Sign in to follow this  
CincyJim

"Liberal" means ... ?

On 2/19/2019 at 7:49 AM, CincyJim said:

The Oxford English Dictionary description OR your own version, whichever 'fits'. 

In these times a liberal is someone who understands the facts, is a good citizen, educated, cultured, and forward thinking. 

32958-1614-95n5u-a.jpg

a6d6dc6f7fcbb97e305bd032b6bbb785.jpg

liberal-propaganda.jpg

BlueDoggL -  Would you mind if I transfer a copy of the above     ^    ^    ^    into the pinned "What Makes A Liberal" thread?

On 2/21/2019 at 1:20 AM, bludog said:

BlueDoggL -  Would you mind if I transfer a copy of the above     ^    ^    ^    into the pinned "What Makes A Liberal" thread?

Do for it.

1 hour ago, BlueDoggL said:

Do for it.

Done.

Just now, bludog said:

Done.

Glad to help the cause of humanity and honesty.

Good deal! 

So when I think of the idea of American Exceptionalism, it's meaning which has been completely distorted into hegemony, and corporate greed. I kind of understand why it isn't really true, by its very definition any more. Actually, it was done in for long ago. What was done to the indigenous peoples, and then, slavery, and the beginnings of a slow at first subtle imperialism that screwed poor peoples in other parts of the world - in the name of exploitation. And sure, that sounds unpatriotic to say, at least it does to many people these days. Thus, you have a different construct of what the idea of Conservative even means to many these days. Noam Chomsky says in truth, he is a conservative. In its true meaning, that is. 

So, I think what we also need is a true definition of Conservatism, what it means as well. To me, the two words are not polar opposites, they way they are portrayed to be. In the US, conservatism has shifted so far to the right that it's almost completely reversed the meaning of conservatism. Part of what it means is to be prudent, regarding change, to understand the significance of preserving any policy that works, and why.

Peace!

Obviously, Climate Change that is man made, has been scientifically proven for decades now. To do nothing about it would not be considered a Prudent measure by any true conservative.