Skans

Conservative v. Liberal Motorcycles.....

Q: What’s the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?

A: The Hoover is the one with the dirtbag on the bottom!

There were two of us and we carried our own provisions. Unbeknownst to most, Eastern Oregon is wide open high desert and in July... 100 degrees is not uncommon. 

It's funny how you can miss things like that!  I was traveling on I-20 and I-40 most of the way....in April. It was an unusually cold April and I hit cold front after cold front; some snow in Amarillo.  Camping in Mississippi was the coldest I got - right at 30 degrees.  I was not well prepared for the amount of rain and cold weather. 

I once worked with a guy who was semi-retired who decided to bicycle from LA to I believe Georgia.  He made it to Arizona or New Mexico had a heart attack and died.  He died doing what he enjoyed -sad funeral, though.

5 minutes ago, Skans said:

It's funny how you can miss things like that!  I was traveling on I-20 and I-40 most of the way....in April. It was an unusually cold April and I hit cold front after cold front; some snow in Amarillo.  Camping in Mississippi was the coldest I got - right at 30 degrees.  I was not well prepared for the amount of rain and cold weather. 

Never been to Mississippi but would never predict 30 degree there. Learn something new every day. 

We thought that we taking the "shortcut". Uhhh...not quite. It started out down a black rock canyon in the middle of the day. Next day, it was up 2500 or so feet over 8 miles and then a 5000 foot elevation an hour later. In our brilliance, we started the ride at 9 am. 

7 hours ago, Skans said:

I am curious about what kind of motorcycle a liberal or conservative would choose to spend their money on.  I think I have a good idea how the results would come down, but I'd like to hear from both liberals and conservatives, and even Impartialobserver on this.  I personally have a very specific kind of motorcycle I like - perhaps I will list them.

You can say what motorcycles you've had in the past, or now have, or what your "Dream Bike" would be.

I currently own or have owned:

- BMW R1200GS

- Triumph modern classic

- Yamaha dual sport

- Honda sport tourer

- Suzuki 80s UJM 

- Kawasaki dual sport

There is no dream bike for me but if I had a few spare grand burning a hole in my pocket I would probably pick up one of those new Triumph Scrambler 1200s and a Honda Super Cub C125 this year. Next year I will admire something new. 

I'm a lib. Not sure what the hypothesis is here because I use different bikes for different purposes.  Practically every motorcycle is beautiful. 

7 hours ago, Skans said:

I am curious about what kind of motorcycle a liberal or conservative would choose to spend their money on.

There IS only one kind.....

life-hells-angels_photo-bill-ray-1965_12

If I have the need to ride my son has a 2013 Hayabusa. I don't care for the riding position much so I seldom take it out. but after having both knees replaced finally I am getting back to where I could ride it again to ride a bike again for an hour or so. 

I've always wanted to ride a Hayabusa!  Of course, no one typically lets others ride their Hayabua, so this is not one I've ever had the pleasure of feeling the acceleration rush.  My 2nd bike was a Kawasaki Eliminator 900 - it was a muscle bike with a Ninja 900 engine in it.  Thus began my live for fast muscle bikes.  Of course, I buy all my bikes used - never owned a new bike.  Never owned a new car for that matter.

Only feeling close to riding is sky diving. Nothing like sitting on technology that can hurl you a quartermile in 10 seconds or less. or get you 0-80 in first gear under 500 feet. like free falling horizontally instead of vertically.

That's exactly how I feel!  I did just a little sky diving quite some time ago and I'd ride my motorcycle about 2 hours out to the air strip and back. Falling from an airplane provided faster acceleration than twisting the throttle on my CB550F.....If I had a Busa, well things might be different, and I might be dead.

There IS only one kind.....

Harley Sportster, Phoenix?  Hard for me to tell from that picture.

There is no dream bike for me but if I had a few spare grand burning a hole in my pocket I would probably pick up one of those new Triumph Scrambler 1200s and a Honda Super Cub C125 this year. Next year I will admire something new. 

I really don't know how to categorize your interest in bikes.  I had to look up most of the bikes you listed, as some of these seem like hybrid street/off-road bikes.   You have an eclectic taste in bikes.   Not that there's anything wrong with that.  I like to think that I'm pretty knowledgeable about motorcycles, it's just that I wasn't familiar with the bikes you mentioned.  Sort of humbling.

So far from this tiny statistical sampling:

Liberals more than Conservatives are into bikes.

Liberals tend to like classic styling or are choosing bikes for a particular purpose.

Not really enough conservative responses to make any inferences yet. 

27 minutes ago, Skans said:

Harley Sportster, Phoenix?

Yep.....a good ol' '80; ironhead....great in any color....as long as they're black.

So, the kind of bikes I like sort of fit my personality.  I like speed and acceleration, but straight line speed - don't care about cornering  in the twisties.  In the twisties, I'm slow and take my time cornering - not a knee dragger.  I like big bikes with a lot of torque and horsepower.  So, I tend to like bikes like the following:

Yamaha Vmax - especially the newer 1700cc

Triumph Rocket III

Boss Hoss - I know, I know, more "tiny dick" speculators - same as I get for having guns.  I don't have one, almost bought one a couple of times, but I can say they are freaking fun as heck to ride!

Confederate Hellcat - I have never owned one of these either, too expensive at over $50,000

Harley Vrod

Honda Rune

I know that cars and motorcycles are not the same. With cars, I tend to really only care that they operate. When I purchased my last vehicle, I only cared about two things; fuel mileage and reliability. 

49 minutes ago, slideman said:

Norton 850

My dream bike. Never owned one.

Bill

I've never owned a bike either.  There are too many potholes in Maine.  :lol:  It probably wouldn't end well anyway.

Motorcycles are dangerous. I reassembled a couple of boxes of parts into a Yamaguchi a sailor had brought back from Japan. It took a month or so to get it working, This was in winter in Lewis county Washington. There was a lot of snow. I was riding with my friend the band teacher down a trail in Gifford Pinchot National Forest. He was sitting behind me and yanked me off the bike, and the bike went into the Cowlitz River. There was a drop of about 20 feet, and the Yamaguchi went through the ice .

I think I was lucky. Also careless and foolish

I think I was lucky. Also careless and foolish

Yeah, but most foolishness makes for a good stories, if you survive!  I had to look up Yamaguchi as I never heard of it before.

Yep.....a good ol' '80; ironhead....great in any color....as long as they're black.

Black is such a conservative color, Phoenix!  I also theorized that more Conservatives would choose Harley Davidsons. 

On 3/6/2019 at 2:18 PM, harryramar said:

Q: What’s the difference between a Hoover and a Harley?

A: The Hoover is the one with the dirtbag on the bottom!

You can only put one dirtbag on a Hoover.

You can only put one dirtbag on a Hoover.

You Liberals do realize that the only one here who has claimed to own a Harley is Phoenix, right?  Not that I have any problem with Harley Davidsons - I wouldn't mind owning a tricked-out V-Rod.

All the motorcycles I favor are gas guzzlers - I like to keep the oil economy in good shape!

On 3/7/2019 at 8:45 AM, Skans said:

Yeah, but most foolishness makes for a good stories, if you survive!  I had to look up Yamaguchi as I never heard of it before.

Black is such a conservative color, Phoenix!  I also theorized that more Conservatives would choose Harley Davidsons. 

Yamaguchi went bankrupt in 1963. MIne was made in the  1950's. The band teacher had a Honda Trail 90, and his  sister gave him a tire chain for Christmas. It would not fit his Honda, but it did fit my Yamaguchi. It was yellow and cost me $50 for two boxes filled with parts, which I had to assemble. The engine was two-stroke, like a lawnmower. It smoked a lot and had a distinctive sound, like the cheap offbrand  lawn mowers my father used to buy.

Purchasing a  motorcycle is motivated in several ways. As a rule, motorcyclists are nonconformists, Conformists drive cars and pickups. They are often toys for wealthy men having a midlife crisis. Some are used for motocross sports, others for touring. Here in Miami, a lot of bike riders are from the Caribbean, where  scooters and one cylinder bikes of 150 CC's and less are seen as good cheap transportation. I don't think anyone can say that a specific brand is favored by people because of their politics.

I like to keep the oil economy in good shape!

Motorcycles are far too economical for you. You need a Hummer!

Motorcycles are far too economical for you. You need a Hummer!

Yuck!  I hate Hummers.  But, I do like big gas-guzzling motorcycles.  And, the motorcycles I like are not economical at all.  I've always been enamored with bikes, and have never been without one since I was 19.  I'd have a stable of about 5 motorcycles if I had the space.  When I showed a picture of the one pictured below to my wife, she told me that it would burn my nuts off.

Confederate-X132-Hellcat-Speedster-08.jp

Small sample size and all but I would estimate that there is a correlation between the style of motorcycle and the terrain. Big, wide open, straight roads with little to no civilization would seems to lend itself to those bikes that are about top end speed such Harley's and those where you lean back or at least not sitting forward. Urban environments (where most liberals live) and the more mountainous, switchback-y terrain would seem to lend itself to those bikes that are geared towards greater acceleration and turning ability.