Sign in to follow this  
ExPDXer

Bezos:" proceed with whatever budget he needed to pursue the facts in this matter."

Fits right in with Trump's America.

Bezos is right about one thing:  If someone as powerful as he can't successfully oppose blackmail like this, victims with fewer resources have less of a chance, by far.  I have long admired the work of the Washington Post and maintain a digital subscription.  I have to respect Bezos for supporting his newspaper's mission.  On the other hand, it is a disgrace the way Bezos treats his workers, at Amazon.   But, IMO, that is no reason to wish him humiliated by an obviously corrupt and unscrupulous organization like AMI;  That is, if they really have the pictures they claim and if they really are willing to  reveal them should Bezos not capitulate.

Pecker, AMI and The National Inquirer, already were already conducting a sleazy business.  And they have crossed the line into political influence and extortion.  It sounds like they have extensive practice.  It would be a good thing if Bezos could shine a light on their covert practices.  Nevertheless, Bezos himself, needs to be brought under pressure to deliver justice to his employees.  It has been calculated that Bezos makes the annual salary of his lowest employees every 11.5 seconds !   I say that should not be allowed to stand. 

https://qz.com/work/1410621/jeff-bezos-makes-more-than-his-least-amazon-paid-worker-in-11-5-seconds/

Just my 2 cents.

The threshold of criminality for AMI may depend on whether they obtained the photos legally or not.  But the fact still remains that AMI tried to blackmail Bezos into giving good press to Trump.  During the campaign, AMI and the Inquirer conducted their self-styled "Catch and Kill" practice of paying to suppress unfavorable information about Trump while collecting and storing troublesome material.  Which leads one to surmise that the Inquirer may have a safe full of salacious material on Trump.

11 hours ago, bludog said:

I have long admired the work of the Washington Post and maintain a digital subscription.  I have to respect Bezos for supporting his newspaper's mission.

Yes, Bezos deserves credit for supporting the newspapers investigative mission.

I maintain a subscription also. The investigative reporting is excellent, and invaluable.

The Editorial Board is a different matter.......The routinely unload on progressive ideas, and candidates:

January, 2016:

Democrats would be insane to nominate Bernie Sanders

Bernie Sanders’s fiction-filled campaign

<snip>

"Mr. Sanders’s tale starts with the bad guys: Wall Street and corporate money. The existence of large banks and lax campaign finance laws explains why working Americans are not thriving, he says, and why the progressive agenda has not advanced. Here is a reality check: Wall Street has already undergone a round of reform, significantly reducing the risks big banks pose to the financial system. The evolution and structure of the world economy, not mere corporate deck-stacking, explained many of the big economic challenges the country still faces. And even with radical campaign finance reform, many Americans and their representatives would still oppose the Sanders agenda. "

"Sanders may be poised for a short-term political earthquake if he wins in Iowa and New Hampshire, but that hardly sounds like the makings of the long-range revolution he promises his followers. "

Sen. Sanders response:

“People are telling us, whether it’s The Washington Post editorial board or anybody else, our ideas are too ambitious, can’t happen. Too bold. Really? Well here’s something that is very, very bold. In the last 30 years there has been a massive transfer of wealth from the middle class and working families of this country. The middle class has become poorer and trillions of dollars have been transferred to the top one-tenth of 1 percent . . . Where was The Washington Post to express concern that the middle class was shrinking? . . . Where was the Washington Post talking about this radical transformation of America?”

"Where was The Washington Post editorial board when trillions of dollars left the hands of the middle class to go to the top one-tenth of 1 percent?”  

“And, by the way, getting back to The Washington Post, check out where all the geniuses on the editorial page were with regard to the invasion of Iraq.”

11 hours ago, bludog said:

Nevertheless, Bezos himself, needs to be brought under pressure to deliver justice to his employees.  It has been calculated that Bezos makes the annual salary of his lowest employees every 11.5 seconds !   I say that should not be allowed to stand. 

Absolutely!

Why hasn't Amazon shared it's success with it's worker's? Did they not contribute to the earnings? Have they ever considered Profit Sharing programs?

Bezos only recently relented to increasing his employees wage to $15 / hr.

It takes Bezos 12 milliseconds to earn $15.

I have nothing against Corporate executives making money, but I fail to see the national emergency of underpaid CEO's.

Teachers are underpaid. Nurses, Retail, and service sector employees are underpaid. But CEO's?

It seems like, while hard work, and dedication, and innovation can make you rich....

But, in order to be ultra rich, it always involves  exploitation of workers, consumers, and/or taxpayers in some combination.

Walmart, Amazon, and others have commoditized labor to the point of exploitation.

Monopolies (or near monopolies), exploit consumers by reducing competition.

The Finance sector exploits taxpayers through tax avoidance, bailouts, tax breaks, and offshore shelters.

Is it unreasonable to expect Corporate America to contribute to society by eliminating exploitation as a revenue stream?

Can't they just make a quality product, sell it at a reasonable profit, and share the rewards fairly with it's employees?

It that too much to ask?

10 minutes ago, bludog said:

The threshold of criminality for AMI may depend on whether they obtained the photos legally or not.  But the fact still remains that AMI tried to blackmail Bezos into giving good press to Trump.  During the campaign, AMI and the Inquirer conducted their self-styled "Catch and Kill" practice of paying to suppress unfavorable information about Trump while collecting and storing troublesome material.  Which leads one to surmise that the Inquirer may have a safe full of salacious material on Trump.

Obviously AMI is scum, always has been scum. What really bothers me about this story is not the Sextortion , it happens every day to ordinary people, who cannot afford investigators, and attorneys.

The FBI classifies sextortion as a form of online blackmail where explicit images are used to extort additional photos, sexual favors, and sometimes money from victims. It can involve hacking into a victim’s computer or “catfishing”.)

What really bothers me is that it seems to be a very sophisticated intelligence operation, that the Enquirer is not capable of. They typically have

armies of mercenary paparazzi, that they pay to get photos. Instead, these seem to come from cellphone transmissions. Bezos phone did not get hacked, and he was not cat-fished. The Saudi's could very well played a part in this, and the Mossad was mentioned as having the technology. But who knows?