bludog

Solar Powered/Plug In Electric Car - In The Works

Thanks to TheOldBarn for the link:    https://sonomotors.com/

This Sion solar powered/plug-in electric car is a very exciting development. 

What makes it unique are solar cells on the exterior which charge the li-ion battery for a range of 93 miles.  Of course charging is continuous while driving, so the charge is always renewing itself, depending on weather conditions.  For those times when the sun isn't enough, the battery can be charged from a wall outlet.  Power can also be shared with other Sions, if needed.

The car is reasonably priced and has plenty of power and speed equivalent to internal combustion powered cars.  It is rated to tow a medium sized trailer. 

The short range (93 miles) will mean that this car won't be useful for trips between most cities.

I confess I haven't watched the video. How good is the solar charging on a sunny day? Will it significantly extend the range?

My Honda CRV has a range over 240 mi in Tampa traffic. Although realistically, I fill it every two weeks after about 200 miles. (I don't live far from work, so I don't drive much.)

Here's the competition.

artboard-13x.png

I don't drive much between cities, and I park in the company lot in sunny Tampa. For someone like me, this car would originally be a pretty economical choice.

I love this idea so I post it once in a while.  Get around some of the hazards of hydrogen and it enables you to store solar as potential energy and transport it, refuel quickly, everything you like about gasoline.  Being able to produce the hydrogen efficiently, using some kind of renewable energy source (geo-thermal? hydro? wind?), and being able to safely handle the hydrogen...those are the hurdles.  The payoff is essentially limitless energy and a by-product of clean water.  That's quite the payoff, if I may say...  seems like it would be worth pursuing.  This is just a guy, granted with considerable resources and expertise, who has turned his car and house into a proof of concept.  If we pursue this the way we pursued the moon...  How much would that be worth?  What would it do to our economy, to human society, if energy were clean and free and nearly limitless?  200 years from now people would regard it as an advance on par with the advent of computers and networking, or flight, or the automobile.

https://hydrogenhouseproject.org/index.html

4 hours ago, laripu said:

I don't drive much between cities, and I park in the company lot in sunny Tampa. For someone like me, this car would originally be a pretty economical choice.

Damn autocorrect.  I meant probably, not originally.

6 hours ago, laripu said:

How good is the solar charging on a sunny day? Will it significantly extend the range?

That's an important question.  IIRC, the literature doesn't stipulate anything more than "fast charging".  It's understood that changing weather conditions preclude providing real-life charging times.  But if the company provided charging time in bright sunlight, at a certain latitude and time of year, it would be enlightening.  Because, if you're traveling between cities, the full charge of 93 miles won't cut it.  And then there are overcasts and night driving.

98% of my driving time is within a radius of about 40 miles.  Most of that in daylight.  And the weather here is sunny most of the time.  So I could do most of my driving without any fuel cost or environmental damage, beyond the resources it took to build the car.  But I will only own one car at a time.  And I want longer range capability to always be on tap if needed/desired.

3 hours ago, splunch said:

Being able to produce the hydrogen efficiently, using some kind of renewable energy source (geo-thermal? hydro? wind?), and being able to safely handle the hydrogen...those are the hurdles.  The payoff is essentially limitless energy and a by-product of clean water.  That's quite the payoff, if I may say...  seems like it would be worth pursuing. 

Absolutely.  producing hydrogen from renewable energy sources overcomes the time problem.  All the time is spent beforehand, producing the hydrogen rather than waiting for full solar battery charge.  But direct solar does eliminate the danger factor. 

The problems with solar are inadequate battery capacity and slow charge times.  Both are gradually improving.  If they ever catch up to fossil fuels or hydrogen, direct solar would be better than anything else, except, maybe, fusion.

24 minutes ago, bludog said:

Absolutely.  producing hydrogen from renewable energy sources overcomes the time problem.  All the time is spent beforehand, producing the hydrogen rather than waiting for full solar battery charge.  But direct solar does eliminate the danger factor. 

The problems with solar are inadequate battery capacity and slow charge times.  Both are gradually improving.  If they ever catch up to fossil fuels or hydrogen, direct solar would be better than anything else, except, maybe, fusion.

We have to clean up the manufacturing and disposal of the solar panels themselves, though.  That's a big problem.  If we push their efficiency to where they can realistically replace gasoline, they'll multiply like rabbits, and then we've got an ocean of fairly nasty solar panels to dispose of. We must tap geo-thermal or wind or something, or come up with a better solar panel.  

These are just good ideas put into practice. This is exciting for me and it should be for young people interested in working for companies that make a difference in our world. The question is, if we didn't live in a rigged economic system, would people still innovate, would they still marvel in creating technology that can make our world a better place to live in?

The answer is I think, hell yes!