guilluamezenz

Trump has caused the swamp to be drained but he is the still biggest turd in the swamp

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/opinion/sunday/under-trump-the-swamp-is-draining.html He is the gasoline that did not light the fire but caused us all to notice how bad things really are

The story of rich-guy pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, just written up in exhaustive detail by The Miami Herald, is a perfect example — a pedophilia scandal hidden in plain sight, in which a wealthy abuser got off with a slap on the wrist because he had a bipartisan group of allies and there was an incentive not to embarrass the powerful people who might have frequented his parties or taken rides on his plane. A crucial player, the prosecutor who let Epstein slide, is now the Trump administration’s labor secretary — but instead of being a seedy Trumpworld figure, Alexander Acosta is an eminently respectable, big-law figure. Not a grifter; just an exemplar of the American elite.

11 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

No, he has not caused the swamp to be drained. This is not the first pro-trump thing I've seen you post.

did, you provide no evidence for your claim, you read the article? can you read, and what pro trump article did i post pray tell?   nor provide evidence for your secondary claim that i have posted pro trump articles, is it a crime to post pro trump articles in a free speech  forum? if you had read the article if you can read it said he hd mad things so bad that people finally have had enough and are finally doing something about the mess, he had poured gasoline on a camp fire dumb ass learn to fukin read

6 hours ago, guilluamezenz said:

The story of rich-guy pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, just written up in exhaustive detail by The Miami Herald, is a perfect example — a pedophilia scandal hidden in plain sight, in which a wealthy abuser got off with a slap on the wrist because he had a bipartisan group of allies and there was an incentive not to embarrass the powerful people who might have frequented his parties or taken rides on his plane.

Also from the article:

But there is one odd way in which Trump’s supporters have gotten what they wanted. Trump isn’t draining the swamp himself, but the shock of his ascent has created swamp-draining conditions — in which other corruptions have suddenly been exposed, and there have been many deserved falls from grace.

It is true that the undisguised corruption and overt lack of ethics is shining a spotlight on the abuses and unlawful privilege of powerful elites.  So many are being exposed that it could almost seem that ALL rich, powerful people are equally corrupted.  And Trump's lack of embarrassment and willingness to brag about such things is self-defeating and tends to expose the appointees and cronies surrounding him.

So if and when the Nation goes back to a more dignified, restrained and capable executive, where abuses of privileged elites tend to be swept under the rug, and stay there;  Will people remember?  Will we learn a lesson from this time when the swamp is so clearly, laid bare for everyone to see?    Or will the abuses which are becoming so transparent now, be forgotten once they are out of sight again?

As a brit across the pond it seems to me that Trump has not so much drained the swamp as replaced it with a swamp in his own image and his pledge is finally gathering momentum as his chosen advisers are either prosecuted, jailed or simply fired. But what do i know.

16 hours ago, AlanMckennedy said:

As a brit across the pond it seems to me that Trump has not so much drained the swamp as replaced it with a swamp in his own image and his pledge is finally gathering momentum as his chosen advisers are either prosecuted, jailed or simply fired. But what do i know.

Being a Brit across the pond does not invalidate your opinions.

Being an American citizen of Canadian origin does not invalidate mine.

Nor is my opinion less valid when I opine that Brexit is a huge mistake that plays into Putin's geopolitical strategy.

And your opinion about Trump, that he has not eliminated corruption, but rather made it his own, is spot on. If he were to be prosecuted for betrayal of our country's interests and imprisoned for life, I would be (as Brits might put it) "chuffed to bits".  😊

Maybe it's time to lose the swamp metaphor.

Real swamps are places full of life. When they are drained, probably to be replaced by ugly strip malls, that life is displaced. Draining real swamps kills animals.

I'd rather call what Trump does corrupt, and possibly treasonous. And what his Washington cohorts do is greedily corrupt. May their prison cells be uncomfortable.

An erstwhile view of a swamp:

240px-Pogo_-_Earth_Day_1971_poster.jpg

2 hours ago, laripu said:

Maybe it's time to lose the swamp metaphor.

Real swamps are places full of life.

Amen to that laripu.  Swamps have gotten an unjustifiably bad reputation, in some quarters.   Trump's crew needs another name like maybe "The Sewer"  or "The Cesspool".

240px-Pogo_-_Earth_Day_1971_poster.jpg    From Earth Day, 1971.  I haven't seen a Pogo comic strip since way back when.

2 hours ago, bludog said:

From Earth Day, 1971.  I haven't seen a Pogo comic strip since way back when.

I loved it when I was a kid. I particularly liked the butterfly with false teeth that went around chomping on the swamp critters. And the dog that was a caricature of J Edgar Hoover. ☺️

On 1/21/2019 at 2:31 PM, guilluamezenz said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/01/opinion/sunday/under-trump-the-swamp-is-draining.html He is the gasoline that did not light the fire but caused us all to notice how bad things really are

The story of rich-guy pedophile Jeffrey Epstein, just written up in exhaustive detail by The Miami Herald, is a perfect example — a pedophilia scandal hidden in plain sight, in which a wealthy abuser got off with a slap on the wrist because he had a bipartisan group of allies and there was an incentive not to embarrass the powerful people who might have frequented his parties or taken rides on his plane. A crucial player, the prosecutor who let Epstein slide, is now the Trump administration’s labor secretary — but instead of being a seedy Trumpworld figure, Alexander Acosta is an eminently respectable, big-law figure. Not a grifter; just an exemplar of the American elite.

Trump likes him young just like Mohammad. 

One of the mods keeps signing me out and when I try to sign in my password won't work until I reset it and then they do it again.

On 1/21/2019 at 5:45 PM, bludog said:

So if and when the Nation goes back to a more dignified, restrained and capable executive, where abuses of privileged elites tend to be swept under the rug, and stay there;  Will people remember?  Will we learn a lesson from this time when the swamp is so clearly, laid bare for everyone to see?    Or will the abuses which are becoming so transparent now, be forgotten once they are out of sight again?

I think the mere fact that Trump was elected in the first place suggests that those abuses and corruption were not all that invisible, and people did notice, and they will not forget.  

I mean...they voted for Donald Trump...

On 2/2/2019 at 2:14 PM, laripu said:

Being a Brit across the pond does not invalidate your opinions.

Being an American citizen of Canadian origin does not invalidate mine.

Nor is my opinion less valid when I opine that Brexit is a huge mistake that plays into Putin's geopolitical strategy.

And your opinion about Trump, that he has not eliminated corruption, but rather made it his own, is spot on. If he were to be prosecuted for betrayal of our country's interests and imprisoned for life, I would be (as Brits might put it) "chuffed to bits".  😊

Brexit is not a 'mistake' more an effing disaster!

1 hour ago, AlanMckennedy said:

Brexit is not a 'mistake' more an effing disaster!

Pardon my stereotypical American reticence and reserve. 😉😜:rolleyes:

On 1/21/2019 at 5:45 PM, bludog said:

It's not purity we need. It's restrained abuse.

For example, it's typically understood to be an abuse if a senator asks an aide to pick up concert tickets for the senator and spouse (and reimburses). The aide isn't there to do personal errands for a senator.

But I'll forgive that. People do favors for each other. Senators are often busy.

When the senator takes family vacations on the public dime, that's when I take exception. And the legalized bribery of Citizens United is just wrong.