Craig234

I like butterflies

Monarch butterflies are 86% gone in California recently, and on the way to extinction.

Part of 60% of all wildlife globally being gone in the last 50 years. This should be a leading news story every day, and is practically never mentioned.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/us/monarch-butterflies-decline-trnd/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/30/humanity-wiped-out-animals-since-1970-major-report-finds

55 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

Monarch butterflies are 86% gone in California recently, and on the way to extinction.

Part of 60% of all wildlife globally being gone in the last 50 years. This should be a leading news story every day, and is practically never mentioned.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/07/us/monarch-butterflies-decline-trnd/index.html

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/oct/30/humanity-wiped-out-animals-since-1970-major-report-finds

they go to mexico- a lot of territory was sold, but one village is dedicated to them.

"In 1996, the butterfly population in the Monarch Butterfly Biosphere Reserve was estimated at one billion, occupying 21 hectares of forest.

The 2013-2014 population plummeted to 33 million, covering 0.67 hectares, the lowest ever in the 20 years since measuring and counting began.

The main culprit for this precipitous decline is no longer logging in the reserve (although that still takes place) but the huge increase in land planted with genetically modified, herbicide resistant soybean and corn crops (93 percent of total soybean acreage and 85 percent of corn acreage in 2013) in the U.S. Corn Belt. Relentless spraying of glyphosate herbicides on the fields has destroyed the once abundant milkweed, the only plants that monarch caterpillars can eat. The monarch butterfly is literally being starved to death."

When I first arrived in Tampa in 1997, there was overhead spraying for mosquitoes, from helicopters. They told people to stay indoors during those times. That was stupid, and it became rare to see butterflies.

Then the spraying stopped; I'm not sure why. Maybe people complained? At the time I wasn't a citizen yet. I was in the US on a NAFTA visa, and felt I didn't have the right to get involved politically. I kept my head down and just worked.

Anyway, the spraying stopped, and the butterflies came back. I see them around my house fairly often, when I'm home. But mostly, because habits die hard, I just keep my head down and work.

Butterflies are some of the most beautiful creatures on earth.  But their rapid disappearance is only a small part of of the vast wildlife population crash that has accompanied human population growth. 

We are witnessing the Sixth Mass Extinction on earth and the only one caused by a species:---  Ourselves.

What many either don't realize or deny is that the annihilation of species is more dangerous than climate change.  "Wildlife and the ecosystems are vital to human life".  Many times in NHB or real life, people say things like "What does it matter to me if the Blue Amazonian Tree Frog disappears".  This attitude is profoundly ignorant (and dangerous).

We need mass publicity campaigns and education to inform people just how dangerous the situation is.  But those who are making big profits from the exploitation and despoiling of the environment tend to rationalize and dismiss the danger.  And they have funded large disinformation campaigns which contradict the extreme menace to our own species, that nearly all scientists recognize.

When I was a kid of maybe 6 or 7, in the Bronx, NY,  I came across a number of bushes where hundreds of Monarch Butterflies had emerged beside their chrysalises, perched on twigs.  These beautiful creatures were slowly working their wings, evidently in preparation for flight.  I stood in silent awe as I watched this natural phenomenon.

Catching butterflies was a sport among us kids and I experienced anxiety for the safety of so many in this, most vulnerable state.  I knew kids who would have killed as many as they could.   But I stood there, I don't know how long without anyone else showing up.  Eventually, I went home for supper, hoping the butterflies would soon be ready for takeoff.  I went back the next day and was glad to see, they had all gone, evidently without interference.

4 hours ago, bludog said:

"What does it matter to me if the Blue Amazonian Tree Frog disappears".  This attitude is profoundly ignorant (and dangerous).

Nature will find a balance.  If any number of species disappear, balance will return.

The only problem is that the new balance may not support human life. The Sixth Mass Extinction will either end because we stop causing it, or it will kill us and then end of its own accord.

7 hours ago, laripu said:

The only problem is that the new balance may not support human life. The Sixth Mass Extinction will either end because we stop causing it, or it will kill us and then end of its own accord.

As things stand now, the problems of global warming and mass extinctions are being treated with impressive lip-service, and woefully inadequate, preventive action, even in places where some efforts are being made.. 

Countries like notably, India and China, about 36% of the world's population, are rapidly industrializing and using more internal combustion for transportation.  And at the same time exploiting more natural resources and releasing more CO2, methane and pollutants into the air and water.  These two nations alone more than cancel out even the most progressive countries' feeble attempts to reduce energy consumption and greenhouse gas emissions.

The world's largest carbon emitter, the US, has been digging in its heels, with no perceivable objective in sight.  Other countries have set goals to limit carbon emissions but nowhere has actual performance been anywhere near stated intentions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/energy-environment/2018/11/27/countries-vowed-cut-carbon-emissions-they-arent-even-close-their-goals-un-report-finds/?utm_term=.66440af26ad1

Unless the entire world mobilizes to fight pollution/global warming, and fast, the least we can expect is a massive, human population crash and biological armageddon. It's a question of when, not if.

A problem is that the US - 5% of the world's population - has adopted the use of resources so high that the planet cannot begin to copy the same use of resources to the rest of the world.

But there is no mechanism in place to say, 'we get the benefits, and you can't have them' - and no moral justification for doing so even if we could, other than the thin morality of saying, 'only a few can enjoy the benefits, so we'll take them. At least that's better than the disaster of the widespread use of such resources'.

And so it's critical for the largest user of those resources - the US - to lead in adopting more sustainable, universalizable use of resources, instead of leading a race to the bottom. And that's why the opponents of doing so - those who profit from the excessive use of resources - are so dangerous and evil, preventing the US public from doing the right thing.

2 hours ago, Craig234 said:

And so it's critical for the largest user of those resources - the US - to lead in adopting more sustainable, universalizable use of resources, instead of leading a race to the bottom.

Absolutely correct.  If there is to be any hope at all for other nations to start getting serious about leaving low carbon footprints, the US, the world's most profligate resource consumer, by far, has to take the lead.

Maybe there is still hope:

https://www.npr.org/2017/04/30/526250791/thousands-march-in-d-c-to-protest-trump-climate-policies

Thousands March In D.C. To Protest Trump Climate Policies

LOVE butterflies and hummingbirds and plan to plant all of the milkweed I can this year to help them out.  

"It would not be uncommon to see a monarch butterfly enjoying the natural juices from fruits like bananas, oranges and especially watermelon, which is a very juicy fruit.
Monarch butterflies also drink the nectar from a variety of plants. Nectar is a sweet, sugary liquid produced in plants. Plants such as red clover, alfalfa, thistle and wild carrot are good sources of food for the monarch butterfly. Monarch butterflies are also attracted to the nectar from flowers like lilacs and golden rods.
One plant that offers more than just nourishment for monarch butterflies is milkweed. When monarch butterflies drink the juice from milkweed, it makes their bodies poisonous to predators.
There are more than twenty different types of milkweed plants available for monarch butterflies across the Untied States. Some different types of milkweed include California milkweed, swamp milkweed and common milkweed."

People seem to be talking more about this situation, and I'm happy they are.    We're spreading the word along with lots of other folks who care!  I can't imagine not giving a dam about it.

A new report makes this the time to acknowledge the importance of methane as equal to or exceeding CO2 as a cause of global warming.    Methane currently accounts for 16% of anthropogenically emitted greenhouse gasses, but its warming impact is TWENTY EIGHT times that of CO2.

Sorry if this topic offends some people, but cutting way back on worldwide consumption of red meat has to be one of the first steps in slowing down global warming.  The livestock industry, which is responsible for most of the methane emitted into air, must be drastically downsized.  The only way for that to happen is if people replace nearly all meat and dairy with nuts, fruits, vegetables and legumes.

https://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2019/01/17/civilization-facing-crisis-if-humans-dont-cut-back-on-eating-red-meat-scientists-warn/

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) — A new report says our civilization is in crisis if people don’t start cutting back on eating red meat. The report comes with a diet that would protect our health and planet.

An international panel of experts called for a transformation in the way we eat and their plan is designed to save lives and the world we live in.

Americans currently consume more than six times the recommendation for red meat, even though cattle are one of the biggest culprits in producing greenhouse gas.

“Our goal is to define a pathway whereby we can feed 10 billion people who will inhabit earth by 2050,” said Dr. Walter Willett, a professor at the Harvard School of Public Health.

Scientists say civilization is in crisis, but our diet can be the solution.

A new report suggests a radical change in the way we eat is needed, starting with strict limits on red meat.

“It corresponds to roughly one fairly good-size hamburger per week,” Dr. Willett said. “Or if you like a big juicy steak, once a month.”

-snip-

https://www.epa.gov/ghgemissions/global-greenhouse-gas-emissions-data

Global GHG emissions by gas: 65% is from carbon dioxide fossil fuel use and industrial processes. 11% is from carbon dioxide deforestation, decay of biomass, etc. 16% is from methane. 6% is from nitrous oxide and 2% is from fluorinated gases.

The red meat and especially the burger culture must grind to a halt if we are to cut down on emissions of methane.  Reducing the livestock industry to a fraction of the size it is now would also reduce the amount of nitrous oxide emitted by the growing of livestock feed.  Nitrous oxide has TWO HUNDRED AND NINETY EIGHT times the global warming potential of CO2.  Growing plant food for people requires far less agriculture than growing food for livestock.

1 hour ago, Craig234 said:

I like burgers, and will cut back.

Now all that's needed is for another few billion people to do the same.:D

It's been shown that beef production requires about160 times more land and produces11 times more greenhouse gases, than growing staples like potatoes, wheat and rice, to feed the same amount of people.  Eating less red meat would be a better way for people to slow global warming than giving up their cars.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2014/jul/21/giving-up-beef-reduce-carbon-footprint-more-than-cars

It's not easy. In addition to all the chains including in-n-out, we have some great independent burger options, such as:

00-00-01-24-55-55-1245555_2211819.jpg

Bludog, do you have any info on comparing the climate effect from the average American's use of cars to their eating of red meat?

5 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

It's not easy. In addition to all the chains including in-n-out, we have some great independent burger options, such as:

00-00-01-24-55-55-1245555_2211819.jpg

What an undigested myocardial infarction looks like.

5 minutes ago, Craig234 said:

Bludog, do you have any info on comparing the climate effect from the average American's use of cars to their eating of red meat?

For a long time, cars were "the golden standard for environmental destruction."  But more recently, the true impact on global warming of livestock, especially beef, has been better recognized.

https://www.ecowatch.com/which-is-worse-for-the-planet-beef-or-cars-1919932136.html

-snip-

Livestock emissions make up anywhere between 14.5 and 18 percent of total global greenhouse gas emissions. Comparably, the transportation sector is responsible for around 14 percent of emissions. By those numbers alone, our current system of meat production is extremely damaging. Perhaps more looming, however, is that while transportation creates CO2, livestock farming is hugely responsible for producing methane. As you may know, methane is 23 times more potent when it comes to warming the planet.

-snip-

(I've seen many estimates of how much more potent methane is than CO2, as a greenhouse gas.  Mostly between 22 and 30 times more)

Livestock emissions are greater than those of transportation. 

There are other harmful effects, as well:

https://www.ecowatch.com/which-is-worse-for-the-planet-beef-or-cars-1919932136.html

-snip-

meat unfortunately has to be transported in refrigerated trucks from feedlots to slaughterhouses to processing centers to your local grocery store. In this way, factory farming combines all of the harmful effects of driving an 18 wheeler, plus some.

-snip-

great thread! So many things need to change, and it could be seen as a good thing the more we educate. Food waste is one of the big issues regarding adding carbon to the atmosphere. There's that as well as the mono crop which destroys the diversity of so many living things, as well as the soil itself over time. The dead zones in the gulf are real. We are losing the coral reef due to warming seas, organic and non-organic pollution, and carbonic acidification disrupting the pH balance in the oceans.

Making big changes could save the environment for future generations. Doing the right things for the environment could make this a better world for all people who live now!

some of us remember this speech. It was well received by many at the time but was then quickly ridiculed. I remember those times which were difficult for most. I remember the hyper-inflation and what seemed to be a never ending recession with diminishing prospects for the future. I was eighteen at the time and remembered vaguely a more prosperous time that seemed to end forever when I was only a boy.  

The malaise speech was frank talk about valuing intrinsic hard work and purpose as well as creative thinking beyond simple quick reward. It's important to remember that Jimmy Carter grew up very poor. He was not the perfect president and yet he became what I always thought a leader should be.

Energy - green energy, the resolve to restore the environment using numerous ways - we need to think, spend a tremendous sum, and the outcome shall benefit all!

interesting thing about butterfly's. I heard this the other day on NPR. It's a simplified version, but I think I captured the basic premise here.

Peoples throughout the ages wondered quite a lot about the metamorphosis of a moth or butterfly from a caterpillar. Basically they go through 5 stages. Most moth form cocoons, and butterfly's create a chrysalis. But what happens inside? If you cut one open it's all this green goo. One thought was that the butterfly or moth was a different creature all together, using the green goo as a food to allow it to bloom. The truth, maybe that's not exactly correct.

A biologist trying to figure if it was the same insect performed an experiment.

She sprayed caterpillar with a pungent spray which contained a sugar. At first the caterpillar were averse to the spray until they got used to it since it contained what they needed to survive.

She then divided caterpillars into two groups, one group that got used to the spray, and a the control group which was not sprayed.

Once they became moths or butterfly's she then sprayed some plants that they could feed on. The group that got the spray liked the plants, the one that did not was averse to the plants.

Nature is freaking incredible. Was the pungent odor molecule carried into the green goo, or was the caterpillar a unique individual who went through complete metamorphosis?

Peace!