jpg

Nothing less than a 500cc would do, not even at 19.  The bigger, more powerful, the better.  It wouldn't matter where I lived.

Interesting. 

3 hours ago, Skans said:

Yuck!  I hate Hummers.  But, I do like big gas-guzzling motorcycles.  And, the motorcycles I like are not economical at all.  I've always been enamored with bikes, and have never been without one since I was 19.  I'd have a stable of about 5 motorcycles if I had the space.  When I showed a picture of the one pictured below to my wife, she told me that it would burn my nuts off.

Confederate-X132-Hellcat-Speedster-08.jp

That looks extremely uncomfortable. Maybe it isn't, but it sure looks that way.It's also pretty ugly. Indians are ALL better looking than that.

It might burn your nuts off as well.

Indians are ALL better looking than that.

Well, there are old Indians and new Indians.  Polaris resurrected the Indian brand has been making the "Indian" motorcycles since about 2011.  The new Indian motorcycles look a lot like Harley's to me.  Now, the old Ace inline-4 was revolutionary for its time.  Indian didn't invent it, it bought out another company and started producing it under the Indian brand.  Still, that was a "crotch-rocket" in its day.

EJ - that Beemer (Unless you ride a Beemer, you call them Beemers) looks like it would be a lot of fun in the Appalachian mountains.  It's like a really powerful Super Motard.

33 minutes ago, Skans said:

EJ - that Beemer (Unless you ride a Beemer, you call them Beemers) looks like it would be a lot of fun in the Appalachian mountains.  It's like a really powerful Super Motard.

Beemers are only R -bikes.     The  horizontally opposed twins.    Bimmers are cars.

Bricks are K bikes

Single cylinders are Funduros 

That  GS ADV bike is a giant super motard.    They handle  very well and a great rider  can   beat sportbikes in the twisties 

They handle  very well and a great rider  can   beat sportbikes in the twisties 

You don't even have to be that great.  I road a Super Motard (I think it was a kawasaki kx400) conversion and my friend road his Ducati 999 - the Motard handled the twisties better than the Ducati.  

Beemers are only R -bikes.     The  horizontally opposed twins.    Bimmers are cars.  Bricks are K bikes

That's waaaaaaay too much Beemer information for this guy!  But, I sort of remember that.  I once tried to buy a "Brick" and a "Beemer" from some dead guy's estate.  The dad wanted too much money for the bikes.  That's ok, they probably would have been too slow for me; and the dead guy's bikes probably had bad Karma.

On 3/6/2019 at 9:36 AM, Skans said:

I am curious about what kind of motorcycle a liberal or conservative would choose to spend their money on.  I think I have a good idea how the results would come down, but I'd like to hear from both liberals and conservatives, and even Impartialobserver on this.  I personally have a very specific kind of motorcycle I like - perhaps I will list them.

You can say what motorcycles you've had in the past, or now have, or what your "Dream Bike" would be.

I dont think Prius makes a motorcycle for the Dummyrats?I ride a 17 ultra,Wife has a custom vrod.I prefer a goldwing.

1 hour ago, 123urout said:

I prefer a goldwing

Such a superior bike to a Harley Davidson.  If you prefer one, just get one.

Gold Wings kick ass.  

2019-Honda-Gold-Wing-Automatic-DCT2.jpg

I dont think Prius makes a motorcycle for the Dummyrats?I ride a 17 ultra,Wife has a custom vrod.I prefer a goldwing. 

Full dresser Harleys are nice to look at, but for a smooth ride and long distances, I think I too would rather have a fuel injected 6-cylinder engine.  As for the Vrod - that's definitely more my style!  Especially the VRXSE "Screaming Eagle". 

2 minutes ago, Skans said:

As for the Vrod - that's definitely more my style!  Especially the VRXSE "Screaming Eagle". 

The  only one  I ever liked was the  Street Rod.  They killed it after one or two years

The only one they made with the foot pegs in the  right place.

Gold Wings are giant sportbikes with  perimeter  frames and lots of 2019 tech.   Big Harley's are 1950s  tech

Gold Wings are giant sportbikes with  perimeter  frames and lots of 2019 tech.   Big Harley's are 1950s  tech

The one thing I've always questioned about Goldwings, even the new ones, is somewhat weak horsepower.  That 1833cc engine only puts out 125hp.  Seriously!  That's all you can get out of an almost 2 liter flat 6 engine?  The Yamaha Vmax 1700 (V-4) can crank out a whopping 200hp.  What's up with that???

Ok, so is this Motorcycle "Liberal" or "Conservative"?

BMW-K1600-by-Krugger-Motorcycles-1.jpeg

My first and last bike, probably a little too much bike for a novice rider. Hit some marbles in a corner a few times and decided that tree on the side of the road would really hurt. Road it one season and sold beginning of next, that gut t-boned a car in less than a week.

1981 KZ1000.

Image result for 1981 kx1000

On 3/11/2019 at 7:51 AM, EltonJohnson said:

BMW-R1250GS-Adventure-2019-7.jpg

Here's the affordable GS.lego-technic-bmw-r-1200gs-adventure-4206