laripu

Stupid criminal thread

On 1/4/2019 at 11:43 AM, laripu said:

Don't try to kidnap someone in a karate studio!

It's easy to forget that sometimes poetic justice really does happen.

4 hours ago, laripu said:

I actually feel a tiny bit sorry for the stupid thief. Just a tiny bit

Maybe a little sorry:).  He definitely got his comeuppence.

But as MMA fighter Polyana Viana modestly said "I only did it because I knew he did not have a gun".  Still the devastating injuries this small woman was able to wreak on a larger, stronger man, show the effectiveness of MMA.  She threw punches, finished him off with a choke and held him down until the police arrived.

I'm an MMA fan but I know that it would be foolhardy, even for the heavyweight champion, to try to overcome an armed criminal.

4 hours ago, bludog said:

I'm an MMA fan but I know that it would be foolhardy, even for the heavyweight champion, to try to overcome an armed criminal.

True. Any maneuver can somehow go awry, and then the armed criminal only needs to get one shot in.

But a clever fighter can follow the criminal's instructions and wait for an opportunity. If the criminal puts down the weapon for a second, they're dead meat.

2 hours ago, laripu said:

a clever fighter can follow the criminal's instructions and wait for an opportunity. If the criminal puts down the weapon for a second, they're dead meat.

That is 100% true.  In addition, it has been demonstrated that the gun hand can almost always be knocked aside at close range, before the trigger can be pulled.  Even when the gunman is expecting it.   Then, using superior strength/skill, he/she can wrestle the gun away.  But that takes guts and requires no slip-ups during execution.  It is a martial arts move that is better done, in the real world, only after repeated practice in the gym.

On the other hand, the criminal will often have planned his act well before-hand and be full of adrenaline during the crime.  He's likely to be super vigilant and expecting a sudden move.  While the victim is taken by surprise and often in shock.  Also, the criminal may have done the same thing many times before.  But if a crime victim has enough self-confidence, it can be done.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1&q=wrestling+a+pistol+away

Most law-enforcement advice is to follow instructions and avoid harm;  Your life is more important than your possessions.