DennisTheMenace

We want our pay, hundreds of "furloughed" government workers say

trump-wall-shutdown.jpg

Hat's off to Mr. Trump,  his government shutdown is the second longest on record.  

He never finishes in second place, I'm confident his crew will be the record holder...real soon. 

Stay home or work without pay...what would you do?  🤔

Hundreds of furloughed federal employees chanting "We want our pay!" marched on the White House on Thursday, the 20th day of a partial government shutdown over U.S. President Donald Trump's demand for border wall funding.

"Stop the shutdown!" protesters shouted in the bitter cold at the union-organized demonstration that started at the AFL-CIO headquarters and ended in front of 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue, where they hoisted signs reading "Trump: End the Shutdown" and "Not a strike - we want to work."

Some 800,000 federal government employees have been ordered to stay home or work without pay during the shutdown brought on by a standoff between Trump and Democrats in Congress over Trump's demand for $5.7 billion to build a wall on the southern U.S. border with Mexico.

Trump, in a 2016 presidential campaign promise, repeatedly vowed that Mexico would pay for the wall. But he has said he will not sign any bill to reopen the government that does not provide wall funding.

Elaine Suriano, 62, a furloughed scientist with the Environmental Protection Agency, said she would have to dip into her retirement savings if the shutdown continued and robbed her of yet another paycheck.

"It's just clear that this administration doesn't understand normal people and real life or they wouldn't do this," Suriano said.

In its third week, the shutdown of about a quarter of the federal government is the second longest since the mid-1970s. Trump has said it could continue for months or even years.

Many furloughed federal workers have turned to online fundraising outlets such as GoFundMe.com to help cover expenses from food to utility bills.

Mathew Crichton, 32, a furloughed Peace Corps employee, said uncertainty over how long the shutdown will last made it impossible to budget for food, lodging and other needs.

"It could go on another day, and it could go on more weeks. It could go on for months," Crichton said. "It's really a shame that I'm ready to go to work. I'm able to go to work and I can't." Protesters, many wearing neon green vests reading, "I am a worker. I demand a voice," on Thursday demanded the government be reopened, separate from any debate over wall funding.

Smaller protests across the country – from Palm Beach, Florida, to New York City - had similar demands. In Ogden, Utah, dozens of out-of-work federal employees gathered to urge an end to the shutdown, some holding signs reading “I am TSA. I am furloughed. I am not a pawn. I’m a voter” and “800,000 unemployed. Hurts our family and our economy.”

Trump was not at the White House when the protesters arrived, having traveled to the U.S.-Mexico border in McAllen, Texas.

The president has said he has the right to declare a national emergency if no deal with Congress can be reached on funding the border wall project.

Blame the democrats

2 minutes ago, Z09 said:

Blame the democrats

Wolf! Wolf!

trump also has no bill to sign.....THERE HAS NOT BEEN A SPENDING BILL PASSED IN THE SENATE FOR HIM TO SIGN.....PERIOD

6 minutes ago, DeepBreath said:

Trump has nothing to lose. 

ABSOLUTELY NOT.....if he caves he loses it all

What a bunch of no money having yoon-yun losers, typical democrat voting pieces of obama. They blow their money like they’re [African-American slur] rich on things like big SUV’s, thousand dollar smartphones, and yearly luxury vacations, and haven’t managed to set aside anything for a rainy day fund.

They work for the gubmint where shutdowns are to be expected occasionally, but like the infantile children they are, still cry about not having any money. 😂😂

Zero Bad words given for these pukes, no wonder they need yoon-yuns and vote demonrat.

Trump the Rump should be fined $10,000 a day for his part in the destruction of the nations economy that impacts every community. And for all of those who stand with Trump the Rump no matter which party should be fined $5,000 a day.

Conservatives are proving to be dumb as hell and fiscally irresponsible. 

3 minutes ago, merrill said:

Trump the Rump should be fined $10,000 a day for his part in the destruction of the nations economy that impacts every community. And for all of those who stand with Trump the Rump no matter which party should be fined $5,000 a day.

Your COMMUNISM is showing. BECAUSE that is the way THEY do things in their little NO FREEDOM world.

Sucks you forgot to hide that part, huh??

9 minutes ago, merrill said:

Poor little yoon-yun pukes crying about being broke, yet it’s the conservatives who are dumb as hell and fiscally irresponsible? 😂😂

You are the perfect example of a leftist dipstick.

ever been on the receiving end of mob mentality organized to stop what all others are doing naturally Dennis the menace?  Then have to spend 19 years working with the same people that swore I would always have to have eyes in the back of my head because I would never see them coming up from behind because I didn't honor their union beliefs?

I did in August 1983.

when one takes a stand against all theaters of doubt that govern human behavior cradle to grave ancestrally, It isn't courage to make people believe through mob mentality and safety in numbers.

Just now, fishhead said:

The trump hits the fan today.

lol....Obama was the sh it skin......not trump

26 minutes ago, merrill said:

Destruction of the nation's economy?

The economy is as strong as its been in decades.

What are you even thinking?

50 minutes ago, BullConnor said:

Zero Bad words given for these pukes, no wonder they need yoon-yuns and vote demonrat.

If it weren't for Trump,They'd not need a union right now. 

30 minutes ago, TrumpBGoneSoon said:

If it weren't for Trump,They'd not need a union right now. 

Real adults don’t need a yoon-yun, period.

Someone needs to explain to these "furloughed" (laid off) workers that they aren't owed pay for not working.  But, to any furloughed federal worker out there, I have a job for you collecting eggs and cleaning chicken poo in my industrial chicken coops. 

4 hours ago, BullConnor said:

Real adults don’t need a yoon-yun, period.

Way back in the day, Businesses were known for hiring children to work 10 hours a day.   Those businesses made Unions a necessity.  

3 hours ago, Skans said:

Someone needs to explain to these "furloughed" (laid off) workers that they aren't owed pay for not working.  But, to any furloughed federal worker out there, I have a job for you collecting eggs and cleaning chicken poo in my industrial chicken coops. 

Some of those Furloughed workers are still doing their jobs despite not getting paid.  

4 minutes ago, TrumpBGoneSoon said:

Some of those Furloughed workers are still doing their jobs despite not getting paid.  

those working will get re-embursed once the budget is settled. they knew that before the stand-off and the ugly thing not said is those not working will get their back pay as well. How it usually operated.

Semantics first, hyperbole after that.

Why wasn't this passed easily last year again?  Somebody remind me?  It's such a good idea...that the GOP majority couldn't get it done?  And now they want to saddle the Democrats with it, so they can point to them in 2 years and say, "HE voted for the WALL!  He's a HYPOCRITE!!"  Great idea.

Just now, TrumpBGoneSoon said:

Way back in the day, Businesses were known for hiring children to work 10 hours a day.   Those businesses made Unions a necessity.  

Geez, thanks for the trip down history lane mr. professor. Let me know when all the resulting laws enacted to prevent such behavior are repealed so I can reconsider my opinion regarding yoon-yuns.

1 minute ago, sole result said:

those working will get re-embursed once the budget is settled. they knew that before the stand-off and the ugly thing not said is those not working will get their back pay as well. How it usually operated.

Semantics first, hyperbole after that.

There is no guarantee the back pay is forthcoming for those not working.

And for the contractors not working?  They're definitely not getting any back pay.  They're going out of business, is what they're doing.  CGI will take up the slack though.  Nothing to see here.

11 minutes ago, splunch said:

There is no guarantee the back pay is forthcoming for those not working.

And for the contractors not working?  They're definitely not getting any back pay.  They're going out of business, is what they're doing.  CGI will take up the slack though.  Nothing to see here.

gee, no guarrantee, but there is precedence it is usual and customarily taking place when these situations are acted out socially.  Got to keep the cast of characters loyal to reality and all that stuff.

you sound like Nancy Pelosi saying the law has to be passed to find out what is in it so nobody can stop what the end game was all along. 

this crap is nothing more than an intellectual exercise to keep self fulfilling prophecies happening as planned to look spontaneously going on.