bludog

The Song Of The Good Neighbor

This is a song from my earliest childhood which, I think, had a big impact on me.  I had forgotten much of it (unavailable on Google) but a new member stumbled on a post of mine from 2016.  In it, I posted the few lines  I could remember.   Here are the complete lyrics.  Thanks ChescoLiberal.

If only we could bring back the spirit of this song.

The Song Of The Good Neighbor

🎵🎵 🎵

Let's sing the song of a good neighbor

Let us sing in harmony.

Let's sing a song to show we belong to

One big, happy family.

Let's get along like a good neighbor

Good, good neighbors who are free.

Si, si amigo

Wherever we go

Good, good neighbors we will be.

So let's extend a helping hand

Across the Rio Grande

And help each other, too

As all good neighbors do.

Oh. let's sing the song of a good neighbor

'Til it echoes o'er the sea.

Si, si amigo

Wherever we go

Good, good neighbors we will be.

bludog -- Apparently that song left its mark on me, too.  By some chance, did you happen to spend your early years in Brooklyn?  Just wondering if we might have been schoolmates. 

20 minutes ago, ChescoLiberal said:

Just wondering if we might have been schoolmates. 

Unlikely.  I grew up in the Bronx until I was 9.   I must have listened to it when I was about 6 or 7.  My parents had a record with that song on it and I listened to it at home.  I also recall a book called "The Forgotten Village", which was text with poignant black and white photos of a poor Mexican village.  After 9, I was in a different place, altogether, but I always remembered.

50 minutes ago, bludog said:

I also recall a book called "The Forgotten Village", which was text with poignant black and white photos of a poor Mexican village.

Amazing what you can Google.   You can buy an old copy of the book.   It was also a film, written by John Steinbeck.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Forgotten_Village       http://www.steinbeckinstitute.org/forgotten.html

14568.jpg?v=1452128296

p46437_v_v8_aa.jpg

1 hour ago, laripu said:

Amazing what you can Google. 

Wow !  And thanks.  That book was mentally sealed up, so deep in the past that, unlike the song, I never even thunk to google it. :blink:    But now that you opened that doorway, I will definitely get a copy.  As a child, I didn't know who John Steinbeck was.  But now the author becomes very significant.