6 hours ago, BlueDoggL said:

Are you certain you have RA?

I say a video of a woman RA on a riding mower who got swarmed by killer bees. She was covered with them a cop got the off her with a fire extinguisher. She spent months in the hospital and nearly died. 

Long story short, the bee stings cured her RA. 

No, thank you.  I'll stick with the slower version.

6 hours ago, LoreD said:

No, thank you.  I'll stick with the slower version.

It's quite radical. People get bee venom therapy for other auto-immune diseases.

2 minutes ago, BlueDoggL said:

It's quite radical. People get bee venom therapy for other auto-immune diseases.

I know.  I have arthritis in my right hand, left ankle, and upper back.  It is painful on cold mornings, but I am still able to manage.  The moringa, turmeric tea, and the cbd oil are working well.   I have, also, used cobra venom and that has worked well.

I will investigate the bee sting therapy.  

Thank you for the info.

9 hours ago, laripu said:

Some impressive statistics, even though they discourage it:

https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home/features/alternative-meds-update/bee-venom-therapy-too-risky-for-treating-osteoarthritis-ra-inflammation/

This site says ours possibly ineffective:

https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-972/bee-venom

Other sites say it's effective. One side effect that it's an anti coagulant.

If someone wants this therapy, they should do a lot of reading first, to evaluate. I prefer the long story.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/bee-venom-is-snake-oil/

https://texasorthopedic.com/hl/?/13504/Medicinal-Uses-of-Bee-Venom

I don't trust big pharma's motives or pills. I suspect that the put down natural cures for profit motives. It it can't be patented, they don't want it around.

Did you that when drugs are evaluated for efficacy and safety the company that makes the drug does the clinical trials and then reports to their buddies at the FDA? Can you think of a disease that has been cured since polio? 

The money is not in cures. The money is in disease management/exploitation. This is IMO the biggest reason we need government run health care. Because I'm a Christian I find medicine for profit and in the US medicine is for obscene profit to be pure evil and Ayn Randian. 

11 minutes ago, LoreD said:

I know.  I have arthritis in my right hand, left ankle, and upper back.  It is painful on cold mornings, but I am still able to manage.  The moringa, turmeric tea, and the cbd oil are working well.   I have, also, used cobra venom and that has worked well.

I will investigate the bee sting therapy.  

Thank you for the info.

Have you tried royal jelly or raw honey? I was told that local raw honey taken during the winter prevents allergies from pollen.

Royal Jelly for Arthritis - bee-pollen-buzz.com

53 minutes ago, BlueDoggL said:

I don't trust big pharma's motives or pills. I suspect that the put down natural cures for profit motives. It it can't be patented, they don't want it around.

Did you that when drugs are evaluated for efficacy and safety the company that makes the drug does the clinical trials and then reports to their buddies at the FDA? Can you think of a disease that has been cured since polio? 

I didn't post links from big pharma.  I posted a variety of links and suggested that people do a lot of reading first, to evaluate for themselves the benefits and risks.

These are the players in big pharma:  Johnson & Johnson, Novartis, Pfizer, Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, Eli Lilly.  None of my links are from them.

Moreover the refiners and sellers of apitoxin (bee venom) are also ... guess what ... companies, that operate for profit.

But maybe you don't want your venom refined.  Maybe you want it straight from the bee, in the form of stings. Okie dokie, but I suggest there's an inherent risk in that too.  People should evaluate for themselves whether getting bee stings carries a greater risk than getting it from a refined source.... or not getting it at all.

Notice, I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying that people should read, learn and evaluate for themselves.

Here's my use for honey: damn good mead.

Unpasteurized, fermented with Champagne yeast and naturally carbonated.

I think I'll have some tonight with dinner.  ☺️

37015421742_d03f6563fe_b.jpg

8 minutes ago, laripu said:

I didn't post links from big pharma.  I posted a variety of links and suggested that people do a lot of reading first, to evaluate for themselves the benefits and risks.

These are the players in big pharma:  Johnson & Johnson, Novartis, Pfizer, Merck, GlaxoSmithKline, Eli Lilly.  None of my links are from them.

Moreover the refiners and sellers of apitoxin (bee venom) are also ... guess what ... companies, that operate for profit.

But maybe you don't want your venom refined.  Maybe you want it straight from the bee, in the form of stings. Okie dokie, but I suggest there's an inherent risk in that too.  People should evaluate for themselves whether getting bee stings carries a greater risk than getting it from a refined source.... or not getting it at all.

Notice, I'm not saying it's bad. I'm saying that people should read, learn and evaluate for themselves.

If something can't be patented, big pharma won't want it. 

There are a lot of supplement scammers out there and Dr Oz is one of them. They make claims and then say "These statements were not evaluated by the FDA.

This is a good site Earth Clinic - Official Site because it's real people vouching for natural cures. https://www.askapatient.com is a good site because it has real patients talking about their prescription drugs. I think you may find it helpful.

10 minutes ago, laripu said:

Here's my use for honey: damn good mead.

Unpasteurized, fermented with Champagne yeast and naturally carbonated.

I think I'll have some tonight with dinner.  ☺️

37015421742_d03f6563fe_b.jpg

Mead is damn wonderful.

2 hours ago, BlueDoggL said:

Mead is damn wonderful.

It was. (Doesn't seem to help with arthritic pain, though, unfortunately.)

I drank one 12 oz bottle, and cooked a pound of spinach with another bottle, along with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, sour cream, and grated parmesan. Some herbed & spiced turkey meatballs on top.

I wanted to do some shopping and cooking tonight, something different than my all-day software engineering. Cooking/brewing is my go-to relaxation.

My "leaves and balls" in ginger mead was praised by SWMBO. 😊

I have about another dozen bottles of that left. I'll be bottling another 6 gallons in May or June. In the meantime, there's so much backlog of mead and beer that when I eventually get too old and stop brewing, I'll have two years left. (I typically gave one drink a day.)

Sometime in May I'll start a batch of traditional mead from buckwheat honey, bought here last August during a business trip to Montreal. To be first drunk when I retire. I started my software engineering career with a buckwheat mead in 1991, and there's one bottle of that left. This next one will be the closing parenthesis.

5 minutes ago, laripu said:

It was. (Doesn't seem to help with arthritic pain, though, unfortunately.)

I drank one 12 oz bottle, and cooked a pound of spinach with another bottle, along with salt, pepper, garlic, onion, sour cream, and grated parmesan. Some herbed & spiced turkey meatballs on top.

I wanted to do some shopping and cooking tonight, something different than my all-day software engineering. Cooking/brewing is my go-to relaxation.

My "leaves and balls" in ginger mead was praised by SWMBO. 😊

I have about another dozen bottles of that left. I'll be bottling another 6 gallons in May or June. In the meantime, there's so much backlog of mead and beer that when I eventually get too old and stop brewing, I'll have two years left. (I typically gave one drink a day.)

Sometime in May I'll start a batch of traditional mead from buckwheat honey, bought here last August during a business trip to Montreal. To be first drunk when I retire. I started my software engineering career with a buckwheat mead in 1991, and there's one bottle of that left. This next one will be the closing parenthesis.

Making mead ain't cheap. What is it costing you per bottle to produce?

Not so long ago I discovered cider.  I made apple wine once and I have a friend  who makes  sparking apple cider.  I don't have a source of crab apples now. 

I hope that the bee population recovers. Some suspect GMO crops and others think it's caused by mites. 

2 hours ago, BlueDoggL said:

I hope that the bee population recovers. Some suspect GMO crops and others think it's caused by mites.

I earnestly hope so too.  The main cause of bee decline, is insecticides. 

http://sos-bees.org/causes/

29 minutes ago, bludog said:

I earnestly hope so too.  The main cause of bee decline, is insecticides. 

http://sos-bees.org/causes/

EPA Finally Admits What Has Been Killing Bees For Decades

GMOs play a role because they use more pesticides on GMO plants. 

Honeybees are not native to North America and we could survive without them. They were brought to here in the 1600's. That said, the same things that are killing our honey bees are probably killing other beneficial insects. 

Honey Bees: A History - The New York Times

9 hours ago, BlueDoggL said:

Making mead ain't cheap. What is it costing you per bottle to produce?

It depends on the honey and the type of mead.

For ginger mead, the honey isn't the point, so I use 10 lb Sam's Club honey, about $28. Also 3 lb if DME, $15 and a couple of gallons of Sam's apple juice, $5. Ginger, about $5. Other minor ingredients, maybe $2. So that's $55 for 65 12-oz bottles.

For a traditional mead I'd use 12 to 14 lbs of some varietal honey, but no other ingredients. The Canadian buckwheat honey is very high quality and inexpensive due to the exchange rate and the fact that they're way out in the country, so low rent. Cost is 3kg for CAD $26. I buy two, so 13.2 lbs for CAD $52 = US $39 ... an insanely good price for excellent varietal honey.

But I can't depend on business trips to Montreal. Florida orange blossom honey, in the 1 gallon = 12 pound size, runs around $60, but to get that size and price you have to drive to the beekeeper.

More expensive than Bug-geyser. ☺️

But all that is the wrong comparison. It's a hobby, so the point is doing it, not what it costs.

It takes about a year to mature in bulk, then another 3 to 6 months in the bottle. So 15 to 18 months before I drink it.

5 hours ago, laripu said:

It depends on the honey and the type of mead.

For ginger mead, the honey isn't the point, so I use 10 lb Sam's Club honey, about $28. Also 3 lb if DME, $15 and a couple of gallons of Sam's apple juice, $5. Ginger, about $5. Other minor ingredients, maybe $2. So that's $55 for 65 12-oz bottles.

For a traditional mead I'd use 12 to 14 lbs of some varietal honey, but no other ingredients. The Canadian buckwheat honey is very high quality and inexpensive due to the exchange rate and the fact that they're way out in the country, so low rent. Cost is 3kg for CAD $26. I buy two, so 13.2 lbs for CAD $52 = US $39 ... an insanely good price for excellent varietal honey.

But I can't depend on business trips to Montreal. Florida orange blossom honey, in the 1 gallon = 12 pound size, runs around $60, but to get that size and price you have to drive to the beekeeper.

More expensive than Bug-geyser. ☺️

But all that is the wrong comparison. It's a hobby, so the point is doing it, not what it costs.

It takes about a year to mature in bulk, then another 3 to 6 months in the bottle. So 15 to 18 months before I drink it.

I read something about rooftop honey from NYC of all places. It seems that there are a huge variety of exotic plants. You may find this interesting. Melbourne City Rooftop Honey Raw Honey | Manhattan Rooftop Honey Flight | Bee Raw

17 hours ago, BlueDoggL said:

I read something about rooftop honey from NYC of all places. It seems that there are a huge variety of exotic plants. You may find this interesting. Melbourne City Rooftop Honey Raw Honey | Manhattan Rooftop Honey Flight | Bee Raw

I do find it interesting, but like a lot of stuff from NYC, it's very expensive. I also wonder about the health of bees in that environment.

Here's an old story. Back in 1996, an old friend was going to get married. I made a batch of ginger/galangal mead for her and her husband, which I called Honeymoonition. It had the following bit of doggerel on the label:

The Mead Maker's Advice

If you dance at your wedding and trip on your feet

your bride's family will take no offense.

And if you leave early in a shower of rice

all will say "that makes very good sense".

You can plaster the groom's face with wedding cake

and your in-laws will not start a fight.

But it's very bad form in all cultures and lands

to get puke-drunk first honeymoon night.

They soon had a son ... so maybe it was effective ... but later got divorced, so no long-term effects ... but the son is now studying theoretical physics, so that's a win. 😆

I do find it interesting, but like a lot of stuff from NYC, it's very expensive. I also wonder about the health of bees in that environment.

I think the bees to fine. NYC has mass transit and NYS has good environmental laws.

Here's an old story. Back in 1996, an old friend was going to get married. I made a batch of ginger/galangal mead for her and her husband, which I called Honeymoonition. It had the following bit of doggerel on the label:

The Mead Maker's Advice

If you dance at your wedding and trip on your feet

your bride's family will take no offense.

And if you leave early in a shower of rice

all will say "that makes very good sense".

You can plaster the groom's face with wedding cake

and your in-laws will not start a fight.

But it's very bad form in all cultures and lands

to get puke-drunk first honeymoon night.

They soon had a son ... so maybe it was effective ... but later got divorced, so no long-term effects ... but the son is now studying theoretical physics, so that's a win. 😆

I have a friend who is a wedding officiant. He works with a lot of rich NYC bridezillas. He could use a few glasses of mead. 

I make a chocolate pudding with avocados, honey, cocoa powder and a little coconut milk. It's really tasty and healthy.

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

It is an autoimmune disease, which is different from plain old arthritis.

In my mid-60s, it hit me. From the first symptoms to pain in virtually every joint, it was about 4 weeks.

In other words, it was fast.

29 minutes ago, peter45 said:

I have Rheumatoid Arthritis.

It is an autoimmune disease, which is different from plain old arthritis.

In my mid-60s, it hit me. From the first symptoms to pain in virtually every joint, it was about 4 weeks.

In other words, it was fast.

The medication that I take is generic, so I think that it is the cheapest available.

The government (Medicare Part D) pays a fortune for it.

If I could buy it in Canada, it would be cheaper than what I pay in premiums to Blue Cross for the Part D, so I could just drop the insurance.

Medicare Part D has got to be the biggest political boondoggle ever. It isn't the biggest, I am sure, but it is the most obvious, that the politicians don't want to pay attention to.

I have been on the medication for more than 10 years now.

Recently, for other reasons, the doctor cut the dose in half.

I am back to full dose now, but there is a long lead time until it takes effect.

So, I have been a "couch potato" since before Christmas.

Hopefully, in a few weeks I will feel like doing something again.

Frankly, since the prescription medication only reduces the pain from very bad, to "at least I can get out of the chair", I doubt if I would ever try anything else.

I realize that before I came down with the RA, I was getting the symptoms of regular arthritis, so I am probably fighting the symptoms of both.

I also realize that, if I remember correctly, I came down with the RA as a child. Give or take, 7 or 8 years old.

I stayed in bed, at home, for maybe 4 - 5 weeks, then it just went away.

Years later, I asked the pediatrician what I had had. I didn't get an actual answer. I am not sure it was as recognized back then.

But my age at the time would have been consistent with the possibility of a reaction to a vaccine. I have heard this explanation has been suggested.

However, having seen my uncle suffer with polio for most of his life, I'll take the RA instead. Not that I have a choice, of course.

Anyhow, good luck to anyone in the same condition.

And yes, it sucks to get old.

I am super pleased.  I have 100% improvement on the little finger.  No pain, no joint snapping, and bends easily.  The middle finger is about 90% improved.  I can bend it easily, even though it still hurts a little.    The ankle is still a little stiff, but it is improving.  

The neck has stopped hurting, and the headaches are gone.  I'm sleeping a lot better because I'm not constantly moving around trying to get comfortable.

Surprisingly, the acid reflux disappeared, too.