Fit2Serve

50 Years Ago...This Powered the Left's Rise

Woodstock....the first Zep Album.......Melanie's "Lay Down"........ the Doors, the Stones, the Byrds.......Janis Joplin.......and what we and they were ALL saying is as clear, true, and resonant today as it was then.......way, way back in 1969.

Yes, Time and the Tides do move on, but the crass, selfish, greedy, basic primal faults, failings, and follies of human natures do not.

Perhaps a little Soul Sacrifice would do America some good. 

18 hours ago, Fit2Serve said:

Woodstock....the first Zep Album.......Melanie's "Lay Down"........ the Doors, the Stones, the Byrds.......Janis Joplin.......and what we and they were ALL saying is as clear, true, and resonant today as it was then.......way, way back in 1969.

Yes, Time and the Tides do move on, but the crass, selfish, greedy, basic primal faults, failings, and follies of human natures do not.

Perhaps a little Soul Sacrifice would do America some good. 

I think the Vietnam war era spawned some of the greatest groups and music the world has ever seen.  The Hippies and "their" music changed American culture.  And helped move politics to the left.  Now with the rise of Conservatism, it sometimes seems like a lost dream.

I don't think it was really Vietnam that caused it. It was a cultural change that more than anything seems to have happened over a couple of decades as the country gradually evolved out of a cultural conservatism. You can look back to the 1950's and even before for observations such as the 'organization man' and the growth of everything from 'beat' culture like Lenny Bruce to the long gradual growth in rock music from the days of simple music - the culture had a rather oppressive feel to it, and mass communication and growing urbanization among other things seemed to spur change. Vietnam was an issue just as climate change and plutocracy are issues today, but they were more things that happened and got some responses than drove the culture. The country had turned against the war, but note that Nixon expanded the war, breaking his promise to end it, yet went from a close election to a re-election he won 49 states in against a strongly anti-war candidate. Hell, the Iraq war was unpopular yet Bush did better in re-election after starting it and finding no WMD than in his first election.

2 hours ago, Craig234 said:

It was a cultural change that more than anything seems to have happened over a couple of decades as the country gradually evolved out of a cultural conservatism.

There were many factors at play.  Among them, cultural change was partly responsible.  Another was the new affluence to which the Hippie generation was born into.   And the perceived financial security and freedom, which encouraged free expression. The Vietnam war and the draft, which was a direct threat to the entire generation, sparked a unique protest movement. 

Unfortunately, the very serious issues of Plutocracy, Climate Change and Species extinction do not seem to be as alarming to today's young people as the draft was, during the Vietnam war which was correctly seen by Hippies and many others, as unnecessary, unjust and immoral.

The counterculture of the 1960s and early 70s included the concepts of "makelove-not war"  flower power, the popularity of psychedelic drugs and psychedelic art.  The fashion of having the psychedelic experience also served as a form of protest.  Timothy Leary's 1967 appeal to "turn on, tune in and drop out"  at the Human Be-in a gathering of 30,000 Hippies in Golden State Park, San Francisco.

All of this had a strong influence on much of the music of the period, much of which was expressed in protest and rebellion.   The music tended to be experimental and innovative with strong emphasis on synthesized sounds and new forms.  In my estimation, it was one of the most creative times in the history of music.

Yes, about a general culture of rebellion and enormous musical creativity, I agree. I just don't think Vietnam caused much of it. Even the Beatles seemed to 'just think they should say something' about the protest issue, when they released 'revolution'. It was rather peripheral to their music.

John Lennon couldn't make up his mind whether he wanted to say you could 'count him in' or 'count him out', so he said in some performances you could 'count him out, in'. McCartney didn't want to release the song because he 'didn't want to stir controversy'.

You know, it says something that the vapid commercial creation 'The Monkees' sold more albums in the US than The Beatles while both were releasing albums. But it seems to me the period of about 1967-1980 was the peak of musical creativity.

I think all the things mentioned are side effects. The main cause of the change in culture is the same as the cause of the reaction.

Society has undergone a change in the means of wealth production, due to computing and science. It changed slowly at first, then quickly. People changed to accommodate, unconsciously and slowly at first.

Some people came from static and robust cultures and couldn't change. This causes conflict and reaction.

I hope society balances out before we destroy ourselves with climate change and extinction.

Great music.  The best.

But it was fueled by drugs and not the occasional worthwhile psychedelic kind, either.  I don't think it's too much of an exaggeration to say that coke and booze fueled a lot of the changes we saw in the 1980's, and were integral to the development of some cultural leaders, musicians and artists, activists, Wall Street players, even politicians.

Sadly the record companies began hammering groups for contract violations such as Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young,

I am also sad to see my simplistic prediction bear unwanted fruit: With the war being stopped by the people, the myth makers will shift that sentiment to pro POW sympathy.

On 1/16/2019 at 6:51 PM, Fit2Serve said:

Well, I prefer this version (cover the little one's ears).....

Tina needs it.

Me Too!

Happy Valentine's Day.

Fifty years ago, the left's rise was powered by counterculture, drugs and rebellion.  Today, the left is rising again, but from a much more mainstream footing.  The movement left of fifty years ago was fragile and easily erased by conservative propaganda.  Today, the left is ascending despite right wing propaganda.

I had always felt as thought the right started things off with propaganda back around the turn of the century and that prior to that most folks were stuck somewhere in the middle just trying to eek out a decent life. 

The Republican base is somewhat small and has always been as such. With the aid of propaganda the Republicans have always kept their party alive. It's been a difficult job at best, but by messing with the right to vote, fear mongering, as well as with catering to religious groups, mostly Christian regarding thorny issues like abortion, they have succeeded in decimating the middle class. 

Regarding the left - all of the above previously mentioned is true. You win small progressive policy issues only to be lost time after time. A minority of politicians have been fighting for single payer health insurance for several decades. Climate change science has been around for decades, and yet nothing is done. 

--- just my two cents.

Peace!